mtbkym01

RC Boats - Let’s all get wet

Not sure how much interest this one will generate, but I’ve been considering a boat for a while now, noting some of the more recent releases from Proboat in particular even have self righting abilities now.

All boats welcome here, power boats, sailing boats, catamarans……

So, show us what you’ve got, video content, whatever that will convince me to have a crack on the water

• Like 3

I still haven't started my first boat build, one of these days though, it's in the box waiting for me.

DUM1233_A0_2OOPA3OC.jpg

• Like 4

Great topic, I love RC yachts and have a couple.

Racing Sparrow - scratch built yacht which was loads of fun to make and took almost 2 years.  I've made it look like my favourite America's Cup yacht, NZL20, even though it didn't win.  I've also got a second one about half done which I need to get around to finishing one day.  There is a build thread on here if anyone is interested.

Volantex Compass - this is a 65cm class yacht which I bought along with a friend.  They both had issues which are a combination of using them in salt water but also being very cheap.  I've given him my one hoping he can make his one go, because...

Dragonforce DF65 v6 - apparently these set the standard for the 65cm class.  I have one of these which just needs assembling.  It came with everything except radio gear (which funnily enough I have already).  Its in the queue and should get done soon, as its assembling rather than building.  I'm not looking forward to tying the tiny little knots though

• Like 3

15 hours ago, mtbkym01 said:

Not sure how much interest this one will generate

I keep my eye out for anything that would be a completely new build experience and I love the idea of a boat/ship. No idea where to start but I like the idea of something WW2'ish.

13 hours ago, David B said:

it's in the box waiting for me

Ooh, that looks cool. Some sort of WW2 Patrol/torpedo boat?

6 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

scratch built yacht which was loads of fun to make and took almost 2 years

Wow, that sounds like a serious commitment. Making something scratch built that is water tight sounds really daunting. Any photos?

I think a boat/ship is down the list of things to do quite a ways behind a tank which also looked like a completely different challenge. Even fuuurther down my list of projects to do one day would be figuring out how I would go about doing an RC submarine.

I'm looking forward to this thread being some good inspiration. :)

9 minutes ago, Gebbly said:

I keep my eye out for anything that would be a completely new build experience and I love the idea of a boat/ship. No idea where to start but I like the idea of something WW2'ish.

Ooh, that looks cool. Some sort of WW2 Patrol/torpedo boat?

Wow, that sounds like a serious commitment. Making something scratch built that is water tight sounds really daunting. Any photos?

I think a boat/ship is down the list of things to do quite a ways behind a tank which also looked like a completely different challenge. Even fuuurther down my list of projects to do one day would be figuring out how I would go about doing an RC submarine.

I'm looking forward to this thread being some good inspiration. :)

Yup, PT 109, all the framing is precut, I watched some videos on others assembling it, doesn't look like it would be out of the average modellers abilities, it's just a box full of wood at the moment so no pics.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, David B said:

just a box full of wood at the moment

Oh like the old balsa wood planes I built when I was a kid. Is it pre cut like a static model kit or do you need to cut and shape everything yourself?

• Like 1

Just now, Gebbly said:

Oh like the old balsa wood planes I built when I was a kid. Is it pre cut like a static model kit or do you need to cut and shape everything yourself?

mostly precut, you just follow plan measurements to assemble the frame on a 3 foot long wood base and glue everything together, then build and finish the exterior.

https://www.dumasproducts.com/?product=pt-109-kit-1233

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gebbly said:

How about a build thread?

But you can just buy something ready to sail if sitting by a lake on a sunny afternoon is more your thing

• Like 1

I've got a few boats, mainly hydro's.

20230424-032802.jpg

I am doing a rebuild on this, so if anyone is interested I can document it in the Builds section.

20230424-033032.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, M 800STD said:

20230424-032802.jpg

I am doing a rebuild on this, so if anyone is interested I can document it in the Builds section.

20230424-033032.jpg

I'm keen to see a build thread...

• Like 2

18 hours ago, M 800STD said:

20230424-032802.jpg

20230424-033032.jpg

Keen as well

• Like 2

If the moderators approve, I will start one in the build section.

In the meantime, here are a couple of vids of Victory 44 sister in action.  233cm hull length, 30kg, 60cc and 16hp.

And some big cat racing...

• Like 3

9 hours ago, M 800STD said:

Victory 44 sister in action.  233cm hull length, 30kg, 60cc and 16hp

Good lord! When I saw the photos I assumed it was the same size as a Tamiya RC car. When I saw the video with the 2 people standing next to it its HUGE! Really shifts in the water too.

I concur with the others, a build thread would be really interesting. The mechanics must be somewhat different and making everything water-proof must add problems to the build?

Large scale Yamato is really cool

Oh nice. Occasionally I play a computer game called World Of Warships so I am aware of the giant Yamato battleship. That would be a cool build.

Engel do a Typhoon class

That sounds familiar. Is that a Royal Navy class of ship? I'll have to look it up.

[Edit]

Oh the Typhoon class is a submarine. It looks fascinating with loads of new tech and terms to learn. Guess I better start saving the pennies as it isnt cheap.

@Gebbly  They are good for about 70mph. IC.  Large does not equate to fast, just looks good out on the water.

Build process is fairly straight forwards, although some builders like to complicate things.  But this is also what I like about boats, essentially you have a blank canvas to make it your own.

The Engel stuff is expensive, but are a quality manufacturer.  Looks like they don't do the Typhoon kit anymore, which is a shame.

Typhoon class is Russian.

• Like 1

@mtbkym01  Not wanting to hijack your thread but would it be ok just to post the build here?  It will be slow as it's summer, nearly, here in the UK and I've got other demanding hobbies.

So what about you, have you decided in what direction you want to go in?  Electric, nitro, petrol, small, medium, large, scale, non-scale, hydro's, v-hull/mono, submerged props, surface piercing, jet?

If you are looking for a quality hull on your side of the world, look for sonic racing.  He use to have a web site, you'll probably find him on FB.  IIRC his name is Danny.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, M 800STD said:

@mtbkym01  Not wanting to hijack your thread but would it be ok just to post the build here?  It will be slow as it's summer, nearly, here in the UK and I've got other demanding hobbies.

So what about you, have you decided in what direction you want to go in?  Electric, nitro, petrol, small, medium, large, scale, non-scale, hydro's, v-hull/mono, submerged props, surface piercing, jet?

If you are looking for a quality hull on your side of the world, look for sonic racing.  He use to have a web site, you'll probably find him on FB.  IIRC his name is Danny.

Yep absolutely happy with that, its what this thread is for, pretty much a one stop shop for any boating discussion and activity, nothing can “hijack” this thread.

I’d like to go brushless i think, without spending a fortune, this one from Pro Boat has caught my eye, a monohull with self righting ability

https://www.modelflight.com.au/proboat-shreddy-recoil-2-26inch-self-righting-brushless-boat-rtr.html

Its not a big boat at only 26inches, but seems to go well and appears very stable.

Then i really like how this Catamaran sits in the water

https://www.modelflight.com.au/pro-boat-veles-29inch-brushless-catamaran-rc-boat-rtr-v2.html

Plenty of time for me to decide as its coming into winter here, which means not great boating weather

• Like 1

I would recommend looking at what is available at https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/  he seems to know what he is doing.  i buy most of my "Fast Electric" stuff from him.  granted, i don't buy stock rtr boats, but that site also has a forum where all kinds of info can be gleened.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@tim.senecal  Yep, there is some good info there and some good products.

@mtbkym01  My only comments would be, buy a kevlar reinforced hull and if you go the cat route, buy a twin motor hull with batteries mounted in hulls and not mounted on the tunnel.

Have a look at these links for inspiration...

https://www.mhz-powerboats.com/shop/en/

https://www.hydromarine.de/index.php?language=en

• Thanks 1

IMG_0045.jpg
IMG_0062.jpg
IMG_0063.jpg
IMG_0064.jpg
IMG_0065.jpg
IMG_0068.jpg
IMG_0069.jpg
IMG_0070.jpg
This is a £40 Tear into jet boat that I am going to convert from a toy grade to hobby grade. The propulsion unit is ok bu the motor and electrics are pants. You have to cut open the hill to get the old bits out. The glue they use is terrifying!!! It’s everywhere, but eventually I got it all out. This is the brushless system I’m putting back in. Might be a bit high KV but it’s what I’ve got!!!

• Like 1

resurrecting this thread because i have a couple more youtube videos to add from this summer's regatta: 

• Like 1

On 4/18/2023 at 11:42 PM, David B said:

I still haven't started my first boat build, one of these days though, it's in the box waiting for me.

DUM1233_A0_2OOPA3OC.jpg

Wow, that looks like the kit my Dad was building before I was born in the 60's
Unfortunately never finished it before he departed, but I do have a NIB never run motor for it