taffer

58727 pajero on cw-01 chassis release

19 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

I’m easily confused being of a certain age so can I paraphrase this thread. What we have here is a lunchbox chassis, that only takes humpback batteries?, has the lovely little Pajero hard body, a new set of 1.9 inch bearing front wheels and an undefined rear wheel fitting. It also runs on a set of tyres that are new. Possibly has oil shocks!!! What have I missed???

Same as Montero as pictured below

Stick battery, new wheels (also fit hornet chassis), existing tyres and CVA shocks attached as shown in Montero manual hop up section

Screenshot_2023-07-15-21-56-45-596_com.adobe.reader.jpg

Edited by taffer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

I’m easily confused being of a certain age so can I paraphrase this thread. What we have here is a lunchbox chassis, that only takes humpback batteries?, has the lovely little Pajero hard body, a new set of 1.9 inch bearing front wheels and an undefined rear wheel fitting. It also runs on a set of tyres that are new. Possibly has oil shocks!!! What have I missed???

It should take regular NiMH and LiPo, the batteries go underneath the same as a Pumpkin-box.

The tires are from CC-01 (or maybe CC-02?) wheels. If they're anything like my set they're actually fairly hard for off road tires.

• Thanks 1

The tyres are not hard like the typical cc-01's but they are firm, had them on my cc-02

Edited by taffer

Can't see the CW01 wheelie bar. Does this mean it has less propensity to do nose-skyward driving? It wasn't just the large diameter wheels which made the Lunchbox / Pumpkin / Montero do wheelies, it was the weight distribution and short gearing.

An obscure release for sure, but always nice to see the classic hard-body mouldings get re-released. 

A part of me really wants a Honda CR-V. Not sure why, but I think that's one of the most realistic hard-body models Tamiya have ever made... Sorry to go off on a tangent.

• Like 2

The chassis tub was modified somewhat, particularly in the the steering area and a lower deck bolted on it lower the suspension mounting points (thus raising the vehicle) and add a new place to mount a 6 cell stick pack.

CW-01 - Tamiya chassis database - TamiyaBase.com

This first birthed the Lunch Box but also underpinned the Montero wheelie in this discussion.

Tamiya Rc Mitsubishi Montero Wheelie / Tamiya USA

• Like 1

And finally this, which is mechanically more like the Montero wheelie, but with smaller tires and wheels.

New Tamiya Mitsubishi Pajero CW-01 - TamiyaBlog

• Like 2

Thanks for all the explanations. 58044 as a re re with maybe a space for a modern battery, I’d go go but this just looks wrong. The wheels and tires are just too puny.

Is it possible to convert a CW-01 back to the original style Pajero chassis by just not fitting this lower deck or are the newer tub mouldings too different?

Apols, Ive never owned anything in the Lunchbox family but really like the look of the original Pajero.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Superluminal said:

Is it possible to convert a CW-01 back to the original style Pajero chassis by just not fitting this lower deck or are the newer tub mouldings too different?

Sort of. I've done it in the past. You need to figure out a shock/spring combo that will work and use Grasshopper rear gearbox pivots. The chassis tub is different at the front shock mount area as is visible in the pics above so take that into consideration. The steering servo sits flat instead of angled, like the Lunch Box, so some holes will need drilled to mount the servo in this fashion. A comparison look at the manuals will help illustrate the differences. The body mounts are different on the original, the front hooking on the tub IIRC, but that's of little consequence as Tamiya altered the mounting arrangement when they brought out the Montero wheelie to use mounting points like the Lunch Box/Pumpkin which this new Pajero will also undoubtedly share.

Just remember to mount your receiver pack at the front of the chassis tub for "off-road action" and at the rear for "stunt action". :lol: 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/15/2023 at 11:28 AM, Rinskie said:

It kinda has a vibe like this Jimny which if you ask me is one of the more fun projects I've seen. This may be blasphemous but I see a fun indoor runner to pop wheelies and chase the dog around the house while it's 118 degrees outside. The CW01's wheel base looks a touch longer and possibly more stable. 

Honestly, for inside you're much better off getting a SW-01, or T3-01. I use them both for running on long, dark winter evenings...

• Like 1

I think that there's a bit of confusion here - I'm fairly sure that this is just a CW-01 Lunchbox chassis, with different body mounts, wheels and tires, and CVA shocks. 

A re-re of an old hard body is nice, but the wheel and tire combo looks horrendous.

I want to know if they have any plans to release another body on the SW-01 chassis, after the Madmud travesty!!

• Like 1

Does anyone know what tires these are? Rock blocks? I wonder how those wheels will look with a Pumpkin or on a GF01.

2 minutes ago, Nikko85 said:

Does anyone know what tires these are? Rock blocks? I wonder how those wheels will look with a Pumpkin or on a GF01.

Yes 54598 rock blocks

It is very tempting to create a replica of the ‘84 kit. It’s a great looking kit that sounds like a fun ride.  Alberto has a good (read “honest”) review of the original. I see myself loving the build and first few runs, then shelving it in disappointment.  But it is such a great lookin’ RC that my inner 8 year old still yearns for….

• Like 2

It seems like a good idea to re-release the 58044 Pajero.   However this chassis and body looks too tall for the smaller wheels.  

I bet they don't have the original chassis tooling.  I guess it was irreversibly modified to produce the CW-01 chassis.   I'm not sure people would want the old model with the grasshopper springs and high battery position anyway.

So i just ordered the kit with the intent to build it, skipping the lift parts, mostly for a small wheel wheelie chassi as an alternative to the regular cw01 for running my pumpkin and lunchbox shells on.

Im not massively drawn towards the pajero body yet but the militaried out look that Willy has on his example looks really good IMO.

Has anyone else given this kit a spin yet?

Im asking because i realized it might come with 10 tooth pinion, which would probably be pretty slow with the smaller wheels, and as im intending to go with brat wheels (maybe, i did order some) an 18 tooth should be about right.

Was looking for the manual in PDF but havnt found it.

On 7/22/2023 at 7:47 AM, Wheel_Nut said:

It seems like a good idea to re-release the 58044 Pajero.   However this chassis and body looks too tall for the smaller wheels.  

I bet they don't have the original chassis tooling.  I guess it was irreversibly modified to produce the CW-01 chassis.   I'm not sure people would want the old model with the grasshopper springs and high battery position anyway.

The shell retaining lip at the front of the original chassis is prone to breaking off, so it maybe deliberate not to re- reing it.

It's certainly a kit I'm interested in, hoping to see a running video soon from someone

Found some more pics.

From the last one it looks like its using the motor spacer/lunchbox 10 tooth.

Looks like 1 piece rims using the adapter common to the older cars, to be expected with this gearbox.

From searching a bit it seems the tires should be 94mm in diameter, as opposed to the 115 of lunchbox tires, 94/115= 0.81ish meaning 19 percent lower top speed, with the 10 tooth, all else being equal.

I guess the lunchbox type wheelie bar angle is off with the smaller wheels but they really ought to include something to protect the body in the back, as its shown its going to want to stand on the rear wheels and rear bumper/spare, causing massive scraping on the back, IF it does actually wheelie.

But with the lack of a wheelie bar, smaller circumference wheels,10 tooth and forward/low battery mount it might not actually be doing wheelies stands out of the box.

Also there are no mentions of stunts or wheelies in the marketing material i have found, only that it is related to the montero wheelie.

ykXzeZg.png

PjXrD8l.png

ToKyw5B.png

eY7lBu9.png

• Like 1

I'm in all the way on this one. In fact I will be placing an order as soon as I get off work. I just dig the looks and can't explain why. I doubt the pinion is a 10 tooth but I may be wrong. Looks hilariously fun. I can see it being painted white with black zebra stripes or cow splotches.

1 hour ago, Rinskie said:

I doubt the pinion is a 10 tooth but I may be wrong

I hope you are right but this looks to me like the motor adapter required to make the 10 tooth fit:

K8vXBat.jpg

For comparission, here is a hornet gearbox from about the same angle, it doesnt use the motor adapter and normally runs the 18 tooth pinion:

AnYQnfT.jpg

And a lunchbox:

pwfxHay.jpg

1 hour ago, Rinskie said:

white with black zebra stripes or cow splotches

Id love to see that :D

4 hours ago, Ziddan said:

eY7lBu9.png

I always love the sight of a crispy white bushings, perfect for some high performance RC action!

cMVFCs1.jpeg

On a more serious note, with the smaller wheels maybe a Hornet 18t pinion could work?

I'm a little puzzled on the idea of mixing smaller wheels/tires with a Lunchbox pinion, since you'll be sacrificing off-roadability, what little speed the Lunchbox has, and possibly stability with no wheelie bar and more narrow tires.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

maybe a Hornet 18t pinion could work

Thats my thought as well after seeing this, just wish i had before placing my order as id now have to place another order just for the pinion.

They do write on the box that it is an offroad vehicle, with the smaller wheels + 10 tooth its going to have a lot of torque but pretty low speed speed, the CVAs should help handling a bit.

Still need to see if it wheelies out of the box, if it doesnt then it seems to me like its intended as something like 2 wd trail truck, rather than a fully offroad or stunt car, it might even be relatively capable in a trail capacity with some stiff grease was put in the diff for some limited slip action.

• Like 2

The smaller wheels and the 10 tooth pinion would necessitate the wheelie bar for sure. Having no wheelie bar seems to be an indicator it's not meant to be that sort of affair and (wishful thinking) would be closer to the Hornet's 18t. Honestly the tire diameter only seems marginally larger if at all over the Hornet's spikies. 

• Like 2