I think it's time for a change... Since I've got several of these, all crawlers and trail trucks, how about finally converting one into a monster truck? Been wanting to commit to it for a while...  Chassis is pretty much perfect for it and it's built like a tank. Seeing 87lc2's cool build sealed the deal. Grabbed the wrenches and got to work... 

Here's what I started with - crawled pretty good actually, but out of my four it's the best candidate for the conversion. 
20230521-111218-SM.jpg
20230521-115214-SM.jpg

The custom chassis was 2 holes shorter per side, and I needed the extra length so I went back to the stock chassis for now. Flipped it around so the battery is now in the back. I tore down the axles and removed the HD lockers and went back to diffs. That took....well, forever and a day pretty much. Those axles have a lot of parts! 
20230530-111054-SM.jpg

Went with springs and stand alone shocks - love this setup. I didn't want a ton of travel and high CG, so the barrel springs were fine. Soft up front and medium out back. 
20230530-111101-SM.jpg

I had to make some standoffs for the shocks to raise them up a touch - they act as travel limiters for the springs so I had to make sure they didn't extend too far. If I had used the longer standard springs, I could have probably gotten away with it. Shocks are de-springed Axial Icons with 25wt. oil all around. 
20230530-111109-SM.jpg

There's a 22t Kyosho Outlaw brushed 540 that's older than the hills hiding under there with a 24t pinion. I had a Holmes torque ring left over from a previous project so I slapped it on. No idea if it'll make a difference or not, but thought it couldn't hurt. Starting with a brushed/1060 combo on 2S for now until I get it sorted.  
20230530-111116-SM.jpg

Shaved skid for crawler duty, should work out fine here too, and some random Axial and Element driveshafts. I'm looking for a matching set of lower links, either blue or silver. They are here somewhere on something somewhere. 
20230530-111141-SM.jpg

Threw on some Proline Destroyers to get an idea of the stance. I like it! Needs a set of wheels with some more offset, that's for sure.
20230530-111519-SM.jpg
20230530-111539-SM.jpg

I had to order a new Cliffhanger body - i like the shape and it honestly it looks pretty good monster=ized, but I had already drilled 2 sets of holes in it, and needed a third due to the change in chassis length. Once I get to three holes in the hood, in the trash it goes. I'm an RC hoarder, but not that much of a hoarder! :) 

• Like 10

I’ve never owned a CR01.

However it has always looked good to me - a bit like Apple and Tamiya collaborated on buying Meccano and bringing it into the  21st Century. 

Beautifully designed, over engineered, but who cares when it looks that good. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OldSchoolRC1 said:

I tore down the axles and removed the HD lockers and went back to diffs. That took....well, forever and a day pretty much. Those axles have a lot of parts! 

You ain't kidding! ;)

Looks awesome, lots of upgrades on that.  I think the CR-01 is a perfect mini monster, has a great scale to it with the narrow axles and 2.2 monster truck tires.  I liked mine when I put it together, and after running it for the first time the other day I love it.  Can't wait to get it out again.  I am running lockers in mine (for mud) and 4WS, it has absolutely no turning radius in 2WS only. 

Looking good.  How are the shock absorbers attached to the axle?  I can see there's a blue anodised part but can't see how it fits to the axle. I want to convert my cr01 monster to a more conventional suspension set up so trying to get ideas.

On 6/1/2023 at 4:34 PM, davidwj95 said:

Looking good.  How are the shock absorbers attached to the axle?  I can see there's a blue anodised part but can't see how it fits to the axle. I want to convert my cr01 monster to a more conventional suspension set up so trying to get ideas.

The lower mounts have 4 holes, 2 for the spring perch and 2 extra, the link mount for the cantilever goes here IIRC. I mounted it in one of the extra holes. 

Pic from an older build:

20190303-123044sm.jpg

• Like 1

Jconcepts 2.2 Midwest wheels arrived today, I think they'll look great! Built with the middle offset option. 

Of course, nothing is ever easy - the hubs are so thick the axle doesn't come out far enough to get a nut on. Nothing a set of TG10 axles can't solve! I only have 2 on hand, so I had to order another set. Body and tires should be here early next week. 
20230601-131820-sm.jpg

• Like 2

Tires, axles and body all showed up yesterday.

Went with Jconcepts Ranger Blues, I have them on another CR01 and I think the size is perfect for this chassis. The others are on 3D printed wheels with built in offset - a little too much, so I went with the new wheels and glad I did - the white is just a classic look. The planetary covers are out getting a coat of black paint. 
20230606-165859-SM.jpg
20230606-165907-SM.jpg

Stance is spot on for a mini monster
20230606-165927-SM.jpg

New cliffhanger body, sitting a bit higher than before. Love the way it's shaping up! 
20230606-170828-SM.jpg
20230606-170816-SM.jpg

Taper on the body works well with the big tires, but I still get a bit of rub up front when turning and the suspension is compressed, I'll wait and see if it's an issue when running before doing some trimming
20230606-170906-SM.jpg

And yes, I did eventually tighten the kingpins. :) Got excited and forgot apparently. 

• Like 5

Looks great!  You should be fine with the body.  Mine rubs a bit and unless I'm really crawling and flexing the truck it has been just fine.  I like the Rangers tire as well but don't use any currently, just never found a truck they actually worked on.  They look great, but don't do well for crawling or racing. You may have convinced me to get another set for my CR-01 though, they look great and for the light trail/mud duty mine will be seeing they could be just fine. 

And by the way - those are not planetary covers on the Midwest wheels, just hub covers :)   Just messing around, I'm a bit of a monster truck history nut - Those old school aluminum wheels (made by Midwest Machine) did not have provisions for planetary gear sets.  

I also used the same wheels as you but the other jc concepts tyres (renegade?) I find that one rear tyre rubs on full acceleration as the suspension twists. I'm also using the barrel springs.

Im going to try changing back to the standard springs this weekend to see if that helps.  I'm going to put the stiffer springs on the back which is opposite to the standard set up.  I also swapped the battery to the rear.  If that doesn't work I'll try thicker shock oil.

I'm not sure if you've seen it but I did a build thread on mine. I haven't added to it for a while, It's on page 4 of this forum.

14 hours ago, davidwj95 said:

I'm not sure if you've seen it but I did a build thread on mine. I haven't added to it for a while, It's on page 4 of this forum.

I did indeed, I scan all the CR01 threads! :) Love the blacked out chassis, I didn't have the heart to cover up all the shiny aluminum goodies on mine, though it looks much better in black. 

22 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

Looks great!  You should be fine with the body.  Mine rubs a bit and unless I'm really crawling and flexing the truck it has been just fine.  I like the Rangers tire as well but don't use any currently, just never found a truck they actually worked on.  They look great, but don't do well for crawling or racing. You may have convinced me to get another set for my CR-01 though, they look great and for the light trail/mud duty mine will be seeing they could be just fine. 

And by the way - those are not planetary covers on the Midwest wheels, just hub covers :)   Just messing around, I'm a bit of a monster truck history nut - Those old school aluminum wheels (made by Midwest Machine) did not have provisions for planetary gear sets.  

I just plan on running around the backyard, nothing serious. in fact, a little slippage from the tires might be a good thing for cyclones and general mayhem. :)  Hub covers it is! Whatever they are, they look much better in black inside the white wheels.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OldSchoolRC1 said:

I just plan on running around the backyard, nothing serious. in fact, a little slippage from the tires might be a good thing for cyclones and general mayhem. :)  Hub covers it is! Whatever they are, they look much better in black inside the white wheels.  

Yes, I always paint them black and paint all of the little fake bolts black, makes for a nice contrast.  Such a great looking tire, interested to see what you think of them after running the truck. 

2 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

Yes, I always paint them black and paint all of the little fake bolts black, makes for a nice contrast.  Such a great looking tire, interested to see what you think of them after running the truck. 

Agreed, the wheels look great with a bit of paint added to them!

1ke2x9p.jpg

• Like 2

Finished the CR01 monster conversion, I think it came out pretty good!  Tires are the perfect size, and the cliffhanger looks pretty decent up there. 

I took the chassis out for a test drive before I finished the body and it zips along pretty good. Plenty of acceleration, but not a lot of top end - exactly like a monster truck should. I may look into a mild BL system at some point, the 22t 540 is working hard in there. It stays pretty flat under acceleration which is kinda surprising. Also soaks up the jumps pretty good, just bounces a bit in the rear. I did find out pretty quick that 2WS is more than enough, 4WS at speed is an immediate rollover. Does fantastic cyclones though! 

I'll post up some action shots as soon as mother nature cooperates!

20230709-201542-SM.jpg
20230709-201550-SM.jpg
20230709-201601-SM.jpg

• Like 7

That came out awesome, nice work!  Has a great look to it.  

Easily one of the coolest things I've seen in a while, nice work! 

Finally was able to get some action shots...sorry for the poor quality, apparently my phone doesn't like things in motion! What a fun build, does torque twist a bit off the line, but once it's going, it's fine. Jumps very well, and can do cyclones for days. Pretty much everything I want in a monster truck! 
new-SM.jpg
20230721-183713-SM.jpg
20230721-183742-SM.jpg
20230721-183830-0-SM.jpg
20230721-184350-SM.jpg
20230721-184359-SM.jpg

• Like 10