Beetlemankurt

Cleaning vintage coloured rims

Hey all, as per the title, who's discovered the best way to clean coloured vintage rims without affecting the strength of them? I've found info about using bleach on white rims, but nothing for the coloured stuff...

While these are Kyosho Ultima Pro rims, I'm hoping the incoming suggestions might be useful to others going forward no matter what vehicle brand you're dealing with (hence posting it here, not just restricting it to the kyosho section). 

These used to be a nice fluro yellow colour but seemed to have sucked up a load of dirt since the very late 80s/early 90s. Must have been having fun :).

What products should I try in order to brighten them up a bit? They don't have to be perfect as I've got a nice set for display so want to make these decent enough to be tidy runners.

I've already given  CRC/WD40 a try, it removed a bit but not much. Would oven cleaner work? (With the tyres removed first)....

Cheers in advance!

Kurt

20230402_181751.jpg

Clean it with soap and toothbrush. Then use something like Tamiya Compound Fine/ Autoglym Super Resin Polish. Just be sure, that you will change cloth often.

• Like 2

I usually use motor spray to remove grease/tar gunk.. CRC MAF Cleaner works great as well.  Spray into paper towel and wipe. I recommend you wear disposable gloves as it will remove all oils off your finger tips as well resulting in potential splits.. ouch

Honestly I would just buy new wheels to replace.. :ph34r:

• Like 1

Jumping on your thread. Is it possible to bring back white plastics that have turned yellow? Im talking wheels and wing mirrors

Be careful with bleach as it weakens the plastic and makes them brittle overtime. 

7 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

Jumping on your thread. Is it possible to bring back white plastics that have turned yellow? Im talking wheels and wing mirrors

Bleach will do this but don't use it on moving parts such as gears and wheels as I mentioned, it makes the plastic weaker.

Thanks all for the suggestions, I'll definately give it a whirl on the weekend and see how go. I'll do some before and after pics.

Cheers

Kurt

8 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

Be careful with bleach as it weakens the plastic and makes them brittle overtime. 

Bleach will do this but don't use it on moving parts such as gears and wheels as I mentioned, it makes the plastic weaker.

As in normal household Domestos?

On 4/2/2023 at 3:50 AM, skom25 said:

Clean it with soap and toothbrush. Then use something like Tamiya Compound Fine/ Autoglym Super Resin Polish. Just be sure, that you will change cloth often.

This. Soap and water is surprisingly effective. I usually just grab some dish soap because it's made to fight grease (and we always have it in the house).

Haven't tried any type of polish on wheels, but I've used Blue Magic metal polish to polish all kinds of things including plastic and paint. Just don't use it on chromed plastic parts or it will remove the chrome!

I use a sonic cleaner, they usually come out like new and my sonic cleaner isnt even a top range one just picked a 750ml one off amazon (it fits one wheel at a time) but does the job.