Sign in to follow this  
Rinskie

How do you know when to sell a project?

5 hours ago, Rinskie said:

Insightful thoughts all, thanks for the great conversation. I think my biggest issue is finding the motivation to put a body on it. I originally has an Alpine shell for it but I really jacked up cutting it out and drilling the body post. It's a write off, seriously it's that bad. So naturally I am a little sketched out at the possibility of that repeating. Then I decided to order a MX5 for it because hey why not, also gives me the opportunity to try the mid length wheel base. The issue with the new shell is that I accidentally ordered the lightweight version. I know once I get it painted and run it in anger, the poor thing won't be around for long. Now I am starting to shine up to the idea of grabbing a Karman with some chrome wheels and aim for the car show look. So all that is to say, I'll wind up getting a new shell and wheels and probably a WR02 to wash it down with. I crack myself up but at least I enjoy the journey. 

I think on shells you kind of have to go through a few mistakes. Mine are riddled with them, and it's usually simply through not taking my time enough with it, but now I can't even remember what half the mistakes were. It adds up cost wise of course but I put it down to learning and buy repro ones. I start off intending perfection, but also intending to run it, which is an oxymoron from the off, then I don't get it quite right, get disappointed, run it, forget the disappointment, run it some more. End of the day, I still get full use out of the shell so value is OK. 

Also, if you buy a used one you might realise that others don't do them to as high a standard as you might think from photos you see on here! Is yours really a write off even as a scruffy runner with a bit of patching up? I've got one that the front was hanging off, and with some plasterboard tape and shoe goo it's back to being a pretty tough runner. 

• Like 3

As you have the MX-5 shell, why not paint it up and run it? Get some drywall tape / shoo goo to reinforce it once it splits and run it for as long as you can. It might last longer than you think and give you a chance to 'bond' with your M08.

Oh, and buy the WR02 to scratch that wheelie itch! Or get a GF-01 for some 4WD fun.

I find it much easier to run a car with a scruffy shell. Most of my cars have two shells - one for the shelf which is done to the best of my ability, and a runner shell where I may have made a mistake or six. If a runner shell starts off bad, it hurts a lot less if it gets scuffed while running. 

• Like 1

I bite the bullet and mounted the MX5 tonight. I cut it out a couple weeks ago with the score and snap method which worked out better than anticipated. I was super careful to measure and mark the the body. Check, double, triple and checked some more. All seemed good to go. Used a 1/16 drill bit to make a pilot then drilled it out with a 6mm. And whettayaknow? One of the holes was a little off making the body post lean a bit. So weird, but at least it's mounted and more or less looks like it belongs there. I will mask it off then decide what to do for paint. I am capable of airbrushing halfway passable but I am halfway tempted to single color blast it then do the matte black roof part. I originally planned on a multi color fade wham bam type thing but I am nearing the end of my patience. 

• Like 1

Your best friend for drilling holes in a shell is a body reamer. It's a cone-shaped tool that is inexpensive and allows you to gradually increase the hole diameter from the pilot hole to the final post diameter. I draw a "cross hair" at the intended location then as I ream I continuously check that the hole remains centered.

I would avoid spraying lexan above 30degC. Not impossible but you just have to be even more careful. Also you mentioned using an airbrush so as you probably know you will need self-etching paint (that is called anything but that) which is specifically made for lexan/polycarbonate bodies. Most people here use PS rattle cans but some use airbrush (not me).

Good luck and my apologies if I'm explain things you already know!

I drive all the cars I build, but don't go all out crazy.  My outdoor Scorpion and Beetle have no body damage either, I think the trick is to know where you are driving first by taking a few slow laps, then increase speed, but drive the car sensibly like you drive your 1:1 car and not like a toy.  If you want to practice jumps and stuff for competiton driving, I would  run another body like @TurnipJF or another car dedicated just for that purpose.  And practice driving.. if you're constantly hitting something slow down and practice.  It will make the drive so much more enjoyable once you learn how to actually drive these cars.  Anyway just something to think about if anyone wants to.  

• Like 2

After much deliberation I decided to move on from the M08. It's fine kit and fun to build but it's not really want I initially wanted when I decided to relive my youth. What started me on this path was the upcoming Boomerang re-re. I was but a middle school kid when it came about and I would take the Tamiya catalogue to school and read it during class when I was supposed to be doing other things. The M08 just doesn't have the same emotional connection as the Grasshopper, Hotshot and Boomerang amongst others. 

That is one side of it, the other side is I tend to complicate things by nature. I decide on something then start to overthink it, "if I add another $50 to it I can step up to the next level" and so on and so on until I have almost convinced myself I need a Sanwa M17 to run a Grasshopper. You know, just in case I decide to start racing. Hate this about myself. So as a cathartic exercise, the M08 is on the chopping block and possible the excellent Sanwa MT-R as the much cheaper MX-6 would have served better. The M08 and a few goodies are in the sale section waiting on someone to love it. 

26 minutes ago, Rinskie said:

After much deliberation I decided to move on from the M08. It's fine kit and fun to build but it's not really want I initially wanted when I decided to relive my youth. What started me on this path was the upcoming Boomerang re-re. I was but a middle school kid when it came about and I would take the Tamiya catalogue to school and read it during class when I was supposed to be doing other things. The M08 just doesn't have the same emotional connection as the Grasshopper, Hotshot and Boomerang amongst others. 

That is one side of it, the other side is I tend to complicate things by nature. I decide on something then start to overthink it, "if I add another $50 to it I can step up to the next level" and so on and so on until I have almost convinced myself I need a Sanwa M17 to run a Grasshopper. You know, just in case I decide to start racing. Hate this about myself. So as a cathartic exercise, the M08 is on the chopping block and possible the excellent Sanwa MT-R as the much cheaper MX-6 would have served better. The M08 and a few goodies are in the sale section waiting on someone to love it. 

Agreed! I was buying stuff in case i wanna race, but what i realized is that i just want fun with old school rcs not worrying about expensive parts breaking.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Rinskie said:

Sorry to hear that the M08 didn't work out. I've had this problem myself, I picked up an SCT last year thinking that I'd race it in a spec class, only to learn that you need an expensive "box that goes beep" and tire sauce among other things...said "cheap" class isn't all that cheap.

Hope the Boomerang works out if that's what you go with next.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

Sorry to hear that the M08 didn't work out. I've had this problem myself, I picked up an SCT last year thinking that I'd race it in a spec class, only to learn that you need an expensive "box that goes beep" and tire sauce among other things...said "cheap" class isn't all that cheap.

Hope the Boomerang works out if that's what you go with next.

Same reason for me..

+ roar approved lipo ($60+), specific tires, roar legal 17t brushless motor (except novice tt class) etc etc.

Those factors made me think that I am not as interested in races than i anticipated.

I am willing to splurge on lap timer thingy if they have vintage tamiya race though! (Which i doubt will happen locally)

• Like 1