Saito2

Kyosho Legendary Series availability

Does anybody know what's up with the poor availability of  Kyosho re-releases in the US? The majority of the buggies are out of stock at Kyosho America most of the time. One buggy might pop up for a few weeks and then disappear for months on end. How is Kyosho doing as a company? The new website seems a  bit messy too. If you click on option parts for a Tomahawk for example, there are Mini-Z parts presented while the Turbo Scorpion has no spares nor option parts available.

• Like 2

That’s Kyosho! They have been doing that for years they disappear for what seems like an eternity people start talking about the viability of Kyosho then they reappear and Kyosho have never had a good spare parts base!

In the uk the legendary kit are all very much available and have been for months but spare parts are a different story? So I think it’s probably got a something to do with the US importer’s?

• Like 1

My guess is that the "legendary" buggies are intended as collectors items, so availability will be sporadic, parts support non-existent.

I'm not sure how healthy Kyosho is, but I've heard that they weren't in good shape.

It’s the same here in Oz, there’s good stock for a little while, then nothing for ages. With the exception of Mini Z’s there’s always plenty of those. I (fortunately) haven’t had to buy any spares yet, but the Satin Chrome Wheels for a Turbo Scorpion are impossible to get here.
I also think that the RTR’s are probably more popular these days too. 
‘Pre-Ordering’ could be a factor as well. Kyosho (and many companies now) only put something in production when it’s worth their while, rather than flood shelves ‘hoping’ they sell.

@Willy iine might be able to shed some light on the shortage though as he’s picked up a few lately 😉

• Like 2

If you look at Kyosho Japan's web sight, it lists several of the "legendary series" kits as undecided. Its been this way for several months now. While I'm not suggesting Kyosho is ending the series, it would seem they may be determining if the demand is still there, and there is a slow down in economic conditions around the globe. I've noticed even the mighty Traxxas has started discounting their overpriced RTR models, which they have never done this before.

I personally wanted to build a new Kyosho Javelin kit, but none were available. Managed to source a Optima kit from Tamico and all the necessary conversion parts to build my Javelin. Tamiya seems to make batches of "special edition" cars now to peek interest, and once their sold out, those are gone too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Did it end up here?  ..:ph34r: :lol:

IMG_2023-4-1-191933.jpg.c125200ed003238bb8125455e598408a.jpg

I have no idea what Kyosho is thinking.  But what I do know is to buy the kits in multiples while in stock if there is a hint of 'I might want it'..  the strategy is don't think, just buy.. :ph34r:   seems to work for me..

• Like 10
  • Haha 4

54 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

the strategy is don't think, just buy.. :ph34r:   seems to work for me..

Yeah, unfortunately, I think that's what you have to do. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichieRich said:

Yeah, unfortunately, I think that's what you have to do. 

And chances are very good one will be able to sell later if they change their mind.  So it is low risk.  

Well, that's a bummer since they make such beautiful creations. I like plentiful parts support for vehicles I run harder/more frequently rather than the occasional light novelty drive.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Saito2 said:

Well, that's a bummer since they make such beautiful creations. I like plentiful parts support for vehicles I run harder/more frequently rather than the occasional light novelty drive.

When they do have parts, they have a very strong supply from Kyosho America, Plaza Japan, etc .  I have many shoe box tubs worth of various Kyosho parts and NIB for each of the cars as I become a hamster for hoarding parts.  :lol:  So it's not just novelty drive support.. My current cars have to last me the rest of my life so even if Kyosho decided to discontinue the Legendary Series today, I expect to have sufficent supply to keep them going.  If I die early I don't care.. I am happy while I am here. B)

• Like 2

Kyosho seems to run new batches of everything Legendary series all at the same time.  Last time they came in, they all seemed to be in stock at once.  Parts can be tricky but I don’t think they have discontinued anything yet. They switched inventory sometime during COVID so you will notice a lot of parts are marked discontinued when they often are not.  For example the satin chrome wheels SCH006SC show discontinued, but their replacement SCH006SCB is not.  Same part different number.  
Having said all that, if you are even curious about a Legendary Series car, buy it.  They are exceptionally made and build beautifully.

• Like 2

For anyone that might care, I saw that rcMart has a new pre-order on the Turbo Optima due 6/30..  I am looking to get a couple more regular Optima's before all said and done.. I want one to join my outdoor only cars in my garage.. perhaps this is a sign more are on the way..(?)  :D

I know Kyosho just got done with the Shizuoka Hobby Show so I am sure they are trying to figure out which cars to run this year..

3 hours ago, Willy iine said:

I know Kyosho just got done with the Shizuoka Hobby Show

Did they really have Joel Johnson’s actual 1987 Ultima champion on show or was it a modern recreation? :) 

shizuoka-hobby-show-2023-24.jpg

2 hours ago, WillyChang said:

Did they really have Joel Johnson’s actual 1987 Ultima champion on show or was it a modern recreation? :) 

It could be the real deal. The actual car was restored back in 2015.

FB_IMG_1446903672162_zpsdtzu3wks.jpg

• Like 1

It is probably time for Kyosho to do another version of the Ultima, been a while since the re-re came out.  I would love to see them do a re-release the old Land Jumps.  I hate nitro but there is something about those cars that is fascinating to me.  

2 hours ago, tamiya3speed said:

It is probably time for Kyosho to do another version of the Ultima, been a while since the re-re came out.  I would love to see them do a re-release the old Land Jumps.  I hate nitro but there is something about those cars that is fascinating to me.  

I hope that wasn't the Dirt Master because it's supposedly a new version Ultima... biggest issue for me is that the Dirt Master was not designed by the master himself, Kogawa-san.  I don't mind having the legendary series as they are especially since I don't race any more and just enjoy looking at and mildly driving my cars from time to time. 

That said, got my Beetle #6 today.  :D

IMG_2023-6-1-182116.jpg.d802b063607b817a0ab64225d2669449.jpg

If you are in the Southern California area, Pegasus Hobbbies had about 4-6 of the Kyoshos on the shelf. I don’t the models well enough but they had a few in stock. 

I've had a javalin on back order for a year and a half, while collectors sit on about 5 of them, stocked away in their precious closets. 

2 hours ago, F-150 said:

I've had a javalin on back order for a year and a half, while collectors sit on about 5 of them, stocked away in their precious closets. 

I understand the frustration :(.

• Thanks 1

I'm also waiting on a Javelin and Optima..  It's really the Javelin I want as my outdoor car. 

On 6/10/2023 at 1:34 PM, Willy iine said:

I'm also waiting on a Javelin and Optima..  It's really the Javelin I want as my outdoor car. 

I want a javalin so bad ...it's the last car(other than an original RC-10) to complete my collection and satisfy my excessive spending on RC cars. The Javelin was the car I wanted as a kid but you know....mom said it cost too much. 

I ended up with a Raider, but I love that car....I managed to find and collect 4 NIB originals and one runner. It tickles me that after all these decades, when I run my Raider I feel 13 again. I have it painted as well as I can remember having it as a kid. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, F-150 said:

I want a javalin so bad ...it's the last car(other than an original RC-10) to complete my collection and satisfy my excessive spending on RC cars. The Javelin was the car I wanted as a kid but you know....mom said it cost too much. 

I ended up with a Raider, but I love that car....I managed to find and collect 4 NIB originals and one runner. It tickles me that after all these decades, when I run my Raider I feel 13 again. I have it painted as well as I can remember having it as a kid. 

Here's mine.. but I want another one dedicated for outdoor use.    :D

IMG_2022-12-12-172536.jpg.e7b940ad010c5800f0f1ca160d96111e.jpg

IMG_2022-12-12-172547.jpg.2a00ac8b6aa6d98734153c209a40a916.jpg]IMG_2022-12-12-172626.jpg.ed3d556864fcabc48a2c31524fb561c3.jpg

• Thanks 1

I actually built my Javelin out of leftover parts after restoring an original Optima and Turbo Optima, using re-re cage and wheels, with re-pro tyres from MarwanRC

51864757826_dcecc6c509_k.jpg

51864836298_6d7ac4753d_k.jpg

I’m wanting the Ultima next, hopefully one I’m eyeing off is still available in the next month or so. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

Here's mine.. but I want another one dedicated for outdoor use.    :D

Wow, I gotta get one.  I obsess over open roll cage type cars and proba ly what fueled my spending finger to get a BBX now. Yah I did it again....pulled a trigger for a BBX, they seem like a really nice kit from what I am reading and look **** nice. I'm going to run it too....no more queens for me 

On 5/30/2023 at 4:33 PM, Saito2 said:

Same here, a part of the reason that I'm iffy on the Kyosho Rampage is Kyoshos not great parts support...and the quite expensive body shells.