Sign in to follow this  
Gazzalene

Tiger ii ( rc) spares around?

See a Tamiya Tiger ii tank in a local second hand shop.

has a old acoms trans with it and the kit looks worse for wear. not had a good look untill i found out about spares.

i have not found any shops i used for tamiya rc cars that have spares in stock.

whats advice on buying a tamiya tank if it needs a fair amount of spare parts? thanks

Depends on how much the shop is asking for the tank model & how many parts are missing.

Parts for these older tanks are not easy to find and it sounds as though this may be the early version with the single motor.

You may find it better in the long run to just buy a brand new kit which comes with the DMD unit & twin motors.

There is a NIB 56010 kit on ebay right now for £649.95 which I think is a bit of a bargain.

• Like 1

Tamiya spares are always considerably more expensive than one would think is a valid price.  you definitely want to download the PDF manual for it and go through that, it will give you a good idea what you will need to get to bring the tank back to orignal state.  after you know what's missing, you can price that out on ebay, using the tank's model number plus parts bag identifier.   after you have a good idea what all the replacements will cost, you can decide whether it is a good or bad deal.

• Like 1

I hate to bring it up, especially here, but the "other" 1/16 scale tank manufacturers will be considerably less expensive than a tamiya tank...    for example, MotionRC has a heng long tiger II for $170 plus shipping.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2023 at 8:25 PM, tim.senecal said:

heng long tiger II

Aren't the Heng Longs all RTR? So suitable if @Gazzalene would like an immediate runner but if they are looking for the experience of taking apart and rebuilding a kit maybe the Heng Longs are less suitable?

There are still parts around, at least for 56018, but it depends what you need.

I have quite a few parts, like a complete set of wheels, the standard tracks and quite a few of the plastic detail parts.

Tamico.de have some parts, and modellbau-seidel.de have some too if you can persuade someone in Germany to ship them to you. Just put Königstiger in the search field.

Is anything actually broken or does it just look scruffy? Turret rotation and gun elevation can be a bit dodgy from new, but there are work-arounds for that.

• Like 1