4 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

That will be the silver one right?

Yes!

On 4/18/2023 at 11:29 AM, Jonesy924 said:

Thanks guys, I've just completed a purchase of a 540 sport tune and 18/19t pinion set from fusion hobbies 

Hopefully I'll get massive rooster tails at the beach and I'll keep the 380 silver can as a backup motor. 

Again thank you for the advice 👌

Turns out Tamiya Sp-355 18/19t pinion set doesn't work with a grasshopper /sport tune 😭😭😭

I just bought a set thinking it was what I needed without looking into properly 🤷🏿‍♂️

On 4/18/2023 at 5:11 AM, Dan1891 said:

OK!  So my old 1st gen Black Motor can't be used with this ESC then!

I think this one is 23T?

P1060355.JPG

The specs are very similar to, but a bit weaker than, a modern Sport Tuned so it should work just fine. It should draw a bit less current and it should be safe to try with the worst case being thermal cut off in the ESC.

(There's always a risk you could fry something so take into account how precious that ESC is to you! E.g. personally I've got a few half broken ESCs that were tragic accidents at the time, but then I did things like jam them into a low-wind Lunchbox with a few fans as a form of "early retirement" but I wouldn't be so cavalier if I didn't have a spare.)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, droidy said:

The specs are very similar to, but a bit weaker than, a modern Sport Tuned so it should work just fine. It should draw a bit less current and it should be safe to try with the worst case being thermal cut off in the ESC.

(There's always a risk you could fry something so take into account how precious that ESC is to you! E.g. personally I've got a few half broken ESCs that were tragic accidents at the time, but then I did things like jam them into a low-wind Lunchbox with a few fans as a form of "early retirement" but I wouldn't be so cavalier if I didn't have a spare.)

Thnks! I maybe give it a try then!

14 hours ago, Jonesy924 said:

Turns out Tamiya Sp-355 18/19t pinion set doesn't work with a grasshopper /sport tune

Do not use Tamiya SP pinions, they are the same as the stock soft pinions. SP means Spare Part which is not an upgrade.

1 minute ago, alvinlwh said:

Do not use Tamiya SP pinions, they are the same as the stock soft pinions. SP means Spare Part which is not an upgrade.

Oops again then 😂 🤷🏿‍♂️ it will be fine, if it strips the gears I'll just upgrade the whole lot. Didn't want a steel one because I take it to the beach quite a lot and didn't want to deal with it rusting after every run. I'll look for a coated one next time

Screenshot_20230422-131931.png

1 hour ago, Jonesy924 said:

Oops again then 😂 🤷🏿‍♂️ it will be fine, if it strips the gears I'll just upgrade the whole lot. Didn't want a steel one because I take it to the beach quite a lot and didn't want to deal with it rusting after every run. I'll look for a coated one next time

With the amount of grease in the gearbox, I think it will be fine, unless you are running it under sea water.

In my LHS which is Tamiya distributor, I found THW-1060-RTR ESC. It looks like Hobbywing 1060, but radiator is black and switch does not have dust protector.

Is this another HW 1060 repack?

I really want to use HW 1060 but red radiator is disgusting...

The Tamiya has a lower motor turn limit (8T vs 12T) and the HW has a higher BEC rating (3A/6V vs 2A/5V)

It sounds like HW will be better for me, because I do not have plan to go for fast motors and I want to have faster e.g. servo and fan.

Am I right?

Probably. I do wonder if the actual specs are actually different or if they're just sifferent on paper. Is it really worth making two different units so close in spec with a different switch? And why would Tamiya ask for a lower turn rating and lower BEC power?

30 minutes ago, skom25 said:

Where have you found specs? I found 3A 6V.

They are all the same.

0DYhUGT.jpg

kLtGuFc.jpg

rrIrdPo.jpeg

It is the 1040 that is 5V/2A.

FWkD9i0.jpg

Thanks @alvinlwh, the site I read must have been wrong.

@skom25 - is that an old version and the latest models are all 3A/6V?

So with the Carson Dragster version included too, the only difference is turn count. Are they really different? :blink:

6 minutes ago, Twinfan said:

So with the Carson Dragster version included too, the only difference is turn count. Are they really different? :blink:

TBH, I do not believe there is any real difference.

29 minutes ago, skom25 said:

Hmm...

regulator-quicrun-wp-1060-60a-1-10.jpg

Yes, HW contradict themselves with their picture vs specs.

2NoHb0p.jpg

Hi all.  I’m just about to build a lunch box and have bought the Tamiya Sport Tuned Motor and the TBLE-04S ESC.  I’m a little confused with the above as I’m a newbie.  Will this esc work ok or do I need a different one. 

ha is in advance 

5 minutes ago, Dazg23 said:

Hi all.  I’m just about to build a lunch box and have bought the Tamiya Sport Tuned Motor and the TBLE-04S ESC.  I’m a little confused with the above as I’m a newbie.  Will this esc work ok or do I need a different one. 

ha is in advance 

I'm using this setup on my Grasshopper with absolutely no issues whatsoever, standby for some decent speed. I would recommend not using it on the tarmac or enclosed area, I powerslided into a wooden flower box at high speed and split the shell on one side, grasshopper and hornet are now dedicated beach and open area machines 🤣😜

That’s great to know thank you. 

couldn’t work out if the rec would work with the motor and mine is t doing anything so I guess I need to set it up first. 

Yeah follow the instructions and make sure you have channel 1 for steering and channel 2 for drive 👌

3 minutes ago, Jonesy924 said:

Yeah follow the instructions and make sure you have channel 1 for steering and channel 2 for drive 👌

Have done.  But nothing a the led is flashing red.  Will get a proper look at it though as only plugged into try as per step 1

thanks for the help