Gebbly

Your most enjoyable builds?

1 hour ago, Gebbly said:

It does sound like it could be quite rewarding. Using old woodworking tools I have restored is much more satisfying than using new ones. But as @Kowalski86 mentions I'd be worried about hairline cracks and brittle plastic. If RC kits were mostly metal that could be restored I would be much more inclined to try a restoration.

Sadly I dont think I'd be able to find an original boxed Hotshot kit and I would worry too much about a resto because of the potential failing plastics. 

I've had good luck with restoring solid axle Tamiyas (they're very basic), and my Frog (white plastic doesn't absorb UV light as much, and it has its share of metal).

My Monster Beetle attempt was miserable, those are very plastic and prone to disintegrating if not kept somewhere nice. Old Hotshot’s snap A-arms just sitting on the shelf. There is always the Blockhead Hotshot if you want  to try building a new one.

• Like 1

@Gebbly the turbo optima is 100% all airbrushed the only decals are the Kyosho decals on the sides 

6116.jpeg

6117.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rinskie said:

Oh man alive that looks incredible. I have always loved the Turbo. I had a Turbo Ultima at the time but always wanted the Turbo Optima. Looks like super fun ride. 

I bought it because when it was originally re-released because I always wanted one ever since I seen one back in the original days at my local school hall club but it was way out of my price range and I loved the paint scheme the guy had done on it which was said flames so this one had to be done that way! 
as for using it I had every intention to use it and took it to my local outdoor track together with my then racing buggy (Schumacher cat k1 aero) I put it on the track looked at now stunning it looked couldn’t bring myself to actually move it:unsure: took it off the track and that was that!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

The Hotshot rerelease is available down here still

They've rereleased the Hotshot?! Darn it my RC fleet wish list just keeps getting longer.

44 minutes ago, moffman said:

the turbo optima is 100% all airbrushed

WOW! just....wow. Amazing artwork.

30 minutes ago, moffman said:

couldn’t bring myself to actually move it

Its times like these that every car has to have a shelf body and a runner body. I would imagine the problem is every time we do a body we want to make it as good as we can so we would end up with a whole load of display only bodies.

• Like 1

1. My original TB01 in 2000 that I built with my Dad.

2. My Ultimate TB01 build.

3. My TB02 Build.

Worst build. TB Evo 4. Started off ok. Pretty much hated it by the end.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

1. My original TB01 in 2000 that I built with my Dad.

2. My Ultimate TB01 build.

3. My TB02 Build.

Worst build. TB Evo 4. Started off ok. Pretty much hated it by the end.

That's a surprise Dave!

I probably enjoyed the Evo IV the most.

Best for me must be the TA03 F

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have enjoyed all the tamiya kits i have built so far but the bigwig would be my most enjoyable.The rack and pinion steering set up is not on any other tamiya kit and the body is unlike any other as it was designed by a japanese racing car designer.It is also the only 4wd kit that i have built so far.The bigwig is discontinued now but if you can get one go for it you wont regret it.

• Like 2

I found the CR01 to be a very enjoyable build - it was probably the most complex Tamiya kit I've done and I dragged it out a bit as I didnt really want to finish it. I would imagine only the tank and truck kits are more complex.

My all time fave was the TRF201XR though, it's 2WD, off road, and the motor hangs out the back - everything you want in a buggy :D 

• Like 2