taffer

58727 pajero on cw-01 chassis release

34 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

I’m sorry but I just don’t get this.

I'm glad someone else thought this besides me. It sort of reminds me of that GF01 Monster Beetle Trail thing. Portals...on a wheelie machine :blink:.

I considered getting one under the following pretext. I missed out on the Montero wheelie. Here's a chance to get one. I have to source Lunch Box wheels/tires and a wheelie bar, but I would get oil filled shocks with this version and those nifty new wheels it comes with could be used on one of my vintage 2wd buggies. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

I’m sorry but I just don’t get this. It’s neither one thing no t’other. I love the body but wasn’t it originally a hard body, at least one you could paint. I really can’t see what its market is. The Squash van I get though don’t like the pre painted shell but this well🤷‍♂️

I guess it's both for the "trail truck" market, and to show off the new wheels/tires for re-release kits?

My main gripe is that for a "trail truck", it doesn't look that scale (especially when it bounces about) and it has an open diff. I like the concept but it's a bit of a hodge-podge in execution.

• Like 2

On 10/5/2023 at 6:58 AM, taffer said:

more of a trail vehicle now?

They seem to be suggesting that but it will diff out at the slightest hint of terrain when going at trail speeds.

And lol at pumping the throttle on and off to make it look like the rear suspension actually works 😅 the motor popping up and down makes the axle slap obvious.

I bet if you could see a plot of the throttle it would be zero every time the rear suspension actually moves lol.

Still a cool looking rig, though. 

Just a bit confused why Tamiya keep on putting the nicest bodies on the worst chassis.

I know part of the charm of the LB is it's primative suspension but I'm convinced a mk2 with a better chassis would sell, too.

• Like 3

Until tamiya have squeezed every last drop of revenue from bodies and chassis combinations (and now new wheel combos) we may may see a cw-02 in a few years!😳

4 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

They seem to be suggesting that but it will diff out at the slightest hint of terrain when going at trail speeds.

And lol at pumping the throttle on and off to make it look like the rear suspension actually works 😅 the motor popping up and down gives it away.

I bet if you could see a plot of the throttle it would be zero every time the rear suspension actually moves lol.

Still a cool looking rig, though. 

Just a bit confused why Tamiya keep on putting the nicest bodies on the worst chassis.

I know part of the charm of the LB is it's primative suspension but I'm convinced a mk2 with a better chassis would sell, too.

I get it even less now having seen the video . It looks like a toy pram being pushed across pebbles?

• Like 2

I really like the body and wheels.. (and surprised it comes with cva).

but that axle slap… nah.

I will pass on this..

• Like 1

Opened up the Pajero kit to install the body posts and test the body on the chassi i prepped.

Axle slap-> i went with a printed hornet style gearbox mount to allow for articulation and i also remixed a slap brace to mount around the square stud and screw into one of the existing holes in the tub so mine should have none of that.

I really like the look of it, way better than the tallboy it is out of the box.

Might lower the rear a couple of mms later on but for now i kinda like the very slight forward rake.

This is really what it should have been sold as, way more true to its original incarnation but upgraded with articulation in the rear.

Just gotta do up the servo saver, steering rods and design or bodge servo mount to get something like how it was on the original for the servo position and it should be driveable.

Ill probably design a wheelie bar shaped more like what was on the original to get the angle right and possibly replace that 10t pinion with an 18t one later on.

nQKEJE0.jpg

I got two servo saver sprues so that was a nice surprise.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ziddan said:

This is really what it should have been sold as, way more true to its original incarnation but upgraded with articulation in the rear.

I think what keeps Tamiya from doing just that is the fact they no longer make a "hump" style pack that the original rear mounted battery location tray required.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Saito2 said:

no longer make a "hump" style pack

Yeah that does sound very plausible.

I dont have one either so im just going to strap one (or two in parallel) small 2s lipos back there, here the big and easily openable zip tie comes in handly.

I might look at getting another 2s that will sit better in the tray later on but its no priority for now.

Got the servo sorted, just marked out and drilled two holes to mount it flat using the stock parts.

It drives and stands up on its rear wheels but as the wheelie angle is too low with this wheelie bar it just bounces back down straight away.

I also figured out that the holes above the motor is for putting the leads through, its keyhole shaped and the big round is just enough for the connector with the tube on it, then putting the first wire into the slot leaves space to the the other connector through.

AF1n82x.jpg

Question to @Willy iine and @AshRC as ive seen you post your own images of the original Pajero:

Could one of you guys measure the height off the ground and distance behind the wheel axle to axle of the wheelie bar wheel? 

From looking at pictures it seems like it would nearly seat into the cutout in the rear fender on full suspension compression.

I have it in mind to design a 3d printable one to give the right wheelie angle, it wont be as strong the aluminium one but i figure could make it somewhat triangular to also attach to the screw above where it usually mounts

14 hours ago, Ziddan said:

Opened up the Pajero kit to install the body posts and test the body on the chassi i prepped.

Axle slap-> i went with a printed hornet style gearbox mount to allow for articulation and i also remixed a slap brace to mount around the square stud and screw into one of the existing holes in the tub so mine should have none of that.

Might lower the rear a couple of mms later on but for now i kinda like the very slight forward rake.

Just gotta do up the servo saver, steering rods and design or bodge servo mount to get something like how it was on the original for the servo position and it should be driveable.

Ill probably design a wheelie bar shaped more like what was on the original to get the angle right and possibly replace that 10t pinion with an 18t one later on.

nQKEJE0.jpg

Now that’s more like it!!!!

14 hours ago, Ziddan said:

nQKEJE0.jpg

I've said it before, but I can't say that Tamiyas newest CW kit "looks like something a fan would make", because a fan would do better as you've proven. The brace is something Tamiya should've made ages ago.

How long did it take for you to make that?

15 hours ago, Ziddan said:

nQKEJE0.jpg

looks good!Im also thinking of getting one and building it like this i need something to take to the beach lol

10 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

How long did it take

The brace? Not long, i had the shape to fit around the square peg modeled already from back when i was working on my Midnight Beetle.
Before i converted the gearbox to individual swing arm suspension it ran a regular cw01 gearbox/axle on an extended mount to get the wheelbase right.
I made a slap brace for it and mounted it around the square peg.
The shape for the cup part of the brace i remixed from a slap brace i found on thingiverse, there are multiple ones around.

The whole build? Not much more than a regular CW01 as it just that but leaves out a couple of parts, most of the time was spend figuring out the correct shock length/positions.

Thanks guys!

@Willy iine and @AshRC: I found a vid by Ampro Engineering over the tubes and it showed the wheelie wheel position at full suspension compression so i eyeballed it from there, seems to be close enough as the angle looks about right when holding the car back into where it should go on wheelies.

Modeled up and printed a very simple wheelie bar consisting of four parts, one side with a brace triangulating up to the screw higher up on the rear of the gearbox, a mirrored side without the brace (as there isnt a screwhole on that side) and two spacers so i could make the parts print flat and with very minimal supports, just under the top screw hole part.

This also shows the multiple selection lower shock position part i remixed to get the rear height dialed in, ended up going with the lowest position which leaves a few MMs between the motor and the top deck at full suspension compression, i might cut away the superfluous positions from the 3d model at some point and reprint at some point but im leaving it as is for now.

Didnt have any of the bushings for the lower suspension eyelet so i used a couple of layers of shrink tubing to remove the slop which ought to be alright for the time being.

2BfRBjG.jpg

Today ive gone at some details on the Pajero body with sharpies and silver pens, door handles, locks and the window trim.

Masked and sprayed the grille area and bumpers black, brush painted the silver.

Then applied some of the decals.

I might go over the stuff on the flat bed at some point and add a bit of oil wash patina/weathering, but for now i think this looks quite presentable.

3ZshBvT.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ziddan said:

Today ive gone at some details on the Pajero body with sharpies and silver pens, door handles, locks and the window trim.

Masked and sprayed the grille area and bumpers black, brush painted the silver.

Then applied some of the decals.

I might go over the stuff on the flat bed at some point and add a bit of oil wash patina/weathering, but for now i think this looks quite presentable.

3ZshBvT.jpg

looks good i like the look way more than the box art.Are those subaru brat wheels?

11 minutes ago, twaleta said:

subaru brat wheels

Yeppers, and leaving out the lift parts of the cw01 chassi makes them fit well since there isnt as much chassi visible between the body and the ground.

Thanks Dude :)

• Like 2

Ive placed and order for an 18t pinion.

With the stock 10t it does wheelie very easily but as it also reached top speed near instantly it doesnt hold the wheelie for very long.

From the vids ive seen, it seems it came with an 18t and should wheelie nicely with it, hopefully the lessened torque/higher top speed will mean its going to stay on its back wheels for longer.

On 10/8/2023 at 9:53 AM, Ziddan said:

3ZshBvT.jpg

That looks nice, that's bit closer to the original and it looks less like a hodge-podge.

I can't really imagine the Brat wheels/tires being that much different than what Tamiya used, other than the bead lock setup.

7 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

wheels/tires being that much different than what Tamiya used

You mean the ones that were in this new Pajero kit?

I could try mounting them and taking a pic, i do expect their larger size will mean that at least the fronts will rub on the body tho.

7 hours ago, Ziddan said:

You mean the ones that were in this new Pajero kit?

Yup, the tread on both tires doesn't look drastically different from one another.

It does look good with the stock wheels in this lower configuration:

mY9QRZo.jpg

And here are sand blaster wheels for comparison:

aWPYYQU.jpg

• Like 3

Perhaps would the new Pajero tyres look good on a Brat, too?

16 hours ago, JimBear said:

new Pajero tyres look good on a Brat

Dont have one to try it but they very well might, it would sort of make a Mud Blaster Lite since the these wheels area bit larger.

• Like 1