ad456

SRB crooked front help

As I wait for stuff to come in the post I was taking stock of what I need for upcoming projects. I was checking over an SRB chassis I bought some years ago for a resto-mod and when i put some wheels on realised the front right arms are all crooked. It is present without wheels but is brutally obvious with them. As there are a few different revisions on the arms I was wondering if there is anyone that can help me with what is wrong and what version of bits I have?

I have checked the rods in the front and they don't seem bent but I do have some Re-re ones to fit incase I'm wrong. There also seems to be a touch of play in the upper arm on the right but feel the issue is with the lower one. To save me from replacing all the arms with Re-re ones I thought I'd see if any experts can point out what is up with it first.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Is the top arm fully on. It looks it’s at an angle? If the upper rod isn’t bent is the hole in the arm worn? Not sure what else. Maybe if you can dismantle it it may be more obvious!!

• Thanks 1

@Busdriver, yeah the arm is fully on, its butted up without the spring and is the same position with it in place.

I've just nipped and stripped the right side off and I think it must be the arms. The two bars roll on a flat surface without wobbling, there is a little play on the end of the frame where the bars come out of but it's an expected amount, nothing crazy. The arms seem to be the same when you compare them side by side and don't LOOK damaged or bent, the only thing that stands out is there is a small amount of play in the upper arm when you push it but the play is in the wrong direction to cause that.

I think just a straight up full arm replacement is my way forward as there must be something off with either the upper or lower(or both) and i'm just not familiar enough with the SRB stuff to spot it.

Edit: If the alloy centre cross bars are worn funny internally could that cause this?

So I just replaced the pivot bars for the arms with the new re-re ones , left the springs off and it looks to me as the upper arm is too high and the lower arm is too far in to the middle. I suspect it's been dropped in storage or before i got it and I've never really paid much attention. Anyone have an ID on the arms so i don't have to replace them all?spacer.png

I’ll try and help with the arms -

MK1 are really skinny 

MK2 Are thicker than MK1’s

ReRe Have different ball joints which are not interchangeable with any MK1 or MK2 arms. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not had my head on fully with this today, been up early with the wee lad being poorly. I’ve had a good check and like @Busdriver said the arms are a bit opened up, the top one is close to cracking I think. 

I think this will likely be a Mk1, if I remember correctly it was sold as an early ranger or something. 

I’ll try find some right arms and that’ll hopefully sort it. 

• Like 1

@SuperChamp82 posted this really helpful reply on another SRB thread - you might have seen it -

There were 3 subtle differences in early / mid / late vintage SRB front arms from memory 

The re re equivalent can therefore be fettled to fit as @Dadio suggests but the materials, geometry and stress points are different 

So you’ll eventually end up transferring load to other parts of the vintage chassis - like the shock towers or hubs - that it was never meant to bear and which are even harder to find / replace 

The honest truth is Tamiya deliberately engineered things to break back then 

Not to sell hop ups - they were pretty much an afterthought until the early 80s - but simply to protect more expensive / harder to replace things from breaking and interrupting run time 

Example - wrapping cable ties around similar front arms was recommended in SuperChamp 

Result - hardly any slop and much better front end grip 

Outcome - the arms either snapped every other race or the ball sockets popped out every hard corner 🙄

My recommendation is you keep everything stock - buying vintage bits from eBay as @Grumpy pants suggests 👍

• Thanks 1

That was posted on my thread and it's all good information 

• Like 1