JimBear

Your crazy project (done or dreaming of)

My idea wasn't as crazy or spectacular like the ones I see in this post but it was just me having a huge love for the Tamiya King Cab but could not find one or afford one at the time so I turned one of my Tyco Bandits into one. I installed 3800kv brushless motor, servo, head light and tail lights and called it the King Bandit lol

Screenshot_20230111_220543_Camera360.jpg

Screenshot_20230108_141341_Camera360.jpg

Screenshot_20230108_141446_Camera360.jpg

Screenshot_20230111_222111_Camera360.jpg

Screenshot_20230111_223729_Camera360.jpg

Screenshot_20230115_144712_Camera360.jpg

Screenshot_20230218_000145_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20230218_004821_Camera360.jpg

Screenshot_20230219_173456_Camera360.jpg

• Like 3

Looked into doing an , Icelandic Off-Road.

Needed to be 4wd, and be able to take buckets of power/rpm (slipper etc) ,to at least be able to hydroplane across a pond....

Was originally going to use my Dark Impact, but parts where getting thin on the ground. 

One I'm waiting to finish, is the Orange Blossom pulling truck! 

Photobucket doing its thing though 😔

The body was sent down to Kamtec, for a bit of reworking... ,but 3 years later, still not got it back.

• Like 2

On 8/12/2023 at 9:26 PM, Ghostpig said:

1/8 scale F1 racer from the 60's. My own design with realistic suspension.

LaXOeo4.jpg

M2aEumc.jpg

Xray XB2 made to look like the Team Associated RC10B2.

hAgBuV1.jpg

RJJgbKi.jpg

Wow good Job. Both awesome, the 312 and the "b2". Paintjob is a great Twist on the kinwald Theme, looks epic. Congrats !

• Like 3

Have to say this 

Was quite a crazy project, too, at least regarding escalating expenditures

a_01bkevf.jpg

a_05tzfif.jpg

d_01tsi81.jpg

Edited by GermanTA03Guy
  • Like 8

17 minutes ago, GermanTA03Guy said:

Wow good Job. Both awesome, the 312 and the "b2". Paintjob is a great Twist on the kinwald Theme, looks epic. Congrats !

Thanks! I wanted a Kinwald theme but with the TRF/Marc Rheinard colours. A friend painted it, I couldn't have done that clean job.

15 minutes ago, Ghostpig said:

Thanks! I wanted a Kinwald theme but with the TRF/Marc Rheinard colours. A friend painted it, I couldn't have done that clean 

Thats interesting as i didnt recognise that. To me the color combo had a 90s losi vibe to me - so buggy-wise the best of both worlds from the golden era.

So far I’ve built two entrants for the Mario Kart x Tamiya series 😂

The first was based on a shortened Hornet chassis:

52636174491_e1013190ba_b.jpg

The second is an SW01 ride for Donkey Kong (still needs finishing)

52700401258_215cc5fe10_b.jpg

I think the third might be a customised Kong Head for Toad:

52872293485_9623f6609d_b.jpg

• Like 8

I have done mine, and it was Ultra G, my Grasshopper 2 that actually runs nice! 

20230715_111621

Was my first project that involved hacking various bits together, and definitely a bit of a "what if I could get the Thundershot trans to mount to the gh2 tub?" rather than some big detailed plan. The fact it turned out better than I could ever expect was just the icing on the cake. Love this thing. 

• Like 6

A Slashkin or Pumpslash, IMG_0134.jpg
IMG_0135.jpg
IMG_0136.jpg
IMG_0137.jpgwhichever you prefer. Ford F100 pre runner. Mid engined, 4wd.

• Like 8

My Kenworth K100 day cab with pup trailers.  heavily modified Globe Liner and scratch built trailers.estes_pup.thumb.jpg.4a2245ff4b84601bb1a53212c00b6777.jpg

• Like 11

received_791337402404129.thumb.jpeg.aa50d63329c46fe61a02b08be4e7f21d.jpeg

My long term crazy project - a mid motored MF-01 - is nearly finished. Now I'm figuring out how to make it work as a rally car 😀

Next project? Remember FF-02? Well, I'm thinking about FF-05 😁

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Busdriver said:

A Slashkin or Pumpslash,
IMG_0137.jpgwhichever you prefer. Ford F100 pre runner. Mid engined, 4wd.

I assume the spare tires are for the occasional street race? ;)

28 minutes ago, JimBear said:

I assume the spare tires are for the occasional street race? ;)

What you do is drive cross country to the local drag track and off you go. It is a slash underneath, the basis of many no prep drag racers!!!

• Haha 2

I remembered this topic, when I was working a new project. Crazy ideas keep coming. This is the latest one 😀

Resize_20231204_131232_2373.jpg

• Like 2

Only just seen this thread. There are not enough like buttons! 

For me, current one is to test out whether I'm capable of designing and building a buggy with 3d design for 3d printing, some CF sheet fabrication and a few donor parts. It's looking moderately promising so far! 

I'm all about the crazy ideas over the straight kit builds but mine are nowhere near as crazy or impressive as many in this thread (making a good buggy Falcon out of a Blitzer and some other mods; making a BBX wider without significantly altering it's appearance). But having made my Super Falcon I think a future project will be its evil grandson from the future, the Mega Falcon. It will bear significantly less resemblance to the original than even my Super Falcon does. 

• Like 2

On 8/11/2023 at 6:17 PM, Rinskie said:

Something powered by live steam, maybe with tracks but definitely motivated by steam. Something inspired by old trains, like a scratch built HOn3 wooden cab with a flat bed. 

https://www.enginediy.com/products/1-10-rc-rear-drive-steam-vehicle-model-kit-mini-v4-steam-engine-with-gearbox-and-boiler?currency=USD&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&stkn=32e4e3a5cc67&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAjrarBhAWEiwA2qWdCErOOYZYtR8WMOS1N9tbQu1cwUWVxrZtbsm8FQrofywtWAqYk0xRmBoCbUoQAvD_BwE

I have tried several iterations of my projest. I wanted to build a Hornet with decent suspension adapted to it that you could race against more modern buggies if you wanted to.

To learn how to do 3D modelling I grabbed one of my buggies, an RB5 to be the donor. It wasn't too far from the then current TRF201. That helped and I tried out a few ideas on the computer, went back to it from time to time, then shelved it, then got back to it ad nauseum.
My latest version is in a build thread in here. I used TRF201 XM parts. I got most of it done, but needed a decent steering system and I couldn't figure out how to get the front suspension geometry correct. Kept getting bump steer.
I'm currently thinking of getting it to use more realistic parts like DT-03. Cheap and plentiful, of which TRF parts are neither these days.

On 8/12/2023 at 8:26 PM, Ghostpig said:

I have done some crazy or different builds and I have some in progress and some in my dreams.

What I have done first.

Tube chassis Lunchbox/Rollin' Thunder. This was inspired by an image of a leaf spring chassis Lunchbox I saw here.

bEL7EPS.jpg

FUluWhr.jpg

Old school monster truck with 4 wheel wire steering and dual torque tuned motors. 

0zOPeHA.jpg

N5sN9Wp.jpg

tQqvWeh.jpg

1/24 scale monster truck. Did this before the 1/24 scale was cool. Inspired by the RcWizzard from YT. Started out as a plastic model kit.

K0253ar.jpg

ScL2rW1.jpg

Steel chassis trophy truck.

TcXCdt2.jpg

1/8 scale F1 racer from the 60's. My own design with realistic suspension.

LaXOeo4.jpg

M2aEumc.jpg

Xray XB2 made to look like the Team Associated RC10B2.

hAgBuV1.jpg

RJJgbKi.jpg

And what I have in progress.

Toyota 2000GT with realistic cahssis and suspension in 1/8 scale.

mBM6NSn.jpg

vlVIXbf.jpg

And Nissan Skyline or the KPGC10 Hakosuka. This is also with realistic chassis and suspension but in 1/10 scale.

1lS0eDy.jpg

bPe407l.jpg

What I'm dreaming of is building more cars with realistic chassis and suspension, like F1 car from the 50's and maybe 90's in 1/8 scale, Ferrari 250GTO, a rally car like the Lancia Delta, a proper tube chassis monster truck and a half track like FAMO.

This is awesome and so much beyond me I'm in awe. Bravo.

• Like 1

I'm so far behind!

My most radical stuff is in my Gallery but I'll give you my Sledgehammer here.... Looks like the gauntlet has been laid down and winter in Canada is the time to build.

extra 007.jpg

• Like 2

Just recently, my ideas have been coming in thick and fast.  Way too fast than I can grab them, and far more of them than I have money or time to complete them.

A few weeks back, it was a survival-style touring car on a rally-capable chassis.  I'm thinking older musclecar body, but with a roof box and spotlamps, mesh, stuff stuck all over it.  Somewhere between one of those cheap car rallies and Mad Max, but both styles have become so cliché it would be hard to do either, or even a mix in between, without it looking like a poor take on someone else's idea.  Plus, what the heck would I do with it?  I don't have space for more shelf cars, I don't need or want more shelf cars, I've got nowhere to run rally cars.  So, I let that one pass by.

Then during a clearout last month I found a perfectly good (and unused) Boom Racing Jeep hardbody, and some old Maverick axles.  I just need to knock up a basic chassis and I've got another scaler.  Yet, I don't need another scaler - I've got too many.  But the body wouldn't work for me on a monster truck (and I've got too many monster trucks).  So, I thought WW2 wheels and make it a mud bog truck.  This idea gripped me and stuck with me for almost 2 weeks as I tried to put it off and put it off because I've got way too much other stuff to do.

Then it's a custom-chassis Bear Hawk using Blitzer parts as a donor.  It's got to keep Blitzer arms and transmission to be class-legal at Revival (which is why I want to do it), but I can make my own chassis plate and use steering cranks from a similar-vintage car.  This is most likely something I'll do next year, but I'm trying hard to resist the urge to buy that NIB Blitzer right now to "make sure I'm ready".

This idea too has taken a back-seat over the last 5 days because now I want to build a dedicated walking truck.  Chassis rails and transmission from Aliexpress, all the rest of the parts I already have.  It'll be faster than my scale crawlers and have various hike-ready features, like powerful spotlamps for night walking and quick-change or parallel battery installs for extended runtime.  If I built this truck, it would probably get more stuck time than any other car in my fleet - I walk for 3 hours a week, most of my cars don't get 10 minutes in a month.  But I'm trying to resist the urge, because next week it'll be something else.

Somethin' gotta give!

• Like 1

@Mad Ax - I hope you are talking about stick time and not "stuck time" - who wants to get stuck in a bog in the middle of an evening, freezing precious parts off? :D

12 minutes ago, JimBear said:

@Mad Ax - I hope you are talking about stick time and not "stuck time" - who wants to get stuck in a bog in the middle of an evening, freezing precious parts off? :D

indeed - stick time is exactly what I meant :D although I do sometimes get stuck in the bog in the middle of a freezing evening.  In fact only 5 days ago I got my BOM stuck in the mud and had to keep moving backwards and forwards until it came out*

*this is absolutely true and is not in any way mean to be a double entendre

• Haha 1