Nikko85

Putting cars on ice

It's been around 3 years since I started getting back into RC cars, like many people here it was kicked off by lockdown and too much time on my hands.

Since then I've seen a collection grow to around 12 vehicles, but I'm slowly starting to wonder if less is more? I find I like planning and making them, but then I spend more time organising my collection than driving. I've realised with around 4 cars I could have all my bases covered. I've not really got enough space for all of them out, as I don't have a dedicated room or storage shelf.

I was wondering what do with the other cars? I thought of selling them, but each car has had many hours put in, and as they are custom made I doubt I'd even get as much, so I was debating boxing them up and storing in the loft. With any luck I will kind of forget about them, and then in a few years enjoy them all afresh.

I was wondering if anyone here had done something similar? Essentially store somewhere to find again in a few years - less permanent than selling, but gets them out the way for a while. And if I do store in a box in the loft, any tips to keep them tip top condition? 

• Like 2

I reduced my collection down and kept the best ones, mostly for show.

However like many,  I found that the plastic storage boxes have been the best at keeping them clean and safe when they were in storage. 

Wheels off and that was about it, I did take them out of the loft last year as I was concerned about them warping in the extreme heat we had in August. 

Having a couple of runners and a project is all I have time for, but it works for me, keeps my hand in and having an ongoing project helps me to buy less projects - if that makes sense! 

• Like 2

You could buy some of those plastic storage boxes with lids to put them in?  That should keep the dust off them and may protect them from changes in temperature and humidity a little bit.

• Like 1

Sounds like a plan, we use really useful storage boxes at work which are pretty good. I just can't bear the thought of selling for peanuts on eBay (and the hassle) but find myself tripping over cars and I really could do with extra space.

Perhaps I'll drop them onto the classifieds here, but with full knowledge that I'll probably be boxing them up soon enough.

• Like 1

Your thinking of what I’ve just done I’m fortunate enough to have a very small man cave and like you my collection has expanded and I took the decision to store a half a dozen or so back in their boxes which meant dismantling them a small amount! But I’ve not chosen to put them in the loft because the fluctuation in temperatures doesn’t do the boxes much good so my parents house in the spare room is my choice! 
which has left me with all my Kyosho buggies and 4 tamiya ( egress and avante black, original Avante and top force evo) which is much more manageable! I use the all very lightly and I now have more room for my traxxas maxx and Arrma vortex when they need wrenching, 

I'm not going to sell any because like you say to many hours have gone into them and at the moment I’m finding people want them for absolutely nothing so it’s not really worth considering (at the moment)

Yes, if money is not a issue put them in plastic containers and store them away. My other thoughts has been giving them away as gift but when i see how the kids in the family threat their toys (basically throw them away/forget them and back to a screen) i change my mind, same with adults in my familly, they can buy big jacuzzi to take one example only to use it once and then left outside to it fall apart during the winter. Knowing that they dont take care or do not have respect for things i will certainly not give them gifts im proud off that i know they will not care for, that and it also take some skill to maintain them.

f9nGTNl.jpg

• Like 2

Yes, I could give some to nephews and nieces, but I think they would be forgotten, or they've got a few already! 

Another user of loft space (well, workshop storage level space) and plastic boxes here.  I but the bargain basement version of Really Useful boxes - there's a Proper Job 2 minutes drive from me that has lots of size options and usually plenty of stock.  Sometimes they'll go in complete, sometimes I need to remove the wheels - depends on the car and box size.

Like you say, you can put stuff away and forget about it even though you might go right past it every week.  I usually go into the storage area at least once per week, often to retrieve something from the RC storage area, and I'll move boxes around containing cars I've completely forgotten about, or not had time to work on, and I don't even think about them until I'm looking for something I've lost, and then it's a moment of "oh, yeah, I remember that - I need to fix that problem it had" or "that was a project I barely started, that'll be fun to finish in the winter" or "I don't think I'll ever finish that one, but I could use those parts for x, y and z"

I don't think I've had anything deteriorate badly in a lidded plastic box, even in the high temps of the last couple of years.

I have several cars (maybe 10?) in my closet in the pretendRCshop that is currently in a similar situation.   They all run, but once I lose interest in a car they have no value to me besides just for parts.   I don't usually sell anything these days, so they just get placed on a dark shelf (tires off the ground).  Some cars look brand new too..   as others have mentioned, if there was a kid or someone that showed interest I would give it to them, but most don't share the same level of interest as us, so..    I mean if the person is going to trash it, I would rather keep it on my shelf for a rainy day.

The main purpose of the pretendRCshop is for displaying cars as an RC car lounge.   I can still enjoy the cars while I may not be fully committed to RC at that point in my life.  In the past I sold mostly everything when going hiatus and I really regretted it (well, I was even poorer so needed the funds for another hobby);  I don't do that any more.  Just keep it if you have the room.  It's not like they go bad if you seal it up in a box as others have said, tires off the ground.  They will basically last decades in that state if stored correctly.

• Like 2

So, I put my cars upstairs in the loft and spied my FJ45 QD. Ah, I thought, why not one last run before I put you up for a while? Perhaps I really do need TWO real wheel drive monster trucks...

I used electrical tape as a quick fix to stop the wheels spinning in the tires. I don't think I had realised how much speed and acceleration wheel slipping was costing me as...

Boom!

iE7l1GM.jpg

I'll be honest, it was just too fast and then it landed badly on the BMX track for the 35 year old plastics, but it's actually a good example of whilst I love those quick drives in some way, I just prefer driving a car with modern plastic or spares. I've got a spare parts project QD and I've got a lots of spares, but NOT the lower part of the front steering, so essentially I'd have to get a whole new car to make it work, unless I find that piece on eBay.

**** it. I really loved those QDs, but the last time I took out the SCT QD I snapped a front arm and now this. Before that I had broken nothing in years.

Kinda makes the case to put all put all but a  few away. 

• Sad 2

Oof! Well, yeah, that makes it a good time to put that one away, and just keep an eye out for parts.

I have quite a few cars in those clear plastic "stasis fields." Many are 80% finished projects that I moved on from without finishing, either because they're missing something I haven't gotten a hold of yet, or because I lost interest for a while. I never want to just "push through" and finish something when I'm bored with it, just to get it done, because this is supposed to be fun. Putting stuff away until I feel inspired again takes longer, but the thing turns out right in the end because I'm working on it when I want to.

Unless you need the money, I wouldn't sell anything. I have a very short list of models I regret buying, and a very long list of models I regret selling. Of course, had I kept them all, my storage problem would be even worse...

• Like 1

I have I think 6 or 7 RCs atm? But I'm doing a big clean up and only keeping the fun, somewhat robust ones that are cheap to keep going.

When I store mine I just keep them on a shelf in the basement, away from heat/sunlight.

I found that ozone (dry rot that weakens plastic and rubber) and moisture (rust) are most damaging in my case.  Mine are not exposed to heat.  

1) It would be a good idea to prop them up. Even in the box, gravity does not stop.  Caps of spray cans, empty iphone boxes, even empty beer cans under the chassis can relieve pressure off the tires. (Thingyverse has a stand, if you have a 3D printer. I really should get a 3D printer:  https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4196787  I don't know about the pegs at the bottom of the stand, though. Those things can poke holes on some boxes after a year or two.)  

yIFmiab.png

This would be long-term box friendly. Better weight distribution.  (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4723568

MByfyG7.png

2) If you put the whole car in a plastic bag, it can give extra protection against dry-rot or ozone damage, just in case the box gets compromised. 

3) I save these things from shoe boxes (even tiny ones from vitamin bottles).  It could keep the box rust-free.  (It depends on how air-tight the box could remain. Plastic boxes can crack or warp after several years, especially of they are exposed to temperature variation).  

MFeRcJW.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks everyone. Is there a reason why I cant store them on their roofs? 😄

1 hour ago, Juggular said:

3) I save these things from shoe boxes (even tiny ones from vitamin bottles).  It could keep the box rust-free.  (It depends on how air-tight the box could remain. Plastic boxes can crack or warp after several years, especially of they are exposed to temperature variation).  

MFeRcJW.jpg

I'm on the same storage conundrum. Silica gel will definitely help in keeping humidity very low, which is good for preserving plastic. I wonder if this would hurt the rubber though.

47 minutes ago, Nikko85 said:

Thanks everyone. Is there a reason why I cant store them on their roofs? 😄

I spread the load on the suspension or support the chassis between the axles personally.

Is worth considering selling some if you can achieve a price you feel happy with?

I’m slowly but surely moving towards selling off some my expensive models,  if I can achieve a far price for them - if not I’ll be going storage boxes until some date later. 

It’s also a good idea to let the tension off of the springs by removing the lower shock mount and letting the shock hang or removing the springs. 

I'm not gonna lie... I was really hoping this was a thread on ice racing... :wacko:

• Like 9

26 minutes ago, bRIBEGuy said:

I'm not gonna lie... I was really hoping this was a thread on ice racing... :wacko:

That would be really fun. Ice skates as front wheels and spiked tires. Would love to watch that.

3 minutes ago, Nikko85 said:

That would be really fun. Ice skates as front wheels and spiked tires. Would love to watch that.

Back in the day we used to run studded tires on rally cars on outdoor skating rinks.  It was a hoot.

I haven’t across cars that i would like to store long term (for collection purpose), but i would definitely put it in a plastic box with latching lid so that nothing can go in and out. 

On 7/3/2023 at 8:25 AM, Grumpy pants said:

I reduced my collection down and kept the best ones, mostly for show.

However like many,  I found that the plastic storage boxes have been the best at keeping them clean and safe when they were in storage. 

Wheels off and that was about it, I did take them out of the loft last year as I was concerned about them warping in the extreme heat we had in August. 

Having a couple of runners and a project is all I have time for, but it works for me, keeps my hand in and having an ongoing project helps me to buy less projects - if that makes sense! 

Actually what he does is sell them to me🤣

• Haha 2

Thanks everyone, after a rather drastic cull I am left with these:

aGX9OrP.jpg

Not the greatest photo! If I am being honest with myself there's nothing anything else I've got that can do what these can't. 

I will pop the rest of my collection on the classifieds, and if not I'll place in storage. Look out for some bargains.

I will then spend my money slightly hopping these up, and looking at better driving experiences from these rather than just more for the sake of new. I've really enjoy growing an RC collection in the last three years, making and designing them, but I don't really enjoy owning so many.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nikko85 said:

Thanks everyone, after a rather drastic cull I am left with these:

aGX9OrP.jpg

Not the greatest photo! If I am being honest with myself there's nothing anything else I've got that can do what these can't. 

I will pop the rest of my collection on the classifieds, and if not I'll place in storage. Look out for some bargains.

I will then spend my money slightly hopping these up, and looking at better driving experiences from these rather than just more for the sake of new. I've really enjoy growing an RC collection in the last three years, making and designing them, but I don't really enjoy owning so many.

Nice collection. Monster tires look good on cc-02. I also do enjoy reduced collection and having more fun with what i have now

My advice would be to sell them if you honestly think you'll never use them again.  Easy for me to say of course, I rarely sell anything :)   I did go through a phase a year or so ago where I sold off a bunch of old projects that I just new I wasn't going to use.  I was hesitant as they were pretty much complete custom builds and I'd never have the patience or desire to make them again but I haven't thought about them for a second since they've been gone and to be honest, it was a lot easier than I imagined.  It was more relief that they were gone and I had the space and it helped that I got really good money for them (Ebay will get you top $ for nice stuff).  I feel the same with 1:1 cars.  I'm definitely sentimental about cars, but once they're gone I usually have a huge sense of relief.  Just sold a real car on Saturday and it was a great feeling to get that garage space back.

I'm starting to get that itch again too.  I mostly concentrate on my monster trucks these days and do a lot of racing (at least 2-3x per month), but the downside to that is since it's all out competition my older race trucks become obsolete and there really is not much use at all for an old solid axle race truck.  I have at least 8 "retired" race trucks at this time that are no longer competitive and I'll never use again but it really pains me to sell them.  Since I pretty much custom built them and actually used them in competition its hard for me to let go of them.  I keep thinking I should have on to them in case my daughter wants to race when she's old enough, but why let her start out with dated equipment?   

Definitely understand the dilemma, but from personal experience I think you'll be fine when they're gone.  Plus, you can build new ones to keep the cycle going!   I've found that I'm quite unhappy when I don't have a 'project' on the bench.  Best of luck either way!

• Like 2