BuggyDad

Is a stadium truck what we want?

My lad is enthusiastic about building another kit, so some time in the coming months we'll probably do that. But what? It's not an imminent purchase, rather just kicking ideas around. 

I fed in the idea of a rally car but it didn't really take (and to be honest, I think that's right anyway, much as I'd love to build an XV-01 with him we'd have to leave home to run it). The idea of some sort of truck did though, or some other bigger wheeled machine. Not so much a tall traditional monster truck, more your stadium truck type of thing, or something else usable in the same sort of running. So I'm thinking:

- it'd be run like we bash with a buggy, so could take speed, needs OK stability

- but needs more ground clearance and wheel size for grass and the rough hard old surface of our yard (which is basically old sharp 50mm gravel long since bedded down into a hard surface; bumps a little on the big side for a 1/10 buggy)

- needs to be a good build experience and I'm minded to go 4wd both to differentiate it from his truggy wheeled DT-03 in driving terms and for a bit extra in the build. Also wary this seems to be headed towards a class of vehicle that is again RTR-dominated. That's definitely not for us. 

- I think it'd be the car to take our worst abuses, so toughness is important. We aren't going to be sending it into orbit like skate park you-tubers but experience tells me I want a quite different level of toughness for this than DT-03.

- decent ish dirt/water resistance, so no exposed gears for example. 

There are obvious answers, like Traxxas Stampede which I see comes in kit form, although I don't want proprietary electronics or particularly to support Traxxas, and perhaps irrationally I'm a bit off entering a world which looks a bit generic/characterless/dumbed down. But I'm also early in my thinking. I don't know that we want this class of vehicle at all even, and I'm interested in whacky ideas out of left field too. 

• Like 2

A stadium truck will have similar ground clearance as your truggy-wheeled DT-03. For 1/10 you’d need a monster truck but those aren’t as stable as a buggy. 1/8 scale would give you the ground clearance and stability but there are very few of those in kit form and those that are in kit form tend to be the race versions which are more expensive

• Like 3

My GF-01 4wd Land Cruiser is good fun bashing around a bumpy garden. Gears are all sealed in. It was a fun build with plenty of gears and the 4 point suspension. There are Jimny and dump truck chassis variants.

https://tamiyabase.com/chassis/150-gf-01#models-with-gf-01-chassis

It is compatible with parts from all sorts of other kits so I swapped out the arms for longer ones from another kit to give it a wider stance and prevent rolling on corners and it can take all sorts of hop ups to give you even more build experience. Plenty fast enough with the torque-tuned motor that is provided and a NiMH battery. You can even go more extreme and get the Konghead which is a 6 wheel variant.

https://tamiyabase.com/index.php?option=com_joodb&view=article&joobase=21&id=230&Itemid=1063#models-with-g6-01-chassis

• Like 2

Konghead is a good call. Intermediate build that needs lots of bearings.. can be upgraded to 4ws steer if you want. Personally I don’t think they need cva’s. It’s one of the few that doesn’t seem to improve much. Seems fairly bomb proof.

Or old skool what about a Blitzer. With the beetle body it’s quite heavy but the Stadium body ( same as Rock Socker) is great. They can take plenty of power and deal with all kinds if terrain 

• Like 5

Could get shot down for saying it, but I don't think Tamiya has a model which fits this criteria particularly well.

Tamiya models are quite fragile by comparison and frankly get blown out of the water on performance by the influx of short-course trucks (mostly RTR as you've seen unfortunately). 

I bought (on impulse) a Kyosho Outlaw Pro last year for bashing duties, because like you I didn't want to line Traxxas' pockets. It's an incredibly tough, cool-looking thing which comes half-assembled. It's odd in that it's motor-on-axle. Slipper clutch and early batches had an issue with the spur gear being incredibly loud - I replaced mine. Beautiful, smooth-action suspension with long travel. The stock wheels / tyres go really well on grass and can easily be upgraded for something grippier as they're crawler-size 1.9" wheels.  

Can't recommend it highly enough (well, unless it had a Tamiya badge on it...) :lol:

• Like 6

I was going to vote "CW-01", but then you had to go and use the word "stable!". 

Maybe you could try a Mad Bull out? They're said to be one of Tamiyas tougher models, and they have large monster truck wheels. Maybe someone with more experience could chime in.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Could get shot down for saying it, but I don't think Tamiya has a model which fits this criteria particularly well.

Tamiya models are quite fragile by comparison and frankly get blown out of the water on performance by the influx of short-course trucks (mostly RTR as you've seen unfortunately). 

You're not wrong, I have a non-Tamiya RC specifically for heavy-bashing dutys to help keep my Tamiyas in one piece. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, one_hit said:

A stadium truck will have similar ground clearance as your truggy-wheeled DT-03. For 1/10 you’d need a monster truck but those aren’t stable as a buggy. 1/8 scale would give you the ground clearance and stability but there are very few of those in kit form and those that are in kit form tend to he the race versions which are more expensive

Ground clearance as per a truggy wheeled DT might be enough actually. I don't mean my list of requirements to be overly precise and I might not keep to them. 

24 minutes ago, ChrisRx718 said:

My mind was headed this way. I think in this case I am minded to chase greater bashing toughness than Tamiya offers, and would be interested in options that are in the very approximate driving category of these but available as kits. It doesn't have to be Tamiya. But then equally it doesn't have to go that way at all. 

1 hour ago, Gebbly said:

Konghead

I have no idea whether this is the answer but it's just the kind of left-field idea I was after! 

44 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

How about a G6-01TR?

https://www.carmodelstore.co.uk/tamiya-rc-58660-dynahead-6x6-g6-01tr-off-road-vehicle-1-18-assembly-kit/

However, @BuggyDad do wait and see if I actually get my XV-01 from them before ordering -OR- make sure you use PayPal.

Funnily enough it was in part your XV-01 purchase that triggered this line of thought. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, ChrisRx718 said:

I bought (on impulse) a Kyosho Outlaw Pro last year for bashing duties, because like you I didn't want to line Traxxas' pockets. It's an incredibly tough, cool-looking thing which comes half-assembled. It's odd in that it's motor-on-axle. Slipper clutch and early batches had an issue with the spur gear being incredibly loud - I replaced mine. Beautiful, smooth-action suspension with long travel. The stock wheels / tyres go really well on grass and can easily be upgraded for something grippier as they're crawler-size 1.9" wheels.  

Can't recommend it highly enough (well, unless it had a Tamiya badge on it...) :lol:

Good call

7 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

Funnily enough it was in part your XV-01 purchase that triggered this line of thought. 

52 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

How about a G6-01TR?

https://www.carmodelstore.co.uk/tamiya-rc-58660-dynahead-6x6-g6-01tr-off-road-vehicle-1-18-assembly-kit/

However, @BuggyDad do wait and see if I actually get my XV-01 from them before ordering -OR- make sure you use PayPal.

Problem with the TR version is it’s very low geared. It’s a great crawler with 6wd but it’s no speed machine. It’s worth it if you want to do something else with the portal axles?

1 hour ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Right on. We need a modern Nissan King Cab / Toyota Hi-Lux Monster Racer.

1 hour ago, Busdriver said:

Or old skool what about a Blitzer. With the beetle body it’s quite heavy but the Stadium body ( same as Rock Socker) is great. They can take plenty of power and deal with all kinds if terrain 

Stadium Blitzer could work too. Add some Schumacher Vee Truck Tyres.

EDIT: Dyna Blaster... :ph34r:

• Like 1

Lots of great ideas and as @ChrisRx718 said Tamiya don’t have really the right model.

However @Busdriver has suggested exactly what I would - Konghead and a Blitzer.

KH will be a good build with some pretty decent options and hop ups, pretty robust and great fun to run imo.

The Blitzer is an easy build, there’s not masses you can change but it is still a great runner, stable and robust. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

Oh I am a bad influence!

49 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

Problem with the TR version is it’s very low geared. It’s a great crawler with 6wd but it’s no speed machine. It’s worth it if you want to do something else with the portal axles?

I wonder if a hot motor will overcome the low speed? I had not seen much G6-01TR videos, but the GF-01TR videos I seen seem to be a fast truck, no where near a crawler.

17 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

I wonder if a hot motor will overcome the low speed? I had not seen much G6-01TR videos, but the GF-01TR videos I seen seem to be a fast truck, no where near a crawler.

Trail truck is a better description. I’ve only ever run a silvercan or 55t  motor. Not as quick as a standard Konghead or Big Yellow. A hot motor might pep it up a bit

2 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Blitzer

40 minutes ago, bavee said:

Blitzer 

28 minutes ago, Grumpy pants said:

Blitzer

What insanity is this? 

Are you lot trying to get me into a Falcon by the back door? 😅

Alternative view (and a wild diversion): has anyone taken a Blitzer, stuck yellow buggy wheels and some kind of repro Falcon shell on it? Does that make a Falcon with wishbone rear suspension and a front end that stays fixed to the tub (I am assuming the front end of the Blitzer stays put - it can't be the same as the Falcon if it's considered robust)? 

What am I missing? That's a project I could get behind!

• Like 1

I can't imagine a Blitzer is going to offer much if anything more than a DT03 truck. 

One of the guys at the Tamiya Junkies meets has a kyosho mad van. It's really wide, looks cool as ****** and has big wheels. 

• Like 3

I'm going to second a G6-01 - not the TR variant, though, as I think the portals will make it too slow and add complexity you don't need.  I run mine in standard trim but with a hot brushless setup and it's a riot.  Mine has been indestructible (except the plated wheels, which are a known weak spot - a variant with non-plated wheels might be better) and parts are readily available.

I think it's already been mentioned, you can add TL-01B arms to increase width and stability, and if that costs you too much turning circle you can install rear-wheel steering (be nice if this was switchable on your Tx because it can make them unstable at speed).

I run mine with standard arms and no-rear steer, there's plenty of turning circle for my garden and I avoid it rolling over by not driving too fast in corners.

I'm going to vote down the suggestion of a Blitzer Beetle - not because it's not good, it's great, I just don't think it will offer you anything your truggy-wheel DT-03 doesn't already have.  They are basically the same philosophy - a rear-motor, RWD buggy with big wheels on.  Unless you wanted to similar-spec cars that you could run side-by-side.

Thinking outside the box, there's no reason you couldn't add truggy wheels to a 4wd buggy.  The rolling radius on a stadium truck tyre isn't much different to a 2.2 buggy tyre, so gearing should be fine.

TBH this is really where we need a simple 4x4 stadium truck / fake monster truck like the Stampede, but made by Tamiya.  The closes they made was the Wild Dagger and its multiple body variants.  It's plenty fast enough for garden action with silvercans (it's mental on 3S) but the dual motor config makes it harder to source suitable faster motors (hence why I suggest the easy 3S option).  I don't think you can get a genuine 4x4 variant any more, but you might find a used WR-01, which is the 4x4 option, or if you buy a WT-01 (2wd version) you can buy a whole second gearbox assembly to make it 4x4.  There is a caster block option for the front end if you fit the front gearbox, which improves handling - not needed on the 2wd version as the non-driven front end has kickup.

• Like 3

I ran my blitzer last week for the first time... Fitted with a modified DT-02 sand viper shell and wing as I didn't want my boys to destroy the beetle shell. Turns out they're better drivers than me anyway :D

Found it very stable, good fun, easy to handle, and pretty decent ground clearance. All on stock silvercan and NiMH. 

And yes, you could fit standard buggy wheels but the front would need other uprights or some spacers, and you would lose ground clearance and probably stability too. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

kyosho mad van

ooh, good shout!

12 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

has anyone taken a Blitzer, stuck yellow buggy wheels and some kind of repro Falcon shell on it? Does that make a Falcon with wishbone rear suspension and a front end that stays fixed to the tub? 

No, but it does make a Bear Hawk with the wrong colour wheels and the wrong body, which is better ;) 

36 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

Trail truck is a better description. I’ve only ever run a silvercan or 55t  motor. Not as quick as a standard Konghead or Big Yellow. A hot motor might pep it up a bit

You have a G6-01TR? Indeed I am interested in a fast trail truck.

This is the video I saw of the GF-01TR and it is not slow at all which is why I wonder if the G6-01TR will be similar.