markbt73

A love letter to the Hobbywing Quicrun 1060

If you want more brakes or some drag brake on a 1060, all you have to do is pick any of the open end bell Tamiya motors :D When you lift the throttle, they just stop.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2023 at 1:22 AM, alvinlwh said:

In a word, no. They are non programmable other than what is done on the jumpers.

Yeah, didn't think they were but I'm no guru by any stretch! Cheers for confirming. As I say, I'm probably just used to brushless brakes so...either way, not really an issue, just a 'wouldn't it be nice if...'👍

Just came across this youtube video evaluating several ~60+A escs.  It is just one simple test, but the 1060 rebrand/clones (KA060, GoolRC, THW 1060, "clone 1060") all performed good and consistently.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SlideWRX said:

Just came across this youtube video evaluating several ~60+A escs.  It is just one simple test, but the 1060 rebrand/clones (KA060, GoolRC, THW 1060, "clone 1060") all performed good and consistently.

No brand 60A "went up in smoke right out of the box", same exact experience I had! 🤣 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I do like 1060. Sometimes tempted to get 1080.. but i can get 2x 1060 for the same price! 

As much as I like my 1060s, I had came across an ESC on YouTube that I am going to try out next. It is the Radiolink Cool 9030. 2-4S, 90A constant and selectable BEC of 5.5 or 7.5V allowing use of HV servos. For a similar price as a 1060.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

It is the Radiolink Cool 900. 2-4S, 90A constant and selectable BEC of 5.5 or 7.5V allowing use of HV servos. For a similar price as a 1060.

That doesn't look half bad, looks like it has an XT60 connector too.

On 9/24/2023 at 7:35 AM, alvinlwh said:

As much as I like my 1060s, I had came across an ESC on YouTube that I am going to try out next. It is the Radiolink Cool 9030. 2-4S, 90A constant and selectable BEC of 5.5 or 7.5V allowing use of HV servos. For a similar price as a 1060.

Oof, I hope your experience with the Cool 9030 is better than mine. I had high hopes for it, but no matter what settings I tried, the low-voltage cutoff was still enabled for all types of batteries, so even with a 9.6v 8-cell NiMH and a silvercan motor, it was completely unusable. It would instantly shut down when throttle was applied. Not sure if it was a dud, or if all of them are like that, but I returned it for a refund and am now using a different ESC in that car with no problems. (and just to be scientific before I returned it, I made sure to also try it in a few other cars, and every single one of them tripped the LVC, unlike their usual ESCs)

49 minutes ago, El Gecko said:

completely unusable

Oh dear. I better get one for tests first before changing everything over.

I love me some 1060 as well but it took a while. I first put it in my M08 and found the steps to be a little coarse for the RWD car. Pylon80 pointed it out about how notchy the steps are compared to a higher end model. The notchiness made a touchy car really touchy when rolling on the throttle coming out of a turn. But on my TT02 I have no such issues. I think it's about the best you can get for a simple basher esc. About the only thing I care to do to mine is shorten the motor leads on my TT02 and maybe remove the switch to free up some more chassis space for a cleaner look. 

how is it that the HW1060 sometimes underperform its clones (branded and unbranded)? maybe they are not actual "clones"?

for example. at the extreme end of the spectrum, the kyosho KA060-91W seem to do a lot better in the video below.

and not by a small margin...

I bought new 1060 and found that it shows full throttle ( LED is constantly red) from about 75/80% of input.

Do you know how to fix it? I have Sanwa MX-6 radio.

It is strange, because other 1060s I have work fine with the same radio.

Edit:

I set throttle EPA to 80% and now seems to be fine. 

I think i read about this issue somewhere on Forum.

BTW: I set Forward/ Brake mode, because I do not want to have Reverse. Can it somehow affect throttle range?

Edit #2:

LOL

I checked DT-03 and it is the same.

I definitely need to check settings...

13 hours ago, gkatz said:

how is it that the HW1060 sometimes underperform its clones (branded and unbranded)? maybe they are not actual "clones"?

for example. at the extreme end of the spectrum, the kyosho KA060-91W seem to do a lot better in the video below.

and not by a small margin...

The Kyosho is probably a rebranded 1060.  I think you will find a couple percent difference between the same esc simply because of part variation. The second part of his testing was linked above, and that had similar but closer results for the Tamiya HW and the Kyosho.  Kyosho *might* spec the best output ones get selected for them, or it is just variability.  Considering they cost twice as much though, they are not a cost effective choice.

Presumably with the same transmitter/receiver the calibration results would be the same everytime, getting it to 100% throttle for every test, but possibly some hit 99%?