burakol

Super Sabre Restored

After about six months of when I first acquired this OG Super Sabre, I finally got to finish it last night. I did not do a build catalog as it wasn't really a build per se... I just had to disassemble, clean, update broken parts, and rebuild... 

Here are the photos: 

The mess I got myself into...

Y22yxMHm.jpg

I actually don't remember if I got this for free, or I actually paid for it... if ever I did, I think I paid less than $20 for it with the matching homemade pit box.

xjKXCFdm.jpg

And here are the finished product... 

I opted to go non-box art. I was having a hard time getting a silver paint so I decided to use Gun Metal PS-23 instead. It was a bit dark for my liking but I already have my Dynahead painted with the bright gun metal version and I didn't want it to be the same... 

RPFJai3m.jpg
3q5SPGvm.jpg

I 3d printed a driver figure... due to the smaller shell size, I wasn't able to install a full cockpit... I have to redesign it when I get the chance. 
o9yfQyRm.jpg

I used a repro shell from Team Blue Groove and decals from MCI racing. The repro shell itself is scaled smaller than the original shell (which I kept but in bad shape)... I had some finagling to do in order to get the rear wing cover underneath to fit. I think this part was critical in keeping the kit looking OG. 
JAfqnywm.jpg

I also decided to keep the resistor installed for cosmetic reasons... 
pyaUdOtm.jpg

It actually came with a Blue Sprint motor which I decided to re-use. I paired it with a HW 1060 ESC.
BzCtAWkm.jpg

Plasti-dipped the inside chassis cover... In some of my other builds, I actually used Plasti-dip paints instead of a polycarb paint... All red bits and pieces are original including the dampers and springs... 
xwaBfLOm.jpg

Overall, the Super Sabre is about 50/50 original... I had to use some parts from the rere boomerang/HS like the chassis tub, suspension arms, front hubs,  and wheels... and while I was at it, I also made sure to use ball bearings all around... 

• Like 9

On 4/9/2023 at 3:20 AM, Kowalski86 said:

It's always neat when a motor cosmetically matches whichever RC it's in.

I can't lie - that's entirely why my Top Force Evo has a matching gunmetal motor. It's not even like this or an Avante where it's properly on show.

• Like 1