87lc2

Tamiya Rally Car Options

Once or twice a week my father and I grab some vintage Tamiyas and head over to the local ball field for some fun racing.  We run all sorts of stuff; Blackfoots, Monster Beetles, Lunchbox, Grasshoppers, TA02Ts, etc.  Picture is from yesterday, just had to get an image of that unusual matchup :)   Dads Hot Shot vs my M1025 Hummer, always have a blast with the old Tamiya stuff.  

Anyway, I was thinking it might be cool to get a couple matching rally cars.  Surface is about perfect for them and don't need a ton of ground clearance to run effectively.  I don't know much about modern Tamiyas, what options are out there?  Only running for fun so don't need the latest, most expensive chassis out there.  Something cheap that would work well is ideal, but would spend a bit more if there's something good in the mid-range.  Definitely don't need a serious race chassis.  I saw the Impreza TT02 Rally on Tower and its dirt cheap, anyone run those?  I have a few TT02s setup for on-road, not sure how they work off road with the rally tires?  Only thing with the TT02 is I know the chassis will fill with sand, gravel, etc (Still dumping sand out of my Hummer...) Not a huge deal, but avoiding that would be nice.  

Any opinions welcome, hopefully I can find something that will work for us.  

IMG_5532.jpg

• Like 6

The TT02 can be modded cheaply to add height and Tamiya make lexan dust covers. 

There are a couple of threads on TC and tutorials on YouTube - I would go this route 👍

• Like 3

A stock answer is to compare the XV-01 and TT-02. TT-02 is the minimum cost option but needs a bit more to run off road. The XV-01 is more money but a better driving rally chassis almost no matter what you do to the TT-02. The XV-01 also keeps debris out better and is somewhat tougher IME. 

There is quite a lot of info in various build threads and the like for TT-02 rally mods. Minimum is probably to fit the right length (55mm is good for enough ground clearance without needing too much plastic grinding off to fit) oil shocks, rally blocks, bearings etc. In your case also a dust cover. But do much more than that and you get close to XV-01 money anyway, for less car. 

Another thing to look at might be the budget rally thread for other options? My budget rally TT-02 is good fun, but it's nowhere near as good as a stock XV-01 and was only about 20% less money despite my TT-02 hop-ups being all bought very cheaply. 

• Like 4

I would go TT02 personally - Whilst the XV-01 is undoubtedly a better chassis, there are some annoyances with it and for bashing like this the TT02 will do 90% of what the XV-01 is capable of. If you just want two cars of equal performance without too much modding this is the way to go.

An XV-01 is more fiddly to build - albeit more capable, some little "Quirks" ruin it for me - the battery placement is a pain, especially once covered in dirt - it's accessed by a panel in the bottom of the car which has to be screwed in. Electronics - the distance from ESC to motor is a pain so you will need a soldering iron to extend the motor wires, then accessing the electronics for any maintenance is a pain as they are in dust-proof compartments. My ESC overheated <_<

For the sake of the low-entry cost of a TT02 and one of the part #22023 chassis covers (which includes front mud guards too) I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ChrisRx718 said:

I would go TT02 personally - Whilst the XV-01 is undoubtedly a better chassis, there are some annoyances with it and for bashing like this the TT02 will do 90% of what the XV-01 is capable of. If you just want two cars of equal performance without too much modding this is the way to go..

Interesting to see someone suggest a TT-02 over an XV-01. But if you go that route I've figured out a few cheap tricks to make the stock steering decent.

Another option is the MF01X, but having owned a few I would suggest a TT-02 over one.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

For the sake of the low-entry cost of a TT02 and one of the part #22023 chassis covers (which includes front mud guards too) I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Guessing that hinders heat pretty badly mind?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

I would go TT02 personally - Whilst the XV-01 is undoubtedly a better chassis, there are some annoyances with it and for bashing like this the TT02 will do 90% of what the XV-01 is capable of. If you just want two cars of equal performance without too much modding this is the way to go.

An XV-01 is more fiddly to build - albeit more capable, some little "Quirks" ruin it for me - the battery placement is a pain, especially once covered in dirt - it's accessed by a panel in the bottom of the car which has to be screwed in. Electronics - the distance from ESC to motor is a pain so you will need a soldering iron to extend the motor wires, then accessing the electronics for any maintenance is a pain as they are in dust-proof compartments. My ESC overheated <_<

All true although personally, because I use a little electric screwdriver anyway, and hex screws, I actually like the battery placement. 

I have yet to have a heat issue in the XV-01 but my 10BL60 and 10.5t brushless give out very little heat. 

4 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

Guessing that hinders heat pretty badly mind?

My mileage is low and I need to refine pinion choice but I overheated a torque tuned unexpectedly and I think this was a big contributing factor. 

7 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

IMG_5532.jpg

That does look perfect for rally cars 👍🏻

Something like that was the most fun I’ve had with a TT02,

5728BB81-ECB6-4B52-91DC-0E97C3DC2995.md.

It’s a bog stock TT02 chassis complete with pogo stick suspension. The only upgrade on it is ball bearings and a torque tuned motor, that’s it. The only modification I made was to trim part D15 off the edges as it gives the steering a bit more throw where the steering linkage hits it. A dust cover would be great though.

I have a TT02R as well with a different body for pavement use, so I keep basic one for guilt free off road fun.

I would like an XV01, as they do give a more real scale performance I believe from watching videos of them. But I’m not loosing sleep not having one though.

It’s all down to how much you want to spend I suppose.  The fact that there will be 2 of you racing together I dare say you are going to have a great time whatever anyway.

You say you have some TT’s already? Maybe just try one out briefly on the ball park and go from there. 

• Like 4

On TT steering, I found CVDs enabling me to file back the stops increased steering massively. And they're cheapo CVDs and seem OK. Although now the bottom ball joint does have a habit of popping out. Hopefully a metal ball and some kind of washer beneath should sort that but I haven't done it yet. 

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the opinions guys, always appreciated.  I have read that the XV-01 is better, but I think for our purposes the TT02 will fit the bill.  Also awesome to see that they make a chassis cover, that solves my biggest gripe with running tub chassis on dirt like that.  Still going to do some more reading, but TT02s might be perfect for us.  WE don't really care about performance, the more quirks the better honestly.  We usually run ORV chassis and Grasshoppers so a TT02 will probably feel like a Ferrari to us anyway.  

@Re-Bugged - Thanks a lot, answered my question perfectly.  Looks like a stockish TT02 might be the ticket.  They're so cheap even if it doesnt work out no big deal.   I do have a TT02R for on-road and also a stock Mustang GT4 that I built just because I liked the body.  Wonder if I should just make the Mustang into an off-roader.  I spent so much time on that body though, would be a shame to destroy it :)  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@87lc2 to keep the tub from collecting sand, just drill some holes on the tub itself so that the sand can drain out. TT-02 tubs are dirt cheap so I wouldn’t worry about drilling holes since you can go can always change it back. Make sure to also trim the little lips on the rear uprights to allow the rear arms to drop further down. I just built a TT-02 from spares and set it up for rally use and it was a blast in the dirt. Even with some hopups (oil shocks, aluminum steering and propeller shaft, bearings and CVD universals) it was still cheaper than buying a new TT-02 kit. Still need to get the chassis cover but I’m not too worried about dust and water since I have a waterproof servo and ESC in there as well as a sealed receiver box.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

I would just do the XV02-Pro and call it.  I speak from experience.  To me the XV01 is unnecessary complicated to build for a mediocre car both design and performance.  Considering the price with the Delta body (bought from PlazaJapan during very weak JPY) it was a steal though.  :D 

Or just do the TT02 variant if one wants to go economically.  The TT02 is a capable chassis.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

I would just do the XV02-Pro and call it.  I speak from experience.  To me the XV01 is unnecessary complicated to build for a mediocre car both design and performance.  Considering the price with the Delta body (bought from PlazaJapan during very weak JPY) it was a steal though.  :D 

Or just do the TT02 variant if one wants to go economically.  The TT02 is a capable chassis.  

That XV02-Pro looks good, havent seen that one before.  Looks like that would get filled with sand/dirt though, not as sealed as the XV01 at first glance.  That's not that big of a deal, I usually just dump the chassis out when I'm done running and give it a shot with the air compressor.    Edit - Nevermind, saw more pictures on Tower and looks like it comes with a cover.  I really like the look of this this.  And who doesnt want a "Pro" kit :)  Problem is I'd have to get 2 of them plus bodies, not sure its worth it just for fun running.  I could build another Pro Mod monster for that kind of money...

The TT02 is attractive because its cheap and its just for fun, won't be doing any serious racing with these things.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

To me the XV01 is unnecessary complicated to build for a mediocre car both design and performance. 

Doesn't the XV use bits and ends from the TA03 or something? I'm not a huge fan of "kitbash" chassis, since you often end up with spacers and shims to make it work.

For something that's going to get dirty, scuffed up, and put through its paces I'd suggest a TT02 for its simplicity and low cost, or go with one of Tamiyas entry level buggies.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kowalski86 said:

Doesn't the XV use bits and ends from the TA03 or something? I'm not a huge fan of "kitbash" chassis, since you often end up with spacers and shims to make it work.

For something that's going to get dirty, scuffed up, and put through its paces I'd suggest a TT02 for its simplicity, or go with one of Tamiyas entry level buggies.

No need for a buggy (have plenty of those), want a rally car in particular.  I like that TT02 with the Impreza shell and its dirt cheap.  Really leaning towards that at this point.  If I really like it maybe I'll get an XV down the road. 

Are there any other TT02 rally kits available than the Impreza at the moment?  You guys know way more about this than me, I just see what's available on Tower. 

1 minute ago, 87lc2 said:

Are there any other TT02 rally kits available than the Impreza at the moment?  You guys know way more about this than me, I just see what's available on Tower. 

There is the Audi Quattro, a 90's Toyota Celica (which is even cheaper than the Subaru), Lancia Delta, and a Toyota Yaris.

15 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

There is the Audi Quattro, a 90's Toyota Celica (which is even cheaper than the Subaru), Lancia Delta, and a Toyota Yaris.

Thank you.  I've seen most of those before, looks like the Subaru is the only one that comes with the rally block tires?  I do like that Audi, can always just swap tires on it. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

For something that's going to get dirty, scuffed up, and put through its paces I'd suggest a TT02 for its simplicity and low cost, or go with one of Tamiyas entry level buggies.

I believe it doesn’t share a single part with the TA03. Most of the XV-01 parts aren’t used on any other chassis except for the diffs which are from the TA06 and the servo saver (51000). If you dislike spacers, you will be disappointed when you build an XV-01 gearbox. I know I was. A car like that shouldn't have that many plastic spacers inside the gearbox.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 87lc2 said:

Thank you.  I've seen most of those before, looks like the Subaru is the only one that comes with the rally block tires?  I do like that Audi, can always just swap tires on it. 

Yes buy the body you want and for the tires, get the cheap knockoff rally tire/wheel combo ($16 from Amazon). Aside from being cheaper, it is slightly taller than the Tamiya rally block tires and made of a much softer compound too. 

https://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Plastic-Tamiya-Upgrades-Accessories/dp/B0B8RPQ3TQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=19I96E0WL4DNW&keywords=rally+tires+tamiya&qid=1685463901&sprefix=rally+tires+tamiy%2Caps%2C308&sr=8-1

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 87lc2 said:

Wouldn't hurt to have some on-road tires to save wear on the rally blocks.

4 minutes ago, one_hit said:

If you dislike spacers, you will be disappointed when you build an XV-01 gearbox. I know I was. A car like that shouldn't have that many plastic spacers inside the gearbox.   

I expect spacers for suspension arms and steering, but why are there spacers in the gearbox?

2 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

That XV02-Pro looks good, havent seen that one before.  Looks like that would get filled with sand/dirt though, not as sealed as the XV01 at first glance.  That's not that big of a deal, I usually just dump the chassis out when I'm done running and give it a shot with the air compressor.    Edit - Nevermind, saw more pictures on Tower and looks like it comes with a cover.  I really like the look of this this.  And who doesnt want a "Pro" kit :)  Problem is I'd have to get 2 of them plus bodies, not sure its worth it just for fun running.  I could build another Pro Mod monster for that kind of money...

The TT02 is attractive because its cheap and its just for fun, won't be doing any serious racing with these things.  

It's well sealed actually.. The entire top is sealed unlike the XV01.  

TT02 is a sound choice.  

IMG_2023-4-8-175000.jpg.803997eb17d12b4aa879e39f2f0dece7.jpg

IMG_2023-4-8-174858.thumb.jpg.66a636e3666726187057b3401e972e7c.jpg

IMG_2023-4-8-174923.thumb.jpg.fcbd7299fa6ffaa9623b09ca4c2dc370.jpg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Kowalski86 said:

Wouldn't hurt to have some on-road tires to save wear on the rally blocks.

I expect spacers for suspension arms and steering, but why are there spacers in the gearbox?

I know right? At the very least, they should have supplied aluminum spacers. I need to open up the gearbox on my XV-01 to investigate a grinding noise, not sure if it’s the belt skipping or the pin groove has rounded on the idler gear. I wish it was as easy as servicing a TT-02 or TA05/TA08 gearbox 

spacer.png

I just got done putting one together and it was honestly not a fun build.. :wacko:   More annoyed than anything.

IMG_2023-5-29-190353.jpg.49bd6eb5ef9ed0f793794a5bfd2e380b.jpg

Now this was a fun build..  B)

IMG_2023-1-13-213606.thumb.jpg.b655f65e014fe185920eca6678928b81.jpg

• Like 3

Whenever I hear TT-02, I feel I should mention DF-02. 

It is nearly identical, except that DF-02 has metal diffs.  The tub has a central shaft enclosure that works like a rigid backbone of the chassis (it has a slender door for the shaft at the bottom). Because of ribs on battery tray, fitting a boxy LiPo battery might be troublesome, though.   

kGaJ3IO.jpg

heahAi5.jpg

• Like 2