Gebbly

Controlling a Tank?

Hi All,

I have just purchased a Centurion MkIII as my first foray into RC tanks. I have a FrSky Taranis X9D+ which I have initially tested by driving a little GF-01. I have started thinking about how I would use this transmitter to control a tank.

I have seen videos in which the left stick is used for all vehicle movement and the right stick is all turret movement.

But I have also seen videos in which the left stick up/down is tank forwards/backwards and left stick left/right rotates the turret and then right stick left/right turns the tank and right stick up/down raises/lowers the turret. I'm not sure which I am comfortable with yet. It looks a bit like trying to pat your head whilst rubbing your stomach. Any suggestions?

Do the Tamiya electronics automatically set the transmitter up in a particular way or do I choose how the transmitter is programmed to control the tank.

Secondly, my transmitter has a bunch of switches but no buttons. I can see how these can be used for turning things in the tank on and off but for something like firing a turret do I have to flick the switch on and immediately off for a turret fire? If I flick the switch and leave it in place does the turret just continue firing repeatedly?

Any and all advice greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

I had no problems with the second method. Never tried the first.

In my Tiger I and Jagdpanther, all the control was using a 4 channel system through the MFU. Can't remember exactly how, but no more than 4 channels were needed for the whole thing.

• Thanks 1

On 3/30/2023 at 3:13 PM, Gebbly said:

Hi All,

Secondly, my transmitter has a bunch of switches but no buttons. I can see how these can be used for turning things in the tank on and off but for something like firing a turret do I have to flick the switch on and immediately off for a turret fire? If I flick the switch and leave it in place does the turret just continue firing repeatedly?

You have to flick the switch on and off.  Leaving it on won't keep the tank continually firing.  You have to programme the switch to mimic the stick command to fire which will be detailed in the manual.

• Thanks 1

The second way you list is the ‘Tamiya’ way and what I’ve used since day one of RC tank school :)

Heng Long drive the way you describe first.

Centurion is a nice way to start with tanks!

• Thanks 1