Sign in to follow this  
richb77

2 to 3 axle upgrade

Hi all. Some years ago I bought the Mercedes 1851 gigaspace and have gotten some time now to build. However...I'm lamenting I didn't get the 3363 3 axle version.

Does anyone know what extras are needed to convert? Or if it's even really worth it. Other than looks what does it offer?

Cheers

Based on a quick viewing of owner/assembly manuals for both kits, you would need a set of the longer frame rails and several cross members, as well as all the parts for the classic 2 axle rear suspension, a second axle and driveshaft, rear fenders, and finally, four more tires and two sets of rear wheels... as well as several screw bags.   Pricing on Ebay puts the 3363 at roughly $460 USD, (didn't look at german ebay) so, you would probably spend less money just buying a complete 3363 kit than you would buying those parts as replacement parts...  but make up your mind quick, it looks like Tamiya is out of stock on the 3633, so the pool of available 3363's will shrink...  and depending on how quickly Tamiya restocks, prices might go up.

a quick check on some of those parts (not 3363 specific, like the fenders) is over $300 in spare parts.

checking for the fender parts adds over $100, so yeah, getting all the replacement parts alone will get you within $50 of a complete kit.

• Thanks 1

Thanks chaps. Current projects prohibit that kind of moolah. I'll stick with the twin axle and work up to a 3 axle next big purchase.

Thanks for the work tim.senecal that was above and beyond and I really appreciate it!

Happy Tamiya Easter everyone!!

• Like 1