Sogogi

GF-02?!

Good point about the wheelbase @Nikko85.

This is Dual Hunter wheels and  tyres on a 210mm chassis. 200mm could be a bit tight 

PXL_20230520_190911646.jpg[/url]

• Like 2

News alert: Toy company makes toy in absolute shocker!

More to follow on this story, also coming up-

• The sky is blue!
  • The pope is catholic!
  • Bears do **** in the woods!

Please stand by!

C'mon guys. Tamiya might be a leader in R/C cars but they aren't about to jump on the fly-by-night scale R/C stuff, they're about longevity and creating products with some lifespan to them, with good quality, fit and finish. They just so happen to have made some nice carbon and aluminium TRF cars in the past, but that is like referencing Ford for having only ever created the GT40. They make all sorts of other stuff, too. The carbon stuff, the super-scale RTR models you're seeing out of China, etcetera, that's not Tamiya, which is why you won't see that coming out in the next announcement. Nothing is stopping you from buying other brands like FMS, RC4WD, even Traxxas - likewise Tamiya has no obligation to try and "keep" you if you feel you have outgrown their product offerings. There is and always will be a huge market for Tamiya stuff.

Usually you have to be a bit nuts. But the Avante called it...

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Nikko85 said:

Edit: Assuming those are Blackfoot tires I get a wheelbase of 260 mm approx.

Darn close @260mm :-) According to Vestergaardgroup the wheelbase is 267mm.

• Like 1

This is EXACTLY what Tamiya was missing!

From customer standpoint:

My daughter wants a fast big tire vehicule that can climb small hills, but finds...

Traxxas vehicules to be aesthetically unappealing, and loves the looks of Tamiya kits.

Likes the Monster Beetle, but 2wd and fragile transmission are a turn off for me.

From a design standpoint:

Being a mechanical designer  heres my take on the transmission design

Even tho there is alot of gears, they're all straigth toothed, so no side loading like bevel gears.(common with shaft)

So maybe a theres little more friction vs a bevel gear/shaft setup. (bevel gears do generate more side load so have a little more friction)

What you get in return is a bulletproof transmission and less risk of bevel gears skipping.(think TT02B)

Bravo Tamiya!

• Like 3

From Modelsport (UK)

Modelsport Squash Van

Tamiya is delighted to announce a new off-road car featuring big tires; the name is the Squash Van, and it is paired with a new gear-driven 4WD GF-02 chassis.

While the GF-01 chassis features a comical design, the GF[1]02 chassis employs a more realistic wheelbase and a frame with ladder / pipe motifs. This R/C assembly kit is inspired by 1950s American panel vans, and offers an excellent drive even on grass or uneven surfaces.

About the Model

• This is a 1/10 scale R/C model assembly kit. Length: 454mm, width: 280mm, height: 238mm. Wheelbase: 267mm.
  • 123mm large-diameter lug pattern tires allow powerful performance and superior handling feel.
  • Stickers feature designs such as squash illustrations, product logo, and triple pin stripes in gold, black and blue.
  • ESC & Type 540 Motor Included

About the GF-02 chassis 
The gear-driven 4WD GF-02 chassis features its motor in a low, central position in the lightweight, durable monocoque frame, and transmits power to front and rear via gears. The long wheelbase and wide tread setup ensures stable off-road performance. The slim frame features ladder/pipe motifs and features integrated sealed gearboxes which help keep stones out.

Front and rear gear differentials allow smooth cornering, while separately sold pinion gears offer a choice from three types of gear ratios, and a motor guard enhances reliability off-road. The 4-wheel double wishbone suspension employs four friction dampers, and the steering servo is positioned on the left with identical-length tie-rods

Wheelbase 
same length as the long CC-02 wheelbase chassis same body mount positions as the long CC-02 wheelbase chassis

Tread
F : 223mm / R: 221mm 

Tyres
As Blackfoot [58633] 122.8mm diameter

Gear ratio
18T (18.03:1), 20T (16.23:1), 17T (19.09:1)
20T and 17T pinion gears are sold separately

Motor Guard included
Lower servo mount to enhance attachment durability and lower more central motor position for improved balance and weight distribution.

• Like 3

« Nothing is stopping you from buyingother brands like FMS, RC4WD, even Traxxas - likewise»

Blasphemer!!

• Haha 4

Only thing with that chassis design is disassembling the whole chassis to access gear.. but as mentioned above, all straight gears make it stronger and quieter. I love it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GreatDane said:

Darn close @260mm :-) According to Vestergaardgroup the wheelbase is 267mm.

:D

I measured by drawing lines on a ppt blow up of a tiny image, so I'm happy with my 97% accuracy!

This is what quite a few people have asked for, a bashable tough Tamiya which can take a brushless motor, as a range of pinions and won't wheelie forever like the GF01 (there is no wheelie bar) with polycarbonate bodies. 

• Like 5

If I didn't have so many WT-01s, I would have one. As it is, I might get a bodyset :D

Most likely one for my list of Big Wheels to get. Not fully sure of the body, but a new chassis might bring other models (body variants) down the road.

• Like 1

I'm digging it. Actually surprised to see the luke war response. Looks fun and I'm curious about the new chassis. 

• Like 1

At first I thought it was another comical but the larger wheelbase makes me really happy. Well done Tamiya!

And the same wheelbase and body mounting positions as the long CC-02 might give us some alternative body choices?

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

Any particular recent experiences? I've been looking at other brands myself, partly for something with better materials.

Yes a few:

- Two Wild Willies. Both cracked at where the top of the front dampers mount. And, I wasn't using those horrible self tapping bolts. They were both 5mm balls that the dampers fastened to. One broke whilst driving, and the other was just sat on the shelf and that one split also.

- Super Hotshot. Both upper front arms cracked around the ball joints on the end. This had a fair bit of light (read; respectable) use.

- Bullhead. Chassis cracked both sides where the battery retainer clips in. Again, a fair amount of use.

- Wild One Re re. Had two chassis crack on this one. Both times where the rear trailing arm bracket screws to the chassis. Ended up selling it.

- Frog Re re. Chassis cracked at where one of the dampers mounts, and both trailing arms cracked where the other end of the damper mounts.

Having said all that, I'm a very particular builder and really take my time so I don't think I can say that any of the above was down to me being ham-fisted or anything.

Now, I really like the Squash Van and would be very tempted to get one. But, If the plastics are the usual peanut brittle stuff then I'll pass. I've driven my M-07, XV-02 and TD-2 loads and so far no issues with any cracks etc. Here's hoping....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I like this. Definitely feels like a nice addition to the range, with a wheelbase that should work with some cool bodies. Really hope a Blackfoot looks good on this. Could be tempted. Also wouldn't worry about the single motor and all the gears. G601 is longer and more gears. 

• Like 1

I could see someone putting this body on a slammed down chassis drag car style.  Hope they sell that as a body kit only

• Like 2

I think this release is an excellent idea!

This wheelbase will fit any 267mm body (they even mention the body mounts are the same as the CC02) so the range of options is fantastic!

FJ Cruiser GF02? Yes please. Toyota Hilux? That'd be cool... Just Google 267mm wheelbase RC body.

Nice of them to announce this just days after I finish my GF01.

• Like 2

Well, after getting the CC02, TD4, TD2 and BBX all in better plastic, I'm not going to fault Tamiya for not going with high-end plastic for this purely leisure vehicle. Much Like the Konghead evokes the old Bullhead, this Squash Van harkens back to the Midnight Pumpkin, a name I thought was weird at first in the 80's but I soon grew familiar with. I like it for what is.

• Like 2

The chassis isn't my thing but oh boy that body :wub:

I was hoping it was a hard body but looking at the front bumper and front window on the picture on the box it probably is lexan. For me a bit of a bummer but no real turnoff. 

3 hours ago, toyolien said:

Now, I really like the Squash Van and would be very tempted to get one. But, If the plastics are the usual peanut brittle stuff then I'll pass. I've driven my M-07, XV-02 and TD-2 loads and so far no issues with any cracks etc. 

I hate to say it but the GF01 is ABS, it'll probably be the same for the GF02 as well.

I completely hear you on your aversion to ABS plastic, one of the low points for me in the hobby was when I picked up a vintage Monster Beetle. Really fun model, but it broke anytime that I ran it. Trailing arms, rear guard, servo saver, etc.

Thus, I've been looking at other brands currently who provide more value, don't use a dozen spacers that I'll loose, and use better plastic.

5 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

Thus, I've been looking at other brands currently who provide more value, don't use a dozen spacers that I'll loose, and use better plastic.

That's one answer, however, I really like Tamiya. I like their box art, they don't bring out a new revision of a kit ever year or so, and they don't follow anyone else's trends etc.

So, my answer was to stick to Tamiya's kits that use modern plastics. I'm most certainly not a collector so it suits me just to have a few different cars to run.

• Like 3

I would love to spend $$ on reinforced plastic hopup options like they do for tt-02/b stuff. (Affordable basic kit, option to buy better parts if wanted).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lsear2905 said:

I think this release is an excellent idea!

This wheelbase will fit any 267mm body (they even mention the body mounts are the same as the CC02) so the range of options is fantastic!

FJ Cruiser GF02? Yes please. Toyota Hilux? That'd be cool... Just Google 267mm wheelbase RC body.

Nice of them to announce this just days after I finish my GF01.

I think I own 4 or 5 GF01s! 

The GF-02 looks interesting and I'm sure I will get one at some stage but I actually like the overall footprint of the GF-01 regardless of what scale body I am pairing the chassis with.

• Like 2

I reckon this body, on a GF02 chassis with some monster truck wheels, would look the business!

top.jpg

• Like 4