Sign in to follow this  
davidwj95

Thinking about getting a cougar classic

I'm looking to buy my next rc and fancy something from another manufacturer. I've been looking at the cougar and procat from schumacher and the optima and dirt master from kyosho so far but mainly attracted to the cougar due to cost and nostalgia.

I already have a tamiya dt02 which is one of my favourite runners but I don't want to end up with another 2wd buggy that is too similar to drive. Will the cougar be noticeably different? I don't race, most of my driving will be in the garden or non competitively on a track.

I have seen that they can be difficult to build but I'm OK with this and up for a challenge. 

Also, can the re re cougar still accept stick pack batteries? The spec says shorty lipos.

The Cougar can indeed accept stick packs. The Pro Cat cannot, something to bear in mind and it's why I haven't bought one but have picked up a Cougar Classic which is in my build queue.

The Dirt Master seems to have its fans, but I don't personally see the attraction. If you have the money, something from the Legendary series is a higher quality option and for similar money you can pick up an Astute TD2 if you want "different"!

When it comes to driving, I'm expecting the Cougar to be more precise and accurate than a Tamiya DT‐02/3.

• Like 1

I really like the Cougar Classic. It's a cool buggy and it was a fantastic racer back in the day. Assembly is pretty straightforward aside from these two items: The servo saver and wing mounts. Absolute absurdity. I quick hack would be to toss the servo saver and use a different item such as Tamiya's high torque servo saver. As for the wing mounts, I just wound up trimming some plastic.

• Like 1