Sign in to follow this  
ploots

Re re srb parts

Hi all

I'm just wondering if re re parts fits a mk1/2 srb, mines from 1984 and I still enjoy using it but one of my alloy front arms broke probably through brittleness around the fixing, luckily I have some spares but I might need some more as another is beginning to crack, so would re re front arms fit mine

Thanks for any info

They fit but you need to change as a set , the angle is slightly different and by changing just one you'd end up with either massive positive or negative camber , also the white ball sockets are different and the ball studs for the steering knuckle are bigger , so in short it's 4 arms , new set of white plastic ball sockets and 4 new ball studs to convert the original to re re , worse than that the modern arms are far more chunky and not so nice looking however you would be future proofing the car so ...... Yes you can but it's more than you might want to change and it ends up uglier .  

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply I thought it wouldn't be as simple as changing 1 arm I might look for some originals before I go down the re re route 

The parts are all readily available on eBay, there are a number of Tamiya breakers. 

Well worth posting a wanted add on TC as well - with a picture of the part you need. 

There were 3 subtle differences in early / mid / late vintage SRB front arms from memory 

The re re equivalent can therefore be fettled to fit as @Dadio suggests but the materials, geometry and stress points are different 

So you’ll eventually end up transferring load to other parts of the vintage chassis - like the shock towers or hubs - that it was never meant to bear and which are even harder to find / replace 

The honest truth is Tamiya deliberately engineered things to break back then 

Not to sell hop ups - they were pretty much an afterthought until the early 80s - but simply to protect more expensive / harder to replace things from breaking and interrupting run time 

Example - wrapping cable ties around similar front arms was recommended in SuperChamp 

Result - hardly any slop and much better front end grip 

Outcome - the arms either snapped every other race or the ball sockets popped out every hard corner 🙄

My recommendation is you keep everything stock - buying vintage bits from eBay as @Grumpy pants suggests 👍

• Like 2