ChrisRx718

TD2 Astute 2022 - Because I have no Self-Control

Hopefully the image uploads will work else this will be a pretty rubbish start to a project thread.

I've decided that I much prefer 2WD over 4WD. The only exception to this rule is the GF-01, which is a bit of a special case. Some justification for this preference-

• DF-02 - Thrown a lot of money at creating an ultimate spec version (effectively TT02BR spec, albeit predecessor - and better!) - the performance is still mediocre at best. Disappointing.
  • WR-01 - Two motors, in a monster truck. What's not to love? Well, understeer, for one. I prefer the two-wheel-drive equivalent WT-01, which has probably seen over twice as much use

So admittedly I've never had anything "high end" 4WD; no Avante, Egress, DB-01/2. I did once build a DF-03, but sold it before I ran it because I needed the money. And it was a Keen Hawk, too. Can't find those now :(

Anyways, I digress. So I have the BB-01 "vintage-style" 2WD buggy, 2 different DT-02s (one in MS Spec) and I love the simplicity and how well they jump my skateboard ramp. 4WD seems too heavy to exploit and still gets stuck in even slightly-too-long grass. Might as well run the 2WD equivalent instead.

So browsing TC one night and @Sogogi goes and points out that Buyee have a 10% off coupon. The night previous to this I narrowly missed-out on a TD2, new-in-box on eBay, by about £6. So with this imaginary budget of £200 in mind I set about finding what I could on Yahoo Auctions. Threw a bid on a full-option TD2 thinking that I would be outbid, as I needed to allow around £30 for postage within that £200 budget (I assumed). 

Lo and behold, I only went and won. Total cost of this, delivered in the UK; £201.60. Returning from our family holiday I was presented this very compact box:

Box1.jpg

And within:

Box2.jpg

Awesome. Three sets of wheels in total, the original manual and decals. The driver figure is missing in action, but I think I have a spare one somewhere as it's the same mould as the old vintage buggies (Grasshopper et al).

I immediately set about ordering the rear carbon shock tower as this "full option" kit was missing it. In my haste, I also ordered a slipper clutch because the auction didn't mention it, and in images the small plastic 'bung' which goes over the spur gear shaft hole on the chassis was in-place, suggesting that the model didn't have a slipper fitted.

PXL_20230824_162040837.thumb.jpg.a298587181ddc6f42060b8b6ca8fe590.jpg

Not only did the model actually have a slipper clutch already installed, it also had a built one spare in the box. So now I have 3 slipper clutch sets :lol: I'm going to have to sell one on - please feel free to make me an offer!

The other neat little thing I wanted to do was install a cooling fan underneath that moulded cowl. The chassis has zero instructions relevant to this, but is clearly moulded to accommodate a 25mm fan.

fan1.thumb.jpg.fcd94e0cc7b038c01b6f667c18b3718f.jpg 

I had a good search around for a 25mm fan, then remembered that I had a Speed Passion Brushless ESC which I had accidentally let the magic purple smoke out of at a drift meet. The fan lived on.

PXL_20230824_130007820.thumb.jpg.eeb5a3452881778a336018f8de755981.jpg

Installing the carbon rear shock tower is a doddle. Bizarrely it includes new wing stays, so instead of attaching the wing to the chassis it is now connected to the rear shock tower.

PXL_20230824_204953065.thumb.jpg.58fd2b024d6452dec98e43a10b3f3375.jpg

Next up was to locate a motor. For my BB-01 build I had sourced a Super Stock BZ and Hobbywing 1080 ESC, but in the end I went brushless, so the electronics were left wanting a home.

PXL_20230824_204946439.thumb.jpg.df895d084334885fe968cf8acbd3ac3b.jpg

Super Stock BZ installed. I tried to fit it with the little dust guards that these come with, but the motor is such a tight squeeze into the chassis that the dust guard just slid right off as I inserted the motor. I'll have to make do without.

Next I'm off to the hobby shop to locate me a low-profile servo. I thought I had one but then realised I had used it on another build. Ah well; I like a bit of retail therapy. For future reference, here are the servo specs:

servo1.thumb.jpg.da3f3aeecf1f5b76ac6f7b11ca8c63e1.jpg

Future plans for this include:

• Fix decals to poorly-painted body (I think the blue / white will look OK)
  • Locate and fit driver figure
  • Paint and fit second body from Revive RC (TD4 Avante style shell...I'm aware of the fitment issues)
  • Send it!
  • Like 9

Subscribed. Looking forward to updates. My TD-2 is one of my favourite cars to drive.

• Like 2

Looking nice. I am also interested in TD2. (Never had modern buggy from tamiya yet)

There is a certain dynamic that only RWD RCs can give, then there's the simplicity of a 2wd setup (usually).

Which leads me to wonder, why on Earth is the motor so buried within the chassis?

On 8/31/2023 at 3:17 AM, Kowalski86 said:

There is a certain dynamic that only RWD RCs can give, then there's the simplicity of a 2wd setup (usually).

Which leads me to wonder, why on Earth is the motor so buried within the chassis?

Far be it from me to pretend to know what I'm talking about, but I understand from those who do that a mid-motor low down in the chassis is good for high-grip carpet track racing? Your guess is as good as mine, but I can see the logic in having a very low centre of gravity, which goes hand-in-hand with the front lay-down shocks too.

On 8/31/2023 at 3:41 AM, stulec52 said:

Looking forward to "Send It"!!

Me too B) Should be fairly peppy with the 1080 ESC and some LiPo power.

My trip to the local hobby shop was successful. I really wanted another Ripmax Quartz coreless servo as I've found these to be incredibly good for the money (sub-£40) but alas; the low-profile version was out of stock. 

Instead I came away with an Etronix ET2036 coreless, metal-gear digital servo. 9.5kg and 0.09s response should be more than enough for some off-road duties (probably overkill..)

image.php?filename=et2036.jpg

No experience of Etronix servos personally; I used to have a 2.4ghz Etronix radio system which was brilliant (until you could no longer obtain receivers). 

Does anyone have any feedback? 

Hopefully get some spannering time in this weekend - my youngest has her "Princess" themed 4th Birthday Party coming up, so it's going to be wild here on Saturday :lol:

• Like 3

I've had a few Etronix servos, including a couple of ET2047s (full size digital metal gear servo, 9.3kg, 0.13s) which have died on me.  They were both in a DT-03 and not overly stressed so I may have just been unlucky.  I'm currently using a few standard plastic servos that have been absolutely fine, plus I have an ET2035 (similar to the one you've bought, low profile, digital metal gear servo ,8.2kg, 0.11s) waiting for my own TD2 build.

Thanks for the spot on the fan by the way, I've just ordered from AliEpress to add one to my build  :)

The Etronix 2060 in my DT-03 seems faster than my various SPT4412s (the same 0.07s claim) and has been problem-free under pretty unlovely treatment, if that's any use. Sample size of one, of course. 

On 8/30/2023 at 10:17 PM, ChrisRx718 said:

Hopefully the image uploads will work else this will be a pretty rubbish start to a project thread.

I've decided that I much prefer 2WD over 4WD. The only exception to this rule is the GF-01, which is a bit of a special case. Some justification for this preference-

• DF-02 - Thrown a lot of money at creating an ultimate spec version (effectively TT02BR spec, albeit predecessor - and better!) - the performance is still mediocre at best. Disappointing.
  • WR-01 - Two motors, in a monster truck. What's not to love? Well, understeer, for one. I prefer the two-wheel-drive equivalent WT-01, which has probably seen over twice as much use

So admittedly I've never had anything "high end" 4WD; no Avante, Egress, DB-01/2. I did once build a DF-03, but sold it before I ran it because I needed the money. And it was a Keen Hawk, too. Can't find those now :(

Anyways, I digress. So I have the BB-01 "vintage-style" 2WD buggy, 2 different DT-02s (one in MS Spec) and I love the simplicity and how well they jump my skateboard ramp. 4WD seems too heavy to exploit and still gets stuck in even slightly-too-long grass. Might as well run the 2WD equivalent instead.

So browsing TC one night and @Sogogi goes and points out that Buyee have a 10% off coupon. The night previous to this I narrowly missed-out on a TD2, new-in-box on eBay, by about £6. So with this imaginary budget of £200 in mind I set about finding what I could on Yahoo Auctions. Threw a bid on a full-option TD2 thinking that I would be outbid, as I needed to allow around £30 for postage within that £200 budget (I assumed). 

Lo and behold, I only went and won. Total cost of this, delivered in the UK; £201.60. Returning from our family holiday I was presented this very compact box:

Box1.jpg

And within:

Box2.jpg

Awesome. Three sets of wheels in total, the original manual and decals. The driver figure is missing in action, but I think I have a spare one somewhere as it's the same mould as the old vintage buggies (Grasshopper et al).

I immediately set about ordering the rear carbon shock tower as this "full option" kit was missing it. In my haste, I also ordered a slipper clutch because the auction didn't mention it, and in images the small plastic 'bung' which goes over the spur gear shaft hole on the chassis was in-place, suggesting that the model didn't have a slipper fitted.

PXL_20230824_162040837.thumb.jpg.a298587181ddc6f42060b8b6ca8fe590.jpg

Not only did the model actually have a slipper clutch already installed, it also had a built one spare in the box. So now I have 3 slipper clutch sets :lol: I'm going to have to sell one on - please feel free to make me an offer!

The other neat little thing I wanted to do was install a cooling fan underneath that moulded cowl. The chassis has zero instructions relevant to this, but is clearly moulded to accommodate a 25mm fan.

fan1.thumb.jpg.fcd94e0cc7b038c01b6f667c18b3718f.jpg 

I had a good search around for a 25mm fan, then remembered that I had a Speed Passion Brushless ESC which I had accidentally let the magic purple smoke out of at a drift meet. The fan lived on.

PXL_20230824_130007820.thumb.jpg.eeb5a3452881778a336018f8de755981.jpg

Installing the carbon rear shock tower is a doddle. Bizarrely it includes new wing stays, so instead of attaching the wing to the chassis it is now connected to the rear shock tower.

PXL_20230824_204953065.thumb.jpg.58fd2b024d6452dec98e43a10b3f3375.jpg

Next up was to locate a motor. For my BB-01 build I had sourced a Super Stock BZ and Hobbywing 1080 ESC, but in the end I went brushless, so the electronics were left wanting a home.

PXL_20230824_204946439.thumb.jpg.df895d084334885fe968cf8acbd3ac3b.jpg

Super Stock BZ installed. I tried to fit it with the little dust guards that these come with, but the motor is such a tight squeeze into the chassis that the dust guard just slid right off as I inserted the motor. I'll have to make do without.

Next I'm off to the hobby shop to locate me a low-profile servo. I thought I had one but then realised I had used it on another build. Ah well; I like a bit of retail therapy. For future reference, here are the servo specs:

servo1.thumb.jpg.da3f3aeecf1f5b76ac6f7b11ca8c63e1.jpg

Future plans for this include:

• Fix decals to poorly-painted body (I think the blue / white will look OK)
  • Locate and fit driver figure
  • Paint and fit second body from Revive RC (TD4 Avante style shell...I'm aware of the fitment issues)
  • Send it!

Why do you prefer 2WD?

I am almost sure, that someone decided to choose worst colour and painted body. LOL.

Maybe MS decals will look nice?

On 9/1/2023 at 11:37 AM, ChrisRx718 said:

No experience of Etronix servos personally; I used to have a 2.4ghz Etronix radio system which was brilliant (until you could no longer obtain receivers). 

Does anyone have any feedback? 

I have this exact servo in my TD2. It’s not quite low profile enough so you have to use the two small raising plates in the kit to make it fit. Once it is is it seems to do the job pretty well. I’ve no plans to change it any time soon. 

The AGC-RZ low profile i fitted to my TD was great, little more costly than the etronix but higher specs and not as much wedge as a savox.

Looking forward to the end result :)

I’ve been racing the td2 for awhile now, on an off road clay track, that’s generally dry and fairly rough, but hard surface. IE: very slippery. I generally get 4th and 5th in a 10-12 car pack, sometimes 3rd. I’m the only tamiya the rest are associated/losi/X-ray/pr racing.

the car is very heavy at the rear, despite the forward rear motor. This makes it less great on high traction and better in proper off road tracks. 

i found the car wants to jump nose high, so I use the lowest wing mount with a TRF201 wing trimmed so the tyres miss it. I don’t know what tamiya are smoking with that wing mount on the carbon tower. But it’s too high IMO. 

Given I race on low traction the ball diff is the only option, It’s been maintainence free for me so far. My slipper is also set quite light.

I run a hobbywing xerun g10 v4 17.5T with a justock esc. It’s a very fast setup, I often get comments on how fast it is on the straights I think it’s partially the 3 gear tranny, and mostly how good the latest hobbywing race motors are. This motor has side tabs to solder, I was initially worried it wouldn’t fit after reading here some thoughts that top tab motors won’t fit. Actually it fits just fine. No problems at all. 

it is a nice car to drive, right up there with the DN01. 

If you’ve got any questions feel free to ask.

• Like 7