Kpowell911

My TT-02 Content thread

So decided to see how fast the TT02R was. 

Set up is a 1060 ESC, Superstock RZ motor (23t) and a 2S Lipo. Im running a 22t Pinion.  Im also on Rally Blocks which arent ideal. Because Lancia Delta

w5Aj2aF.jpeg

Obviously I done the speed run on a smooth car park, not the above gravel......

I also removed the wing because it broke after one roll over. 

lcnxKgm.jpeg

End result was 25mph

GzAM1fL.png

I then spent the next 25 mins hooning about in the gravel and even getting some air time. Motor wasnt too hot after this so Im going to gear up quite a lot (27t) and go again. Then it may be brushless time 🙂

Really enjoyed that peaceful little hoon. Even if I forgot it was half term and the kids were off.....

• Like 2

So rather than steal parts of my SRX I decided to leave as is and order new parts. I ordered an RW 27t Pinion, in hindsight I should have got a 26 or 28 in order to have some options as the SRX has a 27 but hey. 

Also, the steering is horrific. Everyone says this about TT's but it shows how little Ive used them as this is maybe my 10th TT-01/02 and Ive never know this to be an issue. Its sloppy and doesnt return to centre. I have the "upgraded" servo saver on my SRX but wanted to leave that there. I see people glue the stock servo saver (so you dont have one) so thought Ill just try a metal servo horn. Amazon got me 5 for around 5 quid delivered within 24 hours. Not condoning this, as you obviously risk breaking a servo (hence the word Saver) however it is what it is. The angles not great but it appears to work ok so itll do for now. 

ZJBrVCF.jpeg

ezVjpdM.jpeg

vP6BUqh.jpeg

When the pinion arrives Ill give it another run

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kpowell911 said:

Also, the steering is horrific. Everyone says this about TT's but it shows how little Ive used them as this is maybe my 10th TT-01/02 and Ive never know this to be an issue. Its sloppy and doesnt return to centre. 

vP6BUqh.jpeg

Try loosening up your screws, the stock bellcrank/step screws have too much friction, but if any of the screws are too tight it'll only be worse.

I was able to get somewhat "acceptable" steering with the plastic bellcranks by replacing the steering step screws with machine screws/nuts on the bottom and 3mm brass tubes. 

• Like 1

Be careful with that aluminum horn. Just the other day a guy at the track broke one of the bell crank step screws on his TT-02. The impact wasn’t even hard , just a small tap on the barrier. Snapped the step screw right off, now he has to replace the lower deck unless he can extract the broken screw without damaging the hole. Upon closer examination it turns out he was running an aluminum horn and no servo-saver. Just get the YR steering set or the Chinese clones of it, and a high torque servo saver and it will track straight and return to center each time. 

On 6/7/2023 at 7:55 PM, one_hit said:

Be careful with that aluminum horn. Just the other day a guy at the track broke one of the bell crank step screws on his TT-02. The impact wasn’t even hard , just a small tap on the barrier. Snapped the step screw right off, now he has to replace the lower deck unless he can extract the broken screw without damaging the hole. Upon closer examination it turns out he was running an aluminum horn and no servo-saver. Just get the YR steering set or the Chinese clones of it, and a high torque servo saver and it will track straight and return to center each time. 

My SRX has all that and its still not great 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

My SRX has all that and its still not great 🤷🏻‍♂️

Your SRX with the aluminum steering set, steering bridge and high torque servo saver should have similar steering and tracking as any other Tamiya with ball raced steering. I know this because I have four TT-02’s (all with upgraded steering) and they all track straight just like my TRF and other higher tier Tamiya touring cars. 

But then again, you did build your SRX wrong with the C hubs flipped, therefore having negative caster which directly influences high speed stability in a huge, negative way. Have you tried driving it with the C hubs in the correct position?