I've got a couple of cars in need of servos. I'm never sure what to get. Is there a forum recommended servo for general RC car use?

One recommended to me was the SPT4412, for a low cost (£48 for 4 on aliexpress) fastish low profile servo. Been good (except I did have one with limited throw in one direction, but it's one of many and I'm a sample size of one). However I also have a hankering for another Etronix ET2060 which is super fast on my DT-03 and still not crazy money (£35).

• Like 1

For a long time, my go-to servos have been Alturn.  I've only ever had one bad one, which was very slow - the rest have been good.  I have broken some in Clods, but the Amazon 25Kg servos are usually better where something really tough is required.

I use the AAS-752MG where I want speed (buggies, tourers, etc) and the AAS-750MG where I want torque (crawlers, smaller monster trucks).  These used to be fairly ubiquitous but right now I can't see that many around, and I haven't bought any in a while - perhaps they have disappeared.  More recently I have tried some of the Etronix range and can't really complain about them, if I have a complaint it's that the range seems to be so big and with so much overlap that I can't quite work out the difference between one model and the next.

That said, for just a little bit extra, you can get a Savox 0254MG, which is the budget entry into the Savox range, but still a very good servo.  While it's quoted speed and torque is less than the cheaper Alturn equivalent, in the real world they are just as fast and I can't complain about the torque.  If I'm building a car for vintage or casual racing, I'll generally fit one of these for added piece of mind over the Alturn or other budget brands.  For serious racing, the SC-1251MG / SC-1252MG are my go-tos, but I don't do much serious racing these days, I've only got a couple of these.

Big-wheel monsters use the DS-3218 Pro from Amazon or Ebay, make sure to get the Pro model as the non-pro has brass gears, I've broken some of these but never broken a Pro.  If I did, a new servo isn't exactly a bank breaker.

On cars I like I usually get the 1251MG (off-road) or 1252MG (onroad).. but the cheepo JX servos @OoALEJOoO recommended is actually quite good.  I run it in a few of my vintage rere's and considering servo's weren't so fast back in the 80's, they work fine.   They're about 0.11 sec @6V.  

They were $15 on Amazon.

PDI5508MG (standard profile)

PDI4409MG (low profile)

My budget servo is the Futaba S3004, it's nothing special but fine enough for on-road bashers and vintage/re-re buggies.

For cars where handling is important to me, I go with either metal geared Hitec or Savox servos.

I've had poor luck with those unlabeled "25kg" servos. None of them ever broke on me, they just have poor centering.

I also vouch for the SPT 4412LV. I have 6 of those and all works fine. $12 a piece.

Although if you want an ultra fast servo, I'd recommend PowerHD R12. About $50 each.