Sign in to follow this  
Jason1145

Help please getting an old Wild Dagger running

I’ve just bought a childhood favourite of mine after 25 years from last owning a Wild Dagger, I loved this as one of my first RC trucks!

Could I please get some advice on a good twin motor ESC I can run this twin motor chassis on please?

Its come to me fitted with only a servo, which looks like it’s connected to a fully complete steering system which is a bonus and I can leave that alone for now.

What’s is a decent ESC to run for these twin motors please?

I’ll be leaving the two silver can motors in place and I’ll plan to run my 2s lipo batteries as I still have a few of those still working.

I’ve got a NIB 2.4ghz radio somewhere so it’s just an ESC for the electrics?

One other issue is it sits pretty low and the friction shocks sag under the weight of the truck, these measure 70mm eye to eye but when these are removed the drop from the mourning holes is 75mm - 77mm, would some cheap 75mm oil shocks be a better option to keep it lifted up for off road clearance?

Some photos for attention, I’m stoked to get this running again 🥳

IMG_2163.jpeg

IMG_2164.jpeg

IMG_2165.jpeg

IMG_2166.jpeg

• Like 3

My son has a Wild Dagger in the basement in new condition..  I built it and a few years later he bought it off me for super cheap partly as a gift.  It was driven maybe 15 times before the car went into storage.  .. He nor I  crashed so it has no scratches.  :D   

I searched Amazon for the speed controller I bought for him, but this was back 10+  years ago so it appears the history is gone.

I remember searching dual motor ESC with no drag brake.    Hope this helps..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice car!

WP-880 is what I use for my Clod and Juggernaut.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Willy iine said:

My son has a Wild Dagger in the basement in new condition..  I built it and a few years later he bought it off me for super cheap partly as a gift.  It was driven maybe 15 times before the car went into storage.  .. He nor I  crashed so it has no scratches.  :D   

I searched Amazon for the speed controller I bought for him, but this was back 10+  years ago so it appears the history is gone.

I remember searching dual motor ESC with no drag brake.    Hope this helps..

That must be a beauty hiding in storage, 15 runs was a pretty good effort though well done 👍

thanks pal I’m now looking into dual motor ESC’s, seems years ago my old Clod had a Quicrun 860 pushing silver cans along so I’ll hunt that out now.

14 hours ago, Ray_ve said:

Nice car!

WP-880 is what I use for my Clod and Juggernaut.

Ahh that rings a big bell!

just searching is this 880 a replacement for the Quicrun 860 as the 880 is much more readily available?

Are they plug n play once some battery connectors are soldered on?

8 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

I have 2, they worked straight from the box.

• Thanks 1

An 880 will be fine with silver cans, it is when you try to go hotter it gets complicated (expensive).

Modelsport link other vendors are available, as you will remember ;)

This is the most recent thread on these chassis. It starts with bump steer and moves into hop ups in general. Ignore my contributions!

Nice to see you back!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

An 880 will be fine with silver cans, it is when you try to go hotter it gets complicated (expensive).

Modelsport link other vendors are available, as you will remember ;)

This is the most recent thread on these chassis. It starts with bump steer and moves into hop ups in general. Ignore my contributions!

Nice to see you back!

Thank you pal I’ve ordered this 880 now and they even solder battery connectors which saves me getting into that for now 😂

I’ll read that thread with interest, paying close attention to your contributions… oh, no, wait! 👍

I’ve managed the last 4 years with my dwindling collection of 5-6 shelf queens not being touched and the odd run out with my Lunchbox, Team Associsted Rat Rod SC and a 2WD brushed Stampede… I was quite happy… didn’t think about the 40 Tamiyas I’d sold off……  or so I thought!

I knew I should’ve stayed away from this forum look how it’s hooked me back in 🤦‍♂️🔥

• Like 2

On 7/23/2023 at 10:46 AM, Jason1145 said:

Ahh that rings a big bell!

just searching is this 880 a replacement for the Quicrun 860 as the 880 is much more readily available?

They work fine out of the box but unlike the 860, you CAN use a programming card to further refine the settings. The default setup will work fine, though!

I used some of these on an HBX Bonzer, a TL-01B clone with the same suspension arms, wheels/tyres as the Wild Dagger. 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32759891545.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.1.56a4576enE5mKh&algo_pvid=9ba7ece0-f1c1-4fa5-b921-99064cb8cc1d&algo_exp_id=9ba7ece0-f1c1-4fa5-b921-99064cb8cc1d-0&pdp_npi=3%40dis!GBP!14.45!12.57!!!18.04!!%40214528be16902471447663934d07d7!62029268929!sea!UK!167127361&curPageLogUid=hNEpnNOqtGqu

Worked really well for cheapos, just needed to put some decent oil in (I think I used 1000cst)

• Thanks 1

My Hobbywing 880 ESC arrived mid week and I got to fit it this morning, works like a champ and was great to see the Dagger come to life around the front room.

It’s positively lively on a 2s lipo, squatting and diving with the very very soft alloy shocks I found in a bag, it drives just like how I remembered from back in the day., can’t wait to get it outside at some point and open her up.

I’ve yet to read that thread but will surely visit it if I want to change anything on the chassis later on, I’m not too into fine tuning too much but it’s nice to have the info stored there cheers.

Last question is what other body shells have people used to maintain their original Dagger shells, I don’t want to further damage  my stock shell.

I tried a Proline shell off my 2WD Stampede and it kind of works ( only placed it on top with the rear holes from Stampede used, but these are not in the right place).

I gather there are no reproduction Wild Dagger shells around anymore 🥲

IMG_2437.jpeg

IMG_2436.jpeg

IMG_2438.jpeg

IMG_2440.jpeg

If you want to keep it Tamiya, how about a Brat / Mud Blaster shell?

Or the Rock Socker shell if you can get one?

Almost anything with a 280ish wheelbase should fit. Pretty sure someone (Mr Crispy?) had a Dukes Of Hazard WT-01.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

If you want to keep it Tamiya, how about a Brat / Mud Blaster shell?

Or the Rock Socker shell if you can get one?

Almost anything with a 280ish wheelbase should fit. Pretty sure someone (Mr Crispy?) had a Dukes Of Hazard WT-01.

Thanks for the idea I’m looking at them now… took it down the park and yep rolled it a bit so sooner rather than later is best 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

Ok chaps any recommendations on the best motors to make this thing a bit faster top end?

Twin silver cans with 20t pinion ( only other option is 18t) and 2s lipo is too slow.

Ive got a QuicRun 880 ESC so I need to stay with brushed motors, what’s a good upgrade please?

4 hours ago, Twinfan said:

I think you'll need motors compatible with forward and reverse rotation?  If so, I think Holmes Hobbies make a few options:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/search/electric-motors?&sort=Relevance&search=holmes+hobbies+retro

Thanks for the link, I’m not sure what the rotation part you mentioned is about, I know the motors have to be the same as each other but they are mounted opposite, so the gearboxes are reversed from each other, so they both drive the wheels in the same direction.

I’ve  currently got two stock silver can 540 motors so I’d presume any brushed motor will work as long as they are the same turn rating?

(I’d like a guide to how fast these go on stock 27-Turn motors, and then how fast they can go on say, 20-turn motors etc?)

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but given that the motors are mounted on opposite sides of the chassis they run in opposite directions (clockwise and anti-clockwise) in order for them to turn the gearbox the same way.  So if you're replacing motors you need a pair with no advanced timing so that they can run equally in either direction.

Silver cans can do this, as can the Holmes Hobbies motors.  Others, such as the Tamiya Sport Tuned, can not as they have timing added to them to increase their power and speed.  So no, you can't just use two brushed motors.  In fact, your choice is going to be quite limited.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Twinfan said:

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but given that the motors are mounted on opposite sides of the chassis they run in opposite directions (clockwise and anti-clockwise) in order for them to turn the gearbox the same way.  So if you're replacing motors you need a pair with no advanced timing so that they can run equally in either direction.

Silver cans can do this, as can the Holmes Hobbies motors.  Others, such as the Tamiya Sport Tuned, can not as they have timing added to them to increase their power and speed.  So no, you can't just use two brushed motors.  In fact, your choice is going to be quite limited.

Yup, just like the timing for the Clod, needs to be zero for best results. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Twinfan said:

Ahh zero timed, thank you pal!

Bummer lol, but it’s very handy you replied and stopped me just buying some random brushed motors without checking first 😂

Hopefully someone has upgraded their Dagger and can point me to some examples

• Like 1

Just a warning, the turn limit in the Hobbywing table for the 880 is for one motor.

Double it when you are using two.

I ran into overhearing issues recently using two Firebolts on Nimh.

I think 3S is the way forward :D.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Just a warning, the turn limit in the Hobbywing table for the 880 is for one motor.

Double it when you are using two.

I ran into overhearing issues recently using two Firebolts on Nimh.

I think 3S is the way forward :D.

Good spot!

Yes I think 3s will be worth a try then 😂

Applications

• Motors: Brushed Motor(540/550/775 size motors)
  • Vehicles: Various 1/10th & 1/8th Vehicles

KV Rating/T Count for single motor use, double when using two motors. 

Brushed Motor Limit with 2S LiPo/6S NiMH: =12T or RPM<30000@7.4V (540/550 size motors)
Brushed Motor Limit with 3S LiPo/9S NiMH: =18T or RPM<20000@7.4V (540/550 size motors)
Brushed Motor Limit with 4S LiPo/12S NiMH: =24T or RPM<15000@7.4V (540/550 size motors)

When Driving 2 Motors Simultaneously the Turns/T Count of the Motor Must Be Increased Accordingly.

• Like 2

I can confirm, 3S with 540’s via the HW880 works well on my Twin Detonator 👍

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, J@mes said:

Are they regular silver cans or anything hotter? Wondering where to go with ours next too. My Dual Hunter came with some Hackmoto motors I was thinking of dropping back in now I am solder capable (ish).

• Like 1

@Badcrumble standard silver cans, it’s my 7 year old sons runner & 3S is plenty for park bashing, 2S feels slow now in a big open space.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, J@mes said:

Which 3s lipo are you using mate?

On 8/11/2023 at 5:09 PM, Jason1145 said:

Which 3s lipo are you using mate?

53114063344_d583735641_b.jpg

nothing fancy

• Thanks 2