Tizer

Tizer's quick FF01 restore

Recently in another buying spree on Yahoo Auctions I bought a Tamiya Toyota HKS Altezza body in the carbon print, as that was still missing from my collection of HKS bodies. I kindoff forgot what chassis came with it, so when it finally arrived a few months later I was surprised to find a decent looking stock FF01 under it on drifting tires. Not sure what was going on there, but of course that doesn't make any sense :D 

Since I already have plenty of cool FF01's I don't really need this one, so I decided to clean it up so I can perhaps sell it on.

It arrived pretty dirty and dusty, but in what seemed like good condition. No obvious cracks in all the common places.

09-B5926-1.jpg

09-B5929-1.jpg

09-B5932-1.jpg

Now it's time to pull it apart, see what's missing or broken, clean it all up and replace what needs to be replaced. It should end up being a tidy looking stock FF01 for someone else to enjoy racing/building.

• Like 10

Tearing it down was a matter of about 15 minutes. It's become routine after building so many FF01's and TA01/2's :) 

09-B5934-1.jpg

Now for a deep clean and rebuild with some new parts.

• Like 6

I wish I could find older Tamiyas in my area but small towns in the southwest don't really rc anything.

Looking good.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/21/2023 at 7:11 AM, joshuaT said:

I wish I could find older Tamiyas in my area but small towns in the southwest don't really rc anything.

Looking good.

I feel your pain... I'm in Tucson. NOTHING here! The last decent track closed over 3 years ago. 

I finished this car quite a while ago but never showed the results.

Couple things I had to replace:
Front knuckles were cracked so replaced those with original blue ones in new condition.
Front bodypost was missing so I've added a new set.
Rear wheel axles were from a TA01/2 so I swapped those out with the correct FWD freewheeling axles.
Front bumper was smashed and none of the other ones in my spares box were good, so I 3D printed a replacement in SLS nylon and had them vaporsmoothed to get as close to an injection moulded finish as possible.
Batterymount was missing so I also printed and smoothed one of those.
Wheelhexes were cracked, so I replaced those with new ones.

Plus ofcourse a deep cleaning!

The car turned out to be pretty solid. It has a mark of some paint (from where it crashed into something and the body rubbed) on the gearbox, some scratches on the batchtub and lower gearbox plate and a tiny tiny crack in one of the damper mounts. It would make a great runner or project, but it's the 5th FF01 in my collection so I will let it go to someone else. Will put it up for sale soon I think :) 

It was a fun little project that kept me busy for a few evenings. By now I think I can assemble an FF01 blindly :D 

Here's what it looks like now:

09-B6193-1.jpg

09-B6202-1.jpg

09-B6189-1.jpg

09-B6196-1.jpg

09-B6210-1.jpg

09-B6181-1.jpg

09-B6199-1.jpg

What do you guys think? :) 

• Like 6

I like the finish on your printed front bumper. What is vapor smoothing and is it something one can do at home?

• Like 2

On 11/23/2023 at 10:12 AM, TurnipJF said:

I like the finish on your printed front bumper. What is vapor smoothing and is it something one can do at home?

There are some set ups you can use at home. It's more often used for vapor smoothing parts from an FDM printer (with ABS filament). This however is SLS Nylon (PA12) so the chemical used might be slightly different, not sure.

I work at Shapeways and we offer a vapor smoothed finish on SLS and MJF PA12 printed models, so I just used that ;)

What it is is a chemical polishing process where an agressive chemical vapor condensated onto the surface of your model and 'melts' the top layer, leaving it a lot smoother than before.

14 hours ago, wtcc5 said:

So glad to see you put so much love in the FF01!

Always! The thought crossed my mind of using this one with the Tamiya carbon chassis to put next to my 2 HPI's and Big Wave FF01's but that would be a little bit boring wouldn't it :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1