Frog Jumper

Kyosho Mini Z. Opinions???

There are two tennis courts at my local community pool.  They don’t get used very much bc they are old and the concrete is cracked in places.  But I thought it might be a decent place for a small on road circuit.  But it’s not that big so a 1/10 might be too much.  That got me thinking about the Kyosho Mini Z cars…

Are the Mini Z cars any good?  Would a tennis court be a good place to drive one?  Hop-ups?  Ease of use and modification?

For $200, I can get a decent TT02.  Should I do that instead???

Thanks!

another question would be...would they let you run rc cars on the tennis courts? Any concerns about tires marking the surface?

I've got a Mini-Z and based on your description of where you'll be driving I would not reccomend it for that. I'd go for a TT-02 or an M-chassis personally. On the other hand, the hop-ups and modifications for mini-z's are basically endless and they are a whole lot of fun to race, my LHS started a race series for them and it's been pretty successful. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Gebbly said:

another question would be...would they let you run rc cars on the tennis courts? Any concerns about tires marking the surface?

I’m the Director of Operations…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

An apartment I used to live in had a similarly disused tennis court. Nobody minded if I ran RC cars on it. Never left any tire marks behind.

I found the sweet spot to be 1/12 or M-chassis cars. I think Mini-Zs would feel too small and slow in that much space. Indoors, in, say, an unused conference room, they're brilliant.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

I’m the Director of Operations…

Lol, sounds like its fine then. You could even get some paint and paint a track :)

• Like 1

I have various Mini-Z's including the latest EVO RWD and 4WD running off my 7PXR.  They are fast, especially with the red motor which I run.  :D

Given what I know, I would spend the money on the RWD EVO as they are like pan cars, precise to drive, and super fun.. the 4WD onroad cars, I'd just get the cheapo's that come with the radio and not the EVO.  I find myself fighting the car all the time vs making meaningful input to make them car go where I want them to go.  The steering servo saver is pretty much junk imho even with the sus spacer to remove the play.  The car just does not want to go straight after a turn 60% of the time and at the red motor speeds, it is dangerously near out of control frequently.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gebbly said:

Lol, sounds like its fine then. You could even get some paint and paint a track :)

Yeah it’s good to be the King…

• Like 1

I agree here. Too big for miniZ, I would go for M-chassis or as said, 1/12 pan car but if the pavement is not perfect and it's dusty I think M-chassis is the best. Some people underestimate M-chassis as a minor thing but it's super fun and ultra hopupable. 

• Like 3

Honestly the Mini-Z EVO's running red motors can easily cover a tennis court.. it is fast.  I mean it is faster than your typical m-chassis.  Your typical Mini-Z is pretty quick but the EVO with red motors are different league..ballistic fast.  

However I agree that the larger tire size and suspension stroke of the m-chassis would absorb imperfections of the surface a lot better.   If speed is what you are after on unprepared surface, I would try the Fantom EXT.   That is another superb machine.  

IMG_2023-1-21-195506.jpg.c118959d97571b52484c16a3ccc72fd8.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Willy iine said:

IMG_2023-1-21-195506.jpg.c118959d97571b52484c16a3ccc72fd8.jpg

I want this car so bad but I’m not sure I’ll ever find a place to drive it. I’m afraid my proposed track is too small.

ATM I’m looking at M Chassis’ cars…

• Like 2

Love my M08 concept (I am a RWD fan) it’s been a fantastic reliable car park basher / Postal Racer. For the general 8 metre x 4 metre circuits the 17.5 brushless I find plenty quick enough. It also takes a full size square LiPo or a round one. I prefer the Square one as the terminals are on top of the pack so the wires don’t bulge the Mini’s body out. I believe the Mini Z’s run 4 AA’s?

There are reports of the front uprights breaking because of the little ‘pill’ inserted in them. I shoe goo’ed mine it at the start and haven’t had any problems.

The new M chassis might be worth  considering as it can be built FWD or RWD with different motor positions too.

It might be worth looking at Losi’s 1/16 range as well. I often been tempted by the buggy’s they seem to back a punch for the size. 

• Like 2

If I had to run a mini-z outside - it would be the buggy for me, should be fine with very small stones and bumps. The other mini-z's are just to low to run on anything but the smoothest surface.

For a tennis court an M-Chassis car would be ideal though!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Love my M08 concept (I am a RWD fan) it’s been a fantastic reliable car park basher / Postal Racer. For the general 8 metre x 4 metre circuits the 17.5 brushless I find plenty quick enough. It also takes a full size square LiPo or a round one. I prefer the Square one as the terminals are on top of the pack so the wires don’t bulge the Mini’s body out. I believe the Mini Z’s run 4 AA’s?

There are reports of the front uprights breaking because of the little ‘pill’ inserted in them. I shoe goo’ed mine it at the start and haven’t had any problems.

The new M chassis might be worth  considering as it can be built FWD or RWD with different motor positions too.

It might be worth looking at Losi’s 1/16 range as well. I often been tempted by the buggy’s they seem to back a punch for the size. 

I’m looking at the M08 now.  Look delightful.  I’ll have to see what my LHS has in stock and make a decision.

Another question:  M08 or MB01?

Terry

2 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

Another question:  M08 or MB01?

Terry

Traditionally, as you know, the answer is both 😉

I don’t know your budget, but the M08 doesn’t come with any electronics, body or tyres. You get wheels though. Just something to factor in.

I don’t know if the MB01 is available yet but probably not far away. I think they are more complete to get you running like a basic TTxx kit. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have mini z buggy with brushless motor. It is fast… and would be a good candidate for tennis court (i find it bit too fast for indoor)

Size comparison between m05 and mini z buggy VE.

Mini z is so good, I am thinking of getting 4x4 :)

IMG_6632.jpeg

• Like 1

I have 3 mini z 's 1 awd 2 4x4 love em. But  running them outside could result in damage.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2023 at 9:49 PM, Frog Jumper said:

I’ve asked my LHS to order me an M07

I have one for sale, if you're interested DM me.

I'm mixed on Mini Zs, very detailed, very expensive. Kinda fragile in my experience.

• Like 1