Sign in to follow this  
RC-boysenberry

New motor for the Rock Socker

I have just killed my sock motor in my Rock Socker. Has anybody got a good recommendation for a motor ( not too expensive) which works with a Hobbywing 1080 speed controller as a replacement.

I have attached a photo of the dead motor.

20230525_192032.jpg

How did the original one die? Does anything need to be done to the car to ensure that its successor does not meet the same fate?

• Like 1

Depends what you are doing. Any 540 around 27t would be a direct replacement, and no problem at all for the ESC. Good opportunity to upgrade a bit.  Going with a 5 slot motor gives you much smoother throttle control as the expense of some RPM and torque.  

If you are crawling, a Holmes Crawlmaster sport in 16t flavor (5 slots generally have lower turns than 3 slot motors due to their design)  is a fantastic motor for $20 - 5 slot so it starts up super smooth. My go to motor for almost all my builds now. 

For trail running a Trailmaster sport 27t might be your better bet. Closer to the stock 540 you were running previously with a bit more power overall.  

There's all kinds of motors out there that will fit the bill. 

• Like 1

The some of the screws in the planetary gearbox started to come out, which caused them to rub on the inside of the gearbox. I believe this caused the motor to die and have used locktight to ensure they don't come out again. The gearbox had also jammed up previously which could have damaged the motor prior to it dieing. 

I use a Super Stock TZ in mine.

It's less of a crawler with that motor though and more of a monster truck speed wise.

1 hour ago, BuggyGuy said:

I use a Super Stock TZ in mine.

It's less of a crawler with that motor though and more of a monster truck speed wise.

I do wonder if I put a faster motor in my crawler, will I destroy its gearbox or not. I use a 550 27T which is already too fast for scale crawling.

The 33t TR-Tuned is a really nice motor and not terribly expensive. Seems to last forever.

The Traxxas 21t Titan 550 is really good for the money, too.

Edit: TR, not CR

Edited by Big Jon
  • Like 1

The CR-01 has very short FDR, from 50.63 (16T pinion) to 32.40 (25T pinion). I wouldn't recommend anything slower than a 35T motors as it would indeed run at crawling speed!

The sweet spot is probably anything in between 27T (stock silvercan) to 35T (Tamiya's CR Tuned), both of which would run great on the 1080 ESC.

I run a 35T on mine with the tallest FDR (25T pinion) and this has plenty of torque and enough speed to spin-friction up slippery slopes.

• Like 1

Thank you everybody, I will probably go with a 35t motor, such as the CR- tuned because they sound like they have the right speed/ torque for it.