Tamiyastef

M-05 & M-08 duo rebuild/build

I've never done a build thread before but I thought it might be interesting to combine the needed rebuild of my M-05 with the new build of my M-08. Both M-chassis but entirely different; FWD versus RWD, basic kit versus "competition oriented" kit, shortest versus longest wheelbase.

These are the kits I started with:

20220209_210125.jpg 20230901_134552.jpg

As some of you may already know, a few weeks ago I was "smart" enough to drive my M-05 right into a metal post bolted to the ground. No visible damage except some chips of the paint on the body and the car still functioned but it sounded horrible afterwards...

Apparently the high speed gear set spur was the first to give:  20230819_135821.jpg

As I love driving my M-05 for Racing by Post a rebuild had to be done in the very near future and so I started this duo rebuild/build thread.

The M-05 was disassembled and cleaned in the ultrasonic cleaner. Needed and with good result IMO as evidenced by these before/after pictures:

20230819_135909.jpg20230819_135845.jpg20230901_112159.jpg

PS: the chassis part in the middle picture above only looks silver, it's just black as is the rest of the chassis.

Now just rebuilding the M-05 with the already installed hop-ups wasn't enough, I'd rather install some more blue bling :D and other options i.e. to make the use of square batteries possible...

20230901_134426.jpg 20230901_134201.jpg And yes, against better judgement I'll install a brushless combo, mostly because it's blue... 

The M-08 will stay mostly stock, no upgrading to "R-spec" or similar. Just these options: 20230901_134742.jpg

What's in the box is the usual Tamiya tools 20230901_140250.jpg with "concept" zipties :D

Just by unpacking you can feel (and see) the difference in the plastics between the M-05 and M-08, the latter having an almost matt finish 20230901_135916.jpg

Typical Tamiya double sprues 20230901_140610.jpg and these 20230901_140741.jpg that look to be 4 identical sprues but actualy are not.

Allthough they are called the same (V and Q) and the manual states you get 4 of each Tamiya has made the effort to make and use 2 different molds for these V parts as well as for the Q parts

20230901_220042.jpg 20230901_220119.jpg 

I can't imagine why they did this and without a build thread I would have never noticed. Not important either because you get indeed 4 times identical parts but I can't help myself wondering why use 2 different molds. I would almost forget you also get these in the M-08 concept box:

20230901_144539.jpg 20230901_144559.jpg Some anodized blue! And bearings!

I'll build the cars next to eachother, pictures of the actual builds in following posts

• Like 6

So I started with the M-05 step 1 and 2 and already needed some of the new parts, the chassis as wel as the beautiful blue aluminium motor plate. 

20230901_143924.jpg Nothing that requires special attention, allthough I immediately installed the rear stabilizer to avoid pulling the whole thing apart again later on...

The M-08 also starts with the chassis but you need to take notice of the direction of the tiny lock nuts and using the two sizes of shims in the right spot. 

20230901_145713.jpg Step 2 is the first actual build step an already they ask you to drill holes in this mint and brandnew chassis :unsure: This is clearly not the ideal kit for firsttimers...

Next build steps for the M-05 let you build the differential and the lower front suspension arms. I already installed the ball ends to connect the stabilizer later on. Next is bolting the rear chassis to one part of the front chassis and install gears there.

20230901_154325.jpg I used the new lightweight hollow shafts for the gearbox.

Next step for the M-08 is building the rear suspension arms. Again spacers and removing part of the suspension arm :o. Installing grub screws to be able to set droop later. 

20230901_150845.jpg

Step 4 is attaching the arms to the chassis, shims determine the degree of toe in. Arm movement is butter smooth.

20230901_151410.jpg

In step 5 we get to the gears and I'm using the high speed spur from 3racing instead of the kit provided one and get to install the beautiful blue motor plate on the M-08 as well :D

20230901_152013.jpg 20230901_152614.jpg

As in good M-chassis manner both gearboxes will be put to use dry. No lube on the gears, only a little drop of TSL 1:1 competition lubrication in the bearings and on the axles.

• Like 7

Very cool.

I'm also building an M-05 "Bitsa" - built from bits obtained separately - I've noticed it being much harder to track down hop ups this last 6 months. I've had to resort to shops I've never used before, Yahoo Japan auctions and have spent far more than I originally intended. And I still don't have all the parts I wanted!

I would start my own build thread, but I've started so many build threads lately that if I started another one the whole forum would realise just how chaotic my life is :lol:

One day, I'll finish something.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ChrisRx718 said:

track down hop ups

Yes indeed. The hop ups for this M-05 rebuild came from 4 or 5 different places.

2 hours ago, Tamiyastef said:

I can't help myself wondering why use 2 different molds.

Could have been to make them more stackable inside the package of a damper set?

Great to see you making this thread, following with interest :)

And let us know how the Concept zipties perform!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Very cool.

I'm also building an M-05 "Bitsa" - built from bits obtained separately - I've noticed it being much harder to track down hop ups this last 6 months.

With the MB-01 being released and the M07/M08 being the "competition" M-chassis, first party M05/M06 hop-ups are likely going to become a bit more scarce, if not discontinued.

I've been curious to see a build thread on that Golf, since it's been in quite a few postal races and it usually finishes in the top 5.

8 hours ago, Pylon80 said:

more stackable inside the package

That's a valuable option indeed, thank you. With this out of the way inner peace may once again be achieved :D

About the zipties, they are the real deal. Everybody is familiar with the classic white, small black and reusable rubber bag bead one but these concepts are something else!

20230902_092412.jpg

There's metal inside 20230902_092520.jpg and to compensate for the extra weight they reworked aerodynamics 20230902_092809.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 9/1/2023 at 11:21 PM, ChrisRx718 said:

One day, I'll finish something.

The M-05 Golf in this thread is actually from the previous release (I bought it February 9th 2019) and the Golf body hasn't seen any paint yet... 

6 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

MB-01 being released

That was really tempting but as 4WD seems to run in some practical issues (where to put the battery?) I let this one pass. As the 3 wheelbases are possible with the MB-01 I do think it will replace both M-05 and M-06 in the near future, only hope is that the chassis is too high to put most scale M-size bodies on, then Tamiya will keep the M-05 and M-06 going IMO.

• Like 1

The MB-01 is 2WD, it's the MF-01X which is M-chassis sized but 4wd.

The MB-01 marks the end of the M05/06 imo, out with the monocoque style chassis and in with a more basic tub (like TT01/02). I don't think we'll ever see M-09/M-10 now.

I am also worried about the chassis architecture not permitting certain bodyshells. I'm surely not alone in clinging to the hope that one day we see another Mini Cooper, but that has really short overhangs front and back. 

Changing the subject completely; do you know if the Ver1 M05 aluminium motor mount plate #54184 works with the Ver2 chassis plastics #54602? Tamiya re-worked this aluminium part for Ver2 (#54609) but it's impossible to find. I've managed to get hold of a Ver1 mount, but if it won't fit then I'll sell it on :mellow:

• Like 1

MB-01 is 2WD, it's the MF-01X which is M-chassis sized but 4wd.

Yes indeed, my fault. I should have said "making the MB-01 into 4WD runs into some practical issues" as I already have a FWD (M-05) and RWD (M-08) all that's left on my wishlist in M-size is a 4WD. The MF-01X really isn't one for me. I don't know why exactly, as I never even seen a build one in real life, but to me it feels wrong in every possible way.  

• Like 1

I am also worried about the chassis architecture not permitting certain bodyshells. I'm surely not alone in clinging to the hope that one day we see another Mini Cooper, but that has really short overhangs front and back. 

Someone in Japan was able to fit a Mini Cooper body onto an MB01: 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

Someone in Japan was able to fit a Mini Cooper body onto an MB01

It looks like a very compact chassis - not much space left in there. :) As for the body (or rather, the stickers on it) I have always wondered how Timo Mäkinen as one of the famous "Flying Finns" ended up "driving for Sweden"  on this model ... ;)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

Someone in Japan was able to fit a Mini Cooper body onto an MB01

So that will be the end of M-05 and M-06 in Tamiya's line up I pressume...

11 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Changing the subject completely

Wait a minute, you're on to something... The generic motor mount I bought for rebuilding my M-05 fits the Ver.2 chassis but hasn't the extra lip to mount the Alu Heat sink bars (#19804804) so I don't think these will get used :(

Edit: just found a #54184 in a Japanese warehouse that's now on its way to me. I guess I'll be taking the car back apart when that arrives so I can use the heat sink bars :D

Edited by Tamiyastef
part ordered

3 minutes ago, Tamiyastef said:

So that will be the end of M-05 and M-06 in Tamiya's line up I pressume...

Very likely,  I hope that the MB-01 will handle well enough to work as a "car park basher that you can race on a budget", the M05 could fill both rolls, same for the M06 to an extent.

• Like 1

So where were we? I completed the second page of the manual with both cars, so carry on with page 3 :D

For the M-05 that means joining the two chassis parts 20230901_160203.jpg

Next is mounting the bottom suspension arms in front and the "low friction" king pins get used, as wel does the universal drive shafts and alu steering knuckels20230901_175927.jpg

Back to page 3 for on the M-08 and putting gears on shafts 20230901_181009.jpg Here also Tamiya choose to use some plastic spacers (B14 and B7) in the gearbox of a "competition" oriënted chassis.

Maybe aluminium had been better. 

20230901_181424.jpg Closing the gearbox is a bit fiddly as both shafts have to be in the exact good spot to get it closed.

Final step of page 3 requires calipers, for now I just mounted the kit provided pinion (20T) and reused the silver can that had been in the M-05.

20230901_182038.jpg

• Like 2

Good question @cstorckiii 

I doubted and finally decided to pass on those as I would only be using the front ones. To fill the wheel arches of the Golf in the rear I use these:

20230902_214743.jpg

One of the other bodies I use on this chassis also benefits from the wider track in the rear:

20220407_203646.jpg I know, I know. A Porsche on a FWD chassis :o Blasphemy! 

On the other hand it looks and handles great IMO, so why not?

• Like 4

Who said men can’t multitask @Tamiyastef?

Look at you go with 2 simultaneous builds at the same time, excellent stuff my man 👍🏻

• Haha 1

Hectic weekend so not much build time, nevertheless started on page 4 step 9 for the M-05, attaching the parts form step 8 to the chassis. Normally this are the dogbones, I opted for universals.  

20230903_212452.jpg20230903_213313.jpg20230903_213400.jpg

And imediately installed the stabilizer  20230903_213322.jpg 

A lot of you don't like (to put it gently :D) the screw pins and step screws. I haven't had a problem with these on this chassis. 

I remember on the DT-02 one screw pin kept working loose every run. That stopped once I put it in from the other side than stated in the manual. The step screws were used on our King Blackfoots to hold the dampers to the chassis and were a complete nightmare. I replaced them with metric bolts, bushings and a nut. No need for such measures on the M-05 IMO.

Step 10 is installing the steering linkage 20230903_213719.jpg 

For me more these instructions 20230903_213712.jpg 20230903_214331.jpg Toe setting will be fine tuned later on.

Last step for this page is putting the pinion on the motor. You get a special "tool" going under the name of "The pinion stopper" with the M-05 for getting the right distance so the gears allign correctly. 

20230903_220127.jpg 20230903_214807.jpg I went for the 22T pinion and not the 24T pinion because...

20230903_214753.jpg 

the 22T pinion is the biggest that fits through hole in the motor plate. To install the 24T pinion disassembling of the chassis is necessary. I did that before for the silvercan speedrun but I guess I will have more power and speed than i can handle with this brushless set...

Now if I want a decent amount of sleep before work tomorrow I need to stop right here and now. So progress on the M-08 will (hopefully) be for tomorrow or later this week.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Tamiyastef said:

A lot of you don't like (to put it gently :D) the screw pins and step screws. I haven't had a problem with these on this chassis.

In my experience, screw pins are much easier to uninstall/reinstall vs stainless shafts and e-clips. How do you plan on setting up the diff in your M05?

• Like 1

@Kowalski86 there is one, big advantage of stainless shafts compared to screw pins. Shafts can be installed/ removed many times without any damage. Screw pins always wear thread just a bit.

• Like 2