Sign in to follow this  
Exit13

GF01 sounds and performs all bad?

Ever since I burnt thru a pinion on my gf01 it’s been sounding and performing all bad. I’ve replaced the pinion twice now second time with a hardened 18T .6 mod. Ruled out the motor being and issue and it’s sounds and performs horrible. Wondering is anyone else has gear box issues with this model and what to expect when I crack er open?  Maybe I can pre order parts in preparation for the dismantling. Any ideas as to why the gear box might  sound horrendous?

j71vJ8u.jpg

I’ve been rolling with a hot reedy radon. But not too hot. 

Never had any issues with mine running on the standard torque tuned motor (Even on 3S LiPo). 

The first 3 things that occur to me as possibilities are :

1. Eating through the stock pinion (Aluminium ?) has damaged the spur gear teeth

2. Incorrect pinion mesh has caused damage to the pinion and the spur gear.

3. Are you running the gearbox with roller bearings or the stock bushes. If you've been using 'hot' motors without replacing the stock bushes, it's possible you've worn down the bushes and that's causing slop / friction in the spur gear.

For what it's worth, I would take it apart and inspect carefully before buying anything. If there's been metal paste or bits of plastic gear teeth flying around inside there might all sorts of damage.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, MadInventor said:

Never had any issues with mine running on the standard torque tuned motor (Even on 3S LiPo). 

The first 3 things that occur to me as possibilities are :

1. Eating through the stock pinion (Aluminium ?) has damaged the spur gear teeth

2. Incorrect pinion mesh has caused damage to the pinion and the spur gear.

3. Are you running the gearbox with roller bearings or the stock bushes. If you've been using 'hot' motors without replacing the stock bushes, it's possible you've worn down the bushes and that's causing slop / friction in the spur gear.

For what it's worth, I would take it apart and inspect carefully before buying anything. If there's been metal paste or bits of plastic gear teeth flying around inside there might all sorts of damage.

I've got a couple of GF01s and they sound quite quiet given they are a giant gearbox!

If you've worn down a pinion I'd suggest that damage to the spur gear might have occurred. As @MadInventor says I would recommend opening up and perhaps sharing photos here before buying anything.

• Like 1

If you still have the instruction manual it is relatively simple to open and close the gearbox so definitely worth a look. If your pinion gear was damaged would it be possible for small filings or chips from the pinion gear to have broken loose inside the gearbox? If so they could be grinding around inside doing damage to the plastic gear teeth. I think if there were any chance at all of tiny flecks of metal getting loose and then being inside the gear grease anywhere I would be tempted to open the gearbox, carefully wipe all the components clean and apply fresh clean grease to remove any possible tiny fragments.

All my GF01's run great.  Some of them were driven  pretty hard too with all sorts of jumps and unintentional acrobatics.. :ph34r: thanks to my son years ago.

No issue.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

unintentional acrobatics.. :ph34r: thanks to my son years ago

Were you responsible for the far more mature "intentional acrobatics"? :)

I still remember making ramps out of spare bricks and planks of wood in the garden as a kid. Good for my hotshot or my bike :)

1 hour ago, Gebbly said:

Were you responsible for the far more mature "intentional acrobatics"? :)

I still remember making ramps out of spare bricks and planks of wood in the garden as a kid. Good for my hotshot or my bike :)

I had ramps on my old course and the GF01 was getting some decent air.  :D  My CW01's rear suspension broke after maybe 10 runs.. so modified that to run 3 coil springs on the rear instead of those little springs on the sides.  

I recently bought a Graw jump ramp for skateboards and have yet to try it out.  I want to first try landing over grass with my DF02 to see how the car behaves with the curved slope.  Should be fun.  I just need better weather..

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

bought a Graw jump ramp for skateboards and have yet to try it out

Sounds cool, gonna need a video :)

• Haha 1

Make sure to check that you have your motor mounted on the correct screw hole that corresponds to the pinion size you are using... I think the holes are for a 18t and 20t pinion size... if wrong hole is used, you'll have mesh problems... 

• Like 2

The 18 versus 20 hole is no doubt being used correctly I even put a 20 T just to check if that gave a different result. It was the same. I am using full bearings since I built it. The GFL one I believe. Has two spur gear. Thanks for all the replies I’ll open it up and let you know what I find out this weekend.

• Like 1