Beena

A bit disappointed with speed and handling of TT-02R

I have a TT-02 Type-S that enjoy very much. I have the Yeah Racing motor mount installed, as well as a 22 or 23T pinion, with a 68T spur. My 13.5T Surpass Hobby Rocket V5R gets top speeds of around 45mph with this setup? Maybe try LiPo batteries, or a different motor?

Cheers!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Beena said:

It looks like I am heading down the LiPO route.  I have managed to convince my wife (and myself) that by keeping them in a LiPO pouch in a Bat Safe in the garage we are not going to all burn to death.  It helped that I told her my Mavic Air has 3S batteries in it and they were just under the sofa for ages.

So - recommendations for batteries and chargers that are affordable…..go for it.

Also would appreciate some affordable brushless motor/ESC recommendations that will get me up to 60mph  once I‘ve sorted the handling out.

LiPo FTW!  ;)

I've had good luck with Gens Ace & Power Hobby LiPo's in recent years.  Used to run a lot of MaxAmps & some Venom stuff.  Part of what you get will depend on where you are (I'm sure popular brands in the UK are different than in North America), what your budget is, and what spec's you are after.  Size and weight of LiPo's can vary a lot, so make sure you know what you are putting where before clicking the buy button.

Brushless stuff will be a can of worms, and will largely be dependent on $$$ and expectations.  I have had good luck with Tekin and Castle Creations previously, but now seem to be running more and more Hobby Wing stuff as it seems to be a nice balance of performance and cost.  I'll use Tamiya motors once and a while, but generally only if there is a reason (space constraints for solder tabs in a TD2/4 as an example) as they tend to be more money and lower performance than a lot of what is out there.  I'd sooner run a good ESC and a cheapo motor than the other way around.  There are lots of "decent" off brand motors out there that work quite well if you're just goofing around (read, not racing).

16 minutes ago, one_hit said:

@Beena nice! You will surely have a blast with lipo :D For chargers I would recommend getting something with a balance current of 1.5A and up like the SkyRC D200neo or Hota D6 Pro. They aren’t the cheapest but they are good chargers that should serve you for many years. They are also dual chargers so you can charge two batteries simultaneously even if the battery chemistry is different 

I have a SkyRC charger as well (T1000), and it has been pretty good.  To be honest I liked the programmable memory of my old Hyperion charger more, but what can you do?  Dual charging ability is nice, but NOT required. 

7 minutes ago, Beena said:

You and I have a very different definition of the word affordable 🤣

And therein lies the issue with asking for advice without setting boundaries.... ha ha ha!

All joking aside, figure out what you want to spend (and also what you are willing to spend), what charging requirements you have, and then look around and see what fits the bill.

I recently upgraded from my old Hyperion charger (which was expensive at the time, but worth every cent), and my list personally looked like this:

Need:
-Ability to charge NiMh, LiPo, & LiFe
-Ability to do a storage charge/discharge

Want:
-Ability to charge LiHV
-Dual charge capability
-Programmable battery memory
-AC/DC power options
-Price under $200cad

High charge/discharge rates weren't of much importance to me (I don't race anymore, so I usually just use a 1C rate), but often are a sell point of chargers.

In the end I landed on the SkyRC T1000, which was notably more money than I wanted to spend.  It had everything I needed, and wanted (aside from programmable battery memory), had a good reputation, and seemed like a solid choice.  Alternately there were other chargers that were a bit cheaper, but didn't check off as many items for me.  So in the end, I saved up some extra $$$ over a month or two, and picked it up.  I've only been using it for a few months now, but so far it's been working well (though I do need to figure out a balance lead extension so I can get my LiPo's back into a charging sack...).

• Thanks 1

@bRIBEGuy nice, we have the same charger, I have a T1000 Maestro as well. I have other chargers with programmable memory but I never used that feature so I’m not really missing out. 

The D200neo is what I would recommend because it has the screen and 1.5A balance current of the T1000. My D100 and T200 have low balance currents and take significantly more time to charge my pack with a cell imbalance compared to my T1000. For the price it’s really a good value and I wish it had been released when I bought the T200

spacer.png

• Like 3

Lol. I find it funny that my LiPo charger is a cheapo eBay SkyRC IMAXB6 that performs BETTER than my buddy's real thing. I plug into mine and it ALWAYS shows the proper voltage and is perfectly balanced. Sometimes my friend plugs his "misbehaving" unbalanced pack into my charger, and it balances perfectly and with zero issues. I only one or two slightly swollen soft packs, but that's because I overdischarged them as others have mentioned. It's better to get a cheapo charger off of ebay than off of Amazon- a friend of mine bought a single and dual charger off of there that absolutely BOMBS! It doesn't hold a constant charge amperage, cells "magically" jump 2 Volts at random, etc. Terrible piece of crap that is.

But maybe it's worth purchasing a "pro" balance charger, such as some of the ones you all own? Sorry for retailing the thread... :P

Also, I just wanted to mention that my go-to LiPO brand is Floureon, though it seems as if they've gone out of business sadly... they're amazing packs, never had any issues with them unlike **cough** Zeee **cough** which spontaneously combusted in my Hotshot!!

Gens Ace, Reedy, and Zippy are decent brands, though I believe Zippy also went under... if you're interested, you could be the proud new owner of some of my Floureons...

• Like 1

@RC_FunLand Nothing wrong with the cheap B6 clones, but let’s not kid ourselves, with only 300ma balance current, it will take ages for it to balance my imbalanced pack. I know this because aside from the SkyRC D100, T200 and T1000, I have a couple of cheap B6 clones as well. 

1 hour ago, RC_FunLand said:

22 or 23T pinion, with a 68T spur. My 13.5T Surpass Hobby Rocket V5R gets top speeds of around 45mph with this setup

How much boost and turbo you put into the ESC and do you use 3S to get that speed? According to my calculator, that setup will only achieve around 28mph on 2S and 42mph on 3S.

10 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

How much boost and turbo you put into the ESC and do you use 3S to get that speed? According to my calculator, that setup will only achieve around 28mph on 2S and 42mph on 3S.

In regards to "boost" and "turbo", I don't believe I modified any settings. I have a HW 10BL120, and yes, I'm running 3S.

2 hours ago, bRIBEGuy said:

LiPo FTW!  ;)

I've had good luck with Gens Ace & Power Hobby LiPo's in recent years.  Used to run a lot of MaxAmps & some Venom stuff.  Part of what you get will depend on where you are (I'm sure popular brands in the UK are different than in North America), what your budget is, and what spec's you are after.  Size and weight of LiPo's can vary a lot, so make sure you know what you are putting where before clicking the buy button.

Brushless stuff will be a can of worms, and will largely be dependent on $$$ and expectations.  I have had good luck with Tekin and Castle Creations previously, but now seem to be running more and more Hobby Wing stuff as it seems to be a nice balance of performance and cost.  I'll use Tamiya motors once and a while, but generally only if there is a reason (space constraints for solder tabs in a TD2/4 as an example) as they tend to be more money and lower performance than a lot of what is out there.  I'd sooner run a good ESC and a cheapo motor than the other way around.  There are lots of "decent" off brand motors out there that work quite well if you're just goofing around (read, not racing).

I have a SkyRC charger as well (T1000), and it has been pretty good.  To be honest I liked the programmable memory of my old Hyperion charger more, but what can you do?  Dual charging ability is nice, but NOT required. 

And therein lies the issue with asking for advice without setting boundaries.... ha ha ha!

All joking aside, figure out what you want to spend (and also what you are willing to spend), what charging requirements you have, and then look around and see what fits the bill.

I recently upgraded from my old Hyperion charger (which was expensive at the time, but worth every cent), and my list personally looked like this:

Need:
-Ability to charge NiMh, LiPo, & LiFe
-Ability to do a storage charge/discharge

Want:
-Ability to charge LiHV
-Dual charge capability
-Programmable battery memory
-AC/DC power options
-Price under $200cad

High charge/discharge rates weren't of much importance to me (I don't race anymore, so I usually just use a 1C rate), but often are a sell point of chargers.

In the end I landed on the SkyRC T1000, which was notably more money than I wanted to spend.  It had everything I needed, and wanted (aside from programmable battery memory), had a good reputation, and seemed like a solid choice.  Alternately there were other chargers that were a bit cheaper, but didn't check off as many items for me.  So in the end, I saved up some extra $$$ over a month or two, and picked it up.  I've only been using it for a few months now, but so far it's been working well (though I do need to figure out a balance lead extension so I can get my LiPo's back into a charging sack...).

Some great info there fella.  Thank you 🙏🏻 

• Like 1

Confession time:

Remember how I said that it handled like a bag of poo and I couldn’t keep it in a straight line for any length of time in order to put the power down?  Well……I put my BZ motor and Hobbywing ESC form my TT-02BR in it and fitted my new rally tyres that arrived today.  “This will be it!” I confidently thought.  I took it outside and it immediately danced around the road like a new born fawn on a frozen pond.  Nothing had improved.  I took it back home and sat staring at it whilst wondering what to do next……then I noticed something……toe-out on the rear wheels…….”You don’t have toe-out on the rear wheels!” I cautiously muttered to myself.  That’s when I realised that I must have put the rear uprights on the wrong sides 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

Sure enough I swapped them over and tried again and it went straight as an arrow and recorded this speed before I had to abandon my run because of a car and go back inside.

My battery wasn’t fully charged and I wasn’t on full throttle for long so maybe I could squeeze another mph out of it, but that’s more what I was expecting. 

So a newbie error there on my part.  It’s good to make these mistakes I think as it makes you problem solve and figure out how your car actually works.  

But yeah…..I’m an idiot! 🤣

IMG_2929.png

Edit: Looking back at pictures from my build it looks like I did put them on the right way initially but when I flipped them to increase the ride height I should have swapped sides and I didn’t.  I feel a tiny bit less stupid now…..only a tiny bit mind…

• Like 3

FWIW I got 31mph with a 1060 ESC, RZ Brushed Motor and a 2S Lipo with my TT02R. So very similar set up to you, but the addition of a decent 2S Lipo. I have a brand new high Brushless System purchased ready for this, but truth be told, I think an RZ motor plus a 2S Lipo is perfect for real world useage so Ive left it as is 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

FWIW I got 31mph with a 1060 ESC, RZ Brushed Motor and a 2S Lipo with my TT02R. So very similar set up to you, but the addition of a decent 2S Lipo. I have a brand new high Brushless System purchased ready for this, but truth be told, I think an RZ motor plus a 2S Lipo is perfect for real world useage so Ive left it as is 

The LiPO’s really make a difference don’t they.  The RZ has a bit more top end over the BZ as well doesn’t it. 

It’s more than enough motor really for everyday use.  I’m just trying to see how much I can push it within a reasonable budget.  I have my TT-02BR for more sedate fun and I plan on getting an XV-01 at some point and putting my mild brushless in it.

6 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

FWIW I got 31mph with a 1060 ESC, RZ Brushed Motor and a 2S Lipo with my TT02R.

Sounds about right but don't your RZ get really hot with that ratio?

4 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Sounds about right but don't your RZ get really hot with that ratio?

I never really checked to be honest with you, it wasn’t hot enough for me to notice. I didnt run the full pack however,  just broke the 30mph barrier and went home to fit the brushless system but changed my mind,  im saving that for a BBX now

I cant remember what pinion but its whatever the biggest physical pinion you can fit with the stock Tamiya Alloy Mount

After a bit advice I'm thinking of upgrading to the following setup:

• Hobbywing Combo MAX10 G2 80A ESC 3652SD 4100kV BLK G3 Motor
  • Core RC 4000mAHr 7.4v 30/60C 2s LiPo
  • SkyRC S65 AC Charger 65W
  • Hobbywing Multifunction LCD Program Box V2
  • Core RC JST XH 11.1v 3S LiPo Balance Extension Leads 30cm
  • SkyRC Charging Cable XT60 Female to Deans Male
  • Bat Safe Mini
  • Fusion LiPo Safe Battery Bag - Charge Sack 23x30cm

That's about £235 all in, which seems ok for a decent upgrade, which will get me to around 40mph with my current gearing (when I add my 29T pinion tomorrow) and I could add a 3S pack at some point to get some silly speeds.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I went ahead and ordered it all.  I look forward to crashing into kerbs at much higher speeds than before 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That all looks good.

The only thing I would add is consider a dual charger now. I have 3 chargers - 2 singles and a dual. If I had bought the dual earlier I wouldn't have as many chargers. The dual is a lot more convenient, and you will have it for years so the cost may seem high now but in 3 years you will have forgotten.

FWIW i have the S60 (older model of yours) and it works well. The only downside is its limited to 4S so the balance port is smaller, and all the leads you buy premade have a 6S balance plug so you have to cut it down.

I bought the HTRC C240 which is a dual charger for not much more than the S65 costs and it works well. Also it has dual power, so when it was too slow to charge a 4S battery a cheap DC power supply gives it the full 240W which happily charges 2 4S batteries 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beena said:

Fusion LiPo Safe Battery Bag

Look up lipo safe bag on YouTube before you buy this.

15 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Look up lipo safe bag on YouTube before you buy this.

Yeah I’m already thinking of not bothering with that seeing as how I would have the Bat Safe. 

22 hours ago, Beena said:

After a bit advice I'm thinking of upgrading to the following setup:

• Hobbywing Combo MAX10 G2 80A ESC 3652SD 4100kV BLK G3 Motor
  • Core RC 4000mAHr 7.4v 30/60C 2s LiPo
  • SkyRC S65 AC Charger 65W
  • Hobbywing Multifunction LCD Program Box V2
  • Core RC JST XH 11.1v 3S LiPo Balance Extension Leads 30cm
  • SkyRC Charging Cable XT60 Female to Deans Male
  • Bat Safe Mini
  • Fusion LiPo Safe Battery Bag - Charge Sack 23x30cm

That's about £235 all in, which seems ok for a decent upgrade, which will get me to around 40mph with my current gearing (when I add my 29T pinion tomorrow) and I could add a 3S pack at some point to get some silly speeds.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I went ahead and ordered it all.  I look forward to crashing into kerbs at much higher speeds than before 🤣

That Hobbywing Combo is the one I had ready for my TT02R but Im saving it for my BBX. That’ll be considerably faster Im sure!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

That Hobbywing Combo is the one I had ready for my TT02R but Im saving it for my BBX. That’ll be considerably faster Im sure!

It certainly looks like it will be.  Annoyingly though I think that they have shipped it with a Traxxas connector fitted rather than a Deans, so I'll have to return it for the proper one if that is the case when it turns up tomorrow.  I was hoping to run it this weekend 😔

• Like 1

I do like hobbywing max10 brushless combo except i wish esc is is bit smaller. (Dont think will be an issue on tt02 though)

1 minute ago, Sogogi said:

I do like hobbywing max10 brushless combo except i wish esc is is bit smaller. (Dont think will be an issue on tt02 though)

Bit messy wiring wise but heres the G2 Combo in my TT02SRX

dRERMjI.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kpowell911 said:

Bit messy wiring wise but heres the G2 Combo in my TT02SRX

dRERMjI.jpeg

Haha thay is almost exact setup i had for tt02b/tt02.

esc/ motor wire was the main pita for me.

some folks actually move esc to the other side with shorty battery which i think is a good idea

• Like 1

On 8/30/2023 at 5:46 PM, alvinlwh said:

Before you start posting questions, I already did that. 😁 And I am still none the wiser!

I finally got the Program Box and connected it up via USB and was going to monkey around with the timing, boost and rpm settings but I'm worried I'm going to ****** the motor up.  What settings did you go with on yours (bearing in mind I'm running it on NiMH)?