Beena

What has caused my paint to crack my body and make it soft? - Solved and I am an idiot

I started painting my polycarbonate body today with some Tamiya PS51and after the first couple of layers I noticed that one edge at the rear of the shell has become really soft and floppy and has cracked at various places.  The rest of the shell is absolutely fine and I have given it four coats, with no further ill effects.  What has caused this reaction on that part of the shell though?  I have painted two other shells with no issue.

IMG_2930.jpeg

Edit: Solved - I am a completely moron and didn't cut out the shell properly, leaving the thin part at the rear of the car, which must have reacted with the paint.  Feel free to make fun of me.

• Like 1

Do you have a dog or a cat? It looks a bit as if they have been chewing on it. Weird if it's the effect of the paint as the body is made completely out of the same material and it's the same can of paint... mysterious <_<

Never seen this reaction. Was the can well shaken? Only think I can think of is if it’s all propellant coming out instead of paint at one point?

3 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

Never seen this reaction. Was the can well shaken? Only think I can think of is if it’s all propellant coming out instead of paint at one point?

Yep I shook it for ages.  It's really odd.  It's almost like paper in that spot.  

Looks to me like something else has caused that. Did you wash the body in water? Have you used any other sprays near the body before you started painting it?

28 minutes ago, toyolien said:

Looks to me like something else has caused that. Did you wash the body in water? Have you used any other sprays near the body before you started painting it?

I washed the body  in soapy water like I always do and let it dry then painted it.  Nothing else came in contact with it.  It’s not just that it’s cracked - it feels like paper in that spot.  It’s really really flimsy, like a third of the thickness of the rest of the body.  It was absolutely fine before spraying it.

That chunk out of it was it just coming away in my fingers when I touched it. 

You must have got Aceton on it (used in nail polish etc), my first noob error was to try to remove paint from Lexan with wife’s nail polish and it dried and cracked

43 minutes ago, simalarion said:

You must have got Aceton on it (used in nail polish etc), my first noob error was to try to remove paint from Lexan with wife’s nail polish and it dried and cracked

I don’t know where that would have come from.

another thought is that the body isn't polycarbonate, but could be something else like PET, PETG or PVC?

49 minutes ago, yogi-bear said:

another thought is that the body isn't polycarbonate, but could be something else like PET, PETG or PVC?

It’s the Tamiya Toyota Celica GT-Four body. 

6 minutes ago, Beena said:

It’s the Tamiya Toyota Celica GT-Four body. 

ok, its Polycarbonate it is then. Maybe the polycarbonate has just gone off then. Do you know how it was stored?

6 minutes ago, yogi-bear said:

ok, its Polycarbonate it is then. Maybe the polycarbonate has just gone off then. Do you know how it was stored?

No idea.  It’s a relatively new release so it’s not that old.  Seems odd that it’s just in that spot as well.  It’s really baffling.

Just now, Beena said:

No idea.  It’s a relatively new release so it’s not that old.  Seems odd that it’s just in that spot as well.  It’s really baffling.

yeah, that is strange then, I was thinking it might have been left in sunlight for a but. The only other thing I can think off is its a defect from the holding process in the factory, unlikely, but a possibility.

Do I see it right, that the body is currently uncut? It looks like the cracked part need to be cut away. Those areas of the body are usually pretty thin.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aerobert said:

Do I see it right, that the body is currently uncut? It looks like the cracked part need to be cut away. Those areas of the body are usually pretty thin.

Oh my god I am such an idiot! I had cut the body out and clearly didn't pay attention to the instructions, as I assumed that the bodykit followed all of the way around the car so I didn't cut that part out 🤦🏻‍♂️ Turns out that it is higher at the back and that is indeed why it is so flimsy.  The paint must have done something to the thinner plastic. 

You sir are a genius and I am clearly an absolute moron! I feel so embarrassed.

• Like 1

I was actually thinking that first because it seemed a bit odd cutted but then i was thinking it looks about correct cutted (and also thought that would not matter anyway),  so it’s completely understandable to me that you reacted this way & i learned something new :)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Beena said:

You sir are a genius and I am clearly an absolute moron! I feel so embarrassed.

No need to feel that way. Sometimes you can stare at your own work forever and you won't find anything wrong.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aerobert said:

No need to feel that way. Sometimes you can stare at your own work forever and you won't find anything wrong.

Oh great..  now I’m going to scratch my head until bald.. :blink:  :lol:

Hope all is well @Beena!!  :D 

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Hope all is well @Beena!!  :D 

All is well thanks.  I finished painting it and cut all of it out 🤣

IMG_2933.jpeg

• Like 13

35 minutes ago, Aerobert said:

Looks great. Nice colour choice. 👍

15 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Indeed, nice job @Beena!  B)

Thanks fellas.  I’m really pleased with the colour.  It looked a bit too light once I had given it a few coats of PS51 so I backed it with some black and it came out nice.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Alexei said:

dayum it looks good. is it PS-51?

It is.  With three layers of black on top of it.