Sign in to follow this  

Hello 

I just purchased my first RC car which is the Quick Drive 2001 Subaru 1:10 scale . I was wondering if I could chasis swap it to a better performing chassi with minimal hassle. I want to use this car on the dirt in more rally conditions with jumps. Anything helps thanks in advance 

5DA52C57-96C5-48FD-B80C-D09C3A87BEE4.jpeg

86DAB02B-9613-42B8-8E53-FAC61C621295.jpeg

• Like 1

Welcome, and yes you can.

The QD Subaru shell is the same track width and wheelbase as most 1/10 scale touring cars so the wheels will line up with the arches, and the front two screw holes for attaching it to the QD chassis line up with standard Tamiya body post locations. Not sure about the rear ones - when I did this it was with a QD Focus which uses different rear mounts - but I suspect they'll line up too.

• Like 1

Sounds like you are just buying another RC car. Why complicate things?

• Like 2

Depending on where you are, a TT-02 First Try chassis costs £80 or less elsewhere (USD70 from RCM). A TT-02 "bag" cost even less, about £60. A body costs about £30 (USD25 from RCM for a 07 Subaru). A 99 Subaru TT-02 kit costs ~£120 from various online retailers. But see below.

4 hours ago, Diego145 said:

with minimal hassle

Depends on what you mean by that statement. Do you want to build or just want to pop the body and battery on and drive? The First Try is only party build and require some screwing together. You will also need to get electronics like radio gear, servo, etc... 

If you do not want to build at all, search for RTR touring car chassis which comes ready build and Ready To Run. MST XXX is a great set that comes ready to go.

If you want to build, and is willing to spend more than the budget TT-02, then the XV-01/02 is a much better option. There are other alternatives like the TA-02 but need some modifications/part change.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Exit13 said:

Sounds like you are just buying another RC car. Why complicate things?

I bought it because it’s my car in real life. I have a 03 Subaru wrx. I thought it would be cool to drive a mini version of it.

3 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Do you want to build or just want to pop the body and battery on and drive

I would like to just pop the shell to a new chassi with all the electronics to save the hassle. But I also don’t want to break the bank. I want to stay budget friendly.(if that’s even an option)

Will the touring cars be good to use on dirt tracks with twist and turns and jumps ? 

6 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

The QD Subaru shell is the same track width and wheelbase as most 1/10 scale touring cars

2 hours ago, Diego145 said:

Will the touring cars be good to use on dirt tracks with twist and turns and jumps ? 

It depends on which chassis you choose. Some like the XV-01 and XV-02 are designed for rally use and would be very good at this. Others designed for multipurpose use such as the TT-02 would do a reasonable job but are not optimized for it, but then they are a lot more affordable. Then you also get purpose-designed on-road race chassis that would not be much good that all off-road.

23 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

It depends on which chassis you choose. Some like the XV-01 and XV-02 are designed for rally use and would be very good at this. Others designed for multipurpose use such as the TT-02 would do a reasonable job but are not optimized for it, but then they are a lot more affordable. Then you also get purpose-designed on-road race chassis that would not be much good that all off-road.

This. Depends of course on whether you want to get a little more into this but my TT-02, which is very much on a budget, requires a bit of tinkering and research and a few different parts to make it work on rally terrain. I also have an XV-01 which does it out of the box really well. Even with the tinkering the TT-02 is cheaper, but in the end it might not be by all that much and if it was to get near the XV in performance or toughness (mine won't) it'd cost more. I'm not saying splash out on an XV-01. My TT-02 is loads of fun. Just eyes open and all that. 

NB, if you just want to drive it, other makes might give better bang for buck. Tamiya is a little more about the building, tinkering etc than many others. 

I would like to just pop the shell to a new chassi with all the electronics to save the hassle. 

RTR then, maybe this.

https://www.rcmart.com/mst-xxx-lancia-delta-integrale-1-10-4wd-rtr-rally-car-kit-531403-00066741

Take the body it comes with off and pop yours on. Most Tamiya are not suitable for you as they will normally require some level of building and electronics, unless you buy a second hand ready built with all the required bits already done.

Touring car (TC) is just a reference to the size, wheelbase 257mm(ish), width 190mm. They can be road cars or rally cars. I (and many others) had built road only cars to rally cars using various methods. 

23 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

require some level of building and electronics, unless you buy a second hand ready built with all the required bits already done

I was also wondering this is, well if it would just be cheaper for me to build the tt02 kit on my own and supply the needed plastic replacements for rally and figure out the electronics on my own. Or just find and buy a prebuilt tt02 kit with all the bits and supply the electronics on my own. 

There are also plenty of second hand TT02s on eBay with electronics and hop ups that have either never been run or not run very much. Might be cheaper.

19 minutes ago, Elbowloh said:

There are also plenty of second hand TT02s on eBay with electronics and hop ups that have either never been run or not run very much. Might be cheaper.

Thank you ima start looking tomorrow in the morning see if I can’t find any

24 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

First of all. Whats your budget?

And location too as prices can vary wildly between countries.

1 hour ago, alvinlwh said:

And location too as prices can vary wildly between countries.

1 hour ago, Kpowell911 said:

First of all. Whats your budget?

I’m thinking $150 but I don’t really wanna go over $200 and I live in the USA

32 minutes ago, Diego145 said:

I’m thinking $150 but I don’t really wanna go over $200 and I live in the USA

For that money, you can probably only get a basic TT-02.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/search?q=Tt-02&prefn1=discontinued&prefv1=false&start=0&sz=24&return=true

Add in the radio set, servo, maybe ESC (not sure if USA kits come with it or not), you will be looking at USD200. That is not even including the "essential big 3" upgrades.

2 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

For that money, you can probably only get a basic TT-02.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/search?q=Tt-02&prefn1=discontinued&prefv1=false&start=0&sz=24&return=true

Add in the radio set, servo, maybe ESC (not sure if USA kits come with it or not), you will be looking at USD200. That is not even including the "essential big 3" upgrades.

Well I found these online for a XV-01 over my price a little but I’m willing to get these if they are better out of the box than TT-02. Would spending just a little more be substantially better

https://www.amazon.com/Tamiya-America-Lancia-Integrale-TAM58569/dp/B00CI064VE

https://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-1-10-xv-01-subaru-impreza-wrx-sti-ep-58528-00035267

6C18393D-C434-4C9C-8423-870554F093AF.png

C64E5797-8D85-42DE-A37E-5F360BB9B43A.png

On 4/13/2023 at 2:10 AM, Diego145 said:

Well I found these online for a XV-01 over my price a little but I’m willing to get these if they are better out of the box than TT-02. Would spending just a little more be substantially better

https://www.amazon.com/Tamiya-America-Lancia-Integrale-TAM58569/dp/B00CI064VE

https://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-1-10-xv-01-subaru-impreza-wrx-sti-ep-58528-00035267

6C18393D-C434-4C9C-8423-870554F093AF.png

C64E5797-8D85-42DE-A37E-5F360BB9B43A.png

The XV-01 is no doubt way much better than a TT-02 out of the box. Incomparable. 

On 4/12/2023 at 11:36 AM, alvinlwh said:

Whatever your choice, just remember you have to add ESC, radio gear and servo too.

I think I have decided. I’ll save up to get a XV-01 do you have any recommendations with the electronics to use for it ? 

3 minutes ago, Diego145 said:

I think I have decided. I’ll save up to get a XV-01 do you have any recommendations with the electronics to use for it ? 

Brushed or brushless?

You see, this is how RC gets you. 

You started with a QD, then thought about a TT02 and before you know it, you're buying a XV01! It's like a drug.

I only bought my first proper RC in September, I've now got 6 kits/cars (only 3 finished, 2 were second hand).

• Haha 1