markbt73

RCAS (RC Acquisition Syndrome)

I want to buy a new RC kit. That's not unusual; like all of us, I imagine, I have a running list of stuff I'd like to own someday, although now I'm down to the expensive stuff mostly. I have some money I could spend in savings. Maybe I shouldn't, but I could.

I mean, I still want an Optima Mid, and that black Avante deal is mighty tempting too. Either one would scratch the itch well. But then again, so would a Grasshopper 2, which I also have a hankering for, and is 1/4 the price. Way easier to explain when the statement comes in.

But why do I want something new at all? That's the part I'm struggling with. With half a dozen unfinished projects lying around, and enough parts to start a few other ideas I've had, why am I thinking of adding to my already serious space problem by getting a new kit?

Does anybody else run into this problem? Want thing, can afford thing, but can't justify thing?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, markbt73 said:

Want thing, can afford thing, but can't justify thing?

All this time. I got 2WD & 4WD buggies, FWD, RWD & 4WD MTCs, various TCs, F1s, monster truck and a crawler. I am pretty much covered for any driving situations and since I don't race, so no real need to go for the more expensive ranges. However I still want more. Justify? Nope, no real justification except price; I will watch prices carefully and when there is a significant price drop, I may hit buy. So when my wife ask me why I buy it, my justification is it is £X/% cheaper than anywhere else.

• Like 3

Same boat. I'd love an Avante ReRe for example (and they are cheap at the moment) - but it would just be a shelfer as I have better cars for vintage racing. So I can't justify it, it would feel wasteful. Would love to build one though - it's right up my street with all the over engineering!

The only cars I'm happy to have as shelf queen's are cars that have had a racing life and they can no longer be run due to parts support - so they get one last good rebuild and clean, and then they get to retire in piece.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, markbt73 said:

But why do I want something new at all? That's the part I'm struggling with. With half a dozen unfinished projects lying around, and enough parts to start a few other ideas I've had, why am I thinking of adding to my already serious space problem by getting a new kit?

Does anybody else run into this problem? Want thing, can afford thing, but can't justify thing?

Yep, I can really relate to the above. I use to find myself buying a kit, ordering some hop ups and by the time it all arrived I was already onto the next. Now, I only buy something if I'm actually going to use it. I find it hard, because I do enjoy the chase of sourcing parts etc... But, I'm really trying not to buy and kits that won't get used. 

I sold off all my unfinished projects, and several cars that I never used, and now I'm down to about 4 runners with a few new kits in the queue to build.

These are: TD4, BH Hotshot 2 & a Dirt Master. And on pre-order I have a BBX, and a Boomerang which is going to be treated to a Factory Works GRP chassis.

However, I'm really tempted by the Black Avante at Tamico, but I wouldn't like running it with such poor spares back up.

• Like 3

Same for me.

What i learned is that i often gets satisfied with trying something new (from build process to running) and if that does not spark joy, put it up for sale. (I value experience from the process more than just owning stuff )

I kind of went nuts and bought about 14 cars for last 6months. Sold 12 of them and 2 are coming. 

Each one of us have different ways of buying selling stuff, so whatever sparks joy :)

• Like 5

My name is Snappy1 , and I have a problem. ……

I find that if there is something I really want, and I cheap out, buy something else, then the expensive one always seems to get bought down the track and these days at a far more expensive price than when I first wanted it, go with your heart buy what you really want or you’ll be like Mick Jagger he can’t get no satisfaction……..

• Like 4

Not me.. want something, buy the thing, justify later.. :ph34r:

However I can do a full stop at any time..  my wallet just goes extremely religious (buddhist).. empty inside.  :wacko:

Then go do my money making gig to replenish since it's not like my pretend RC shop has any revenue.. :blink: 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Snappy1 said:

I find that if there is something I really want, and I cheap out, buy something else, then the expensive one always seems to get bought down the track

This happens constantly with me. I was in the market for a CR01 but stymied by the high prices. My solution was to convert my SMT10 into a trail truck with similar dimensions, which I did, but couldn't get the CR01 out of my head. Eventually one came up for the right price and I'm rebuilding it currently which is just as well as I need/want the SMT10 to be a monster truck again.

First off, I don't need anything but I'll get some burning desire for something and come up with a thousand ways to justify buying it. Its torture, but I'll hold off for about a week. If the desire fades, I'll pass. If its stronger than ever, I'll buy. 

Wanting something new isn't strange or bad as long as you relish it when it comes. Its getting addicted to just buying, just that little dopamine rush, that becomes a problem. Sometimes, that how you can end up with a pile of unbuilt kits and still be on the look out for buying even more. Life short and often stressful. A little retail therapy isn't terrible but if someone has real problems, material goods ain't gonna fill that hole. Just my 2 cents and not directed at anyone in particular. Its just discoveries I've made on my personal journey on this little blue marble. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, markbt73 said:

I think it would be substantially harder to find someone here that does NOT have that problem.....  :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

I feel personally attacked. I can quit any time I like!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

@markbt73....don't fight it...it's fruitless....oops how did that photo get in here.....:ph34r:

I bought one and am very happy :D...blame it on me...

20230422_135336.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

For my Kindle for every new book I buy I re-read an old book, just so I'm getting value of what I've got.

How about finish off a project first, then get something new?

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Nikko85 said:

That would drag on for a very long time 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nikko85 said:

For my Kindle for every new book I buy I re-read an old book, just so I'm getting value of what I've got.

I tell myself that all the time......I never listen though.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Nikko85 said:

Somehow I keep thinking we would all feel more fulfilled by the hobby that way.

I think the acquisition syndrome or new RC idea syndrome or new project syndrome affects almost all of us. The brain strives on looking forward to something new but almost as soon as the project gets started we subconsciously start to see the mountain of work ahead and the brain starts churning on the next project... And the cycle repeats itself! Perhaps the guys who totally admit to functioning this way and who are not fooling themselves about it are right? Or are we all wrong? 😐

I really think that the marketing strategy of RC companies doesn't help and hanging out on discussion forums doesn't either. But then this is where inspiration comes from.

Talking about inspiration. Back in the 90's all we had were magazines and other RC club members (a very limited circle in a small town). Well, still people were having enough inspiration and their share of unfinished projects. Today with the ability to visualize what thousands of RC enthusiasts are doing around the world makes the brain buzz with cool ideas. Perhaps these ideas are healthy and just part of the hobby!

Over the last year I have reduced my fleet to a hard limit of 5 vehicles that are all supposed to be running (I emphasize the word "supposed" 🤣) and most importantly a fixed monthly budget. I also picked up were I left on the very first car I started "my return to RC" with, aiming to finish it first then move on. The progress, although very slow feels awesome.

I think this subject has been discussed before and people who write much better than I can have provided very interesting insights. In particular I think I recall a very interesting post from our very own @Mad Ax, sorry for dragging you into this mate 😜

• Like 2

What's funny is, when I'm actually in my workshop, I don't want anything new. It's only when I'm sitting here at work daydreaming about stuff that my mind gets all material and consumer-y and wants to buy more. All I really want more of is time, and that's the one thing you can't buy. Maybe that's their plan (whoever they" are) - keep us so busy that we don't have time to actually do the things we like to do, but instead buy more stuff to do "when we have time."

So I"ve decided to hold off on the Mid for now, and skip the Avante (which would have been nothing but a shelf queen anyway), and instead scratch the consumer itch by buying a few odds and ends for existing projects. But I'm going to shuffle things around, move some front- burner projects to the back-burner and vice versa, to try to get excited about them again.

• Like 5

I have a hard time sneaking new boxes past the Mrs. To that end, I tend to do a lot of "Bitsa" builds because I can sneak past lots of little packages then suddenly 'ta-da' a whole new car appears out of nowhere. How did this happen? Again? :lol:

I started a spreadsheet of my RCs so I can keep count of what I have. I have 38 vehicles in total, of which 16 started life as "Kit" form. All the others were built up from spares. That's a pretty scary ratio.

I currently have the following "Bitsa" models in the making:
TA03F FRP double-deck jobby (basically "Pro" spec)
DT02 in "MS" Spec
M-05 Ver. II - can't decide whether to go RA spec or regular (I even have the splash guards)
TT02 - Going Rally spec, waiting on some final bits to have a complete chassis

I can't Justify any of it. But here we are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisRx718 said:

M-05 Ver. II - can't decide whether to go RA spec or regular (I even have the splash guards)

I would definitely keep the M05 for pavement. The TT-02 however is ridiculously fun off-road, with proper suspension setup.

• Like 1

Yeah, I must have the same syndrome as well.  Much worse than the OP apparently as I already purchased the Turbo Optima Mid and Avante Black Special within the past year.  I have enjoyed every part of the build process, and running both of these cars.  Next up is a BBX on pre-order.  No shame in my game either, I buy what I like and enjoy my fleet.

• Like 2

I am pretty decent at using up my spares these days, and I am currently 0 projects - however I do have a couple of Toy Grades winging their way to me.

However as you say, the lure of a new project is really tempting. As an example: I have an MF01x that's for sale, as I don't need a second trail truck. Now selling this would be sensible.

However there are a couple of ideas in my head I can't shift - one is a Midnight Pumpkin with a slash mini body to make a modern monster truck - and the second is a Pumpkin body on an MF01x with wide arms to make a vintage looking stadium/trophy truck, I was going to do it last year and something got in the way.

I need neither of these (as I've got enough trucks) but instead of selling the MF01x I'm seriously considering buying another Pumpkin and another Slash Mini Body (around £170 all in plus  a new set of electronics) to end up with two more trucks. I've gone from "making" £100 or so to spending even more, but I know the second I made them I'd have even more of a space issue.

A part of me does feel like I'd be happier with fewer cars - but I also like all the ones I've made and wouldn't know which ones to shift and because they are all custom made to some degree with a lot of time invested - which is probably a good sign that I don't need any more. 

My current collection runs at 8 cars in the 1/12 scale, 2 in the 1/25 so perhaps I'll stop at 10. I know some people have collections in the 20 or 30+ so 10 might feel quite small. 

• Like 1

RCAS is real!  Ha ha ha!

The place where I find myself bad sometimes, is when I stumble across a good deal on something that I really have no interest in whatsoever. 

As an example...  It is no secret that I really don't like the ORV chassis vehicles (ironically, with the exception of the Monster Beetle).  The Frog is terrible, and the Blackfoot is the worst attempt at a truck since the SRB F-150 (which I also bought at one point...).  And yet, I have almost bought a Blackfoot no less than 3 times in the past year, just because of finding one at a good price.  Why?  Why would I waste good money on something I don't want? 

Yesterday I stumbled across a crazy good deal on a never run, box art, King Blackfoot.  A truck I have NEVER had any interest in owning, no love for, and no real place for in my collection.  But 1/2 dozen messages later, I had the guy down to $140cad and was setting up a pick up time later this week.  Late last night I was tinkering with another RC project, and started thinking more about this, and I ultimately ended up sending the guy a could of apologetic messages that I was backing out of the deal.  But why did I even engage in the first place?

It's funny how our minds work sometimes... I have a running list of items I "need" to finish projects, complete collections, etc... and MANY of these I haven't picked up since I can't justify the cash right now.  But then BOOM! Something comes along that I have no use for and I'm reaching for my wallet so fast I feel like I'm drawing in an old western gun fight.

Strange things our minds and our quirks...