Dakratfink

Squash Van

The video states that it has a pre-painted body. I would probably have done box art colors anyway so that's cool. I plan to get one of these for ripping around the yard. Hop-up with CVA mini shocks, ball bearings and 18t steel pinion. Good to go.

• Like 2

The scrub radius looks a little ridiculous in the video. Surely there are some longer suspension arms and less offset wheels that would fit in the tamiya parts bin?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cyclonecap said:

The scub radius looks a little ridiculous in the video. Surely there are some longer suspension arms and less offset wheels that would fit in the tamiya parts bin?

I know. It looks like the wheels could just snap off.

Thinking about this more. Why wouldn't they have just used the same setup that is on the comical buggies, GF-01CB? Longer arms, shorter axles, shorter hex hubs. Would the wheels not fit?

EDIT: Looking closer at the video, it does have the long arms and also uses long axles

I am hoping that the aftermarket parts people will jump on this one and give us taller shock towers like they did with the WR-01/WT-01. I can imagine this chassis performing very nicely with longer shocks that let the chassis bottom out before running out of travel.

• Like 2

I cannot wait for this. I used to love my dual hunter, but this looks like a very worthwhile replacement.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, qatmix said:

I used to love my dual hunter, but this looks like a very worthwhile replacement

I've been thinking the same thing.

Looks like there are three positions for different pinion sizes, 17T, 18T and 20T. GF-01 only has two, 18T and 20T. Also, it shows ball bearings.

I dig it but slightly less so after seeing it run. I think I like the new Pajero a little bit better. 

3 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

Wait, a beginner level Tamiya with BEARINGS?!!!

Thats probably just because they are demoing it, zooming in on the end card, which looks like the box cover to me, doesnt say anything about bearings being included:

qnH34qD.png

• Thanks 1

Giving it some thought, watching the video, it does seem reminiscent of my old WR01Twin Detonator. The crazy scrub radius and offset wheels seem to be WR01 carry overs. There's probably little in the way of kick-up or caster in that front end. It all adds up to a darty, somewhat odd feel. It would probably benefit from the 8 degree hub carriers Tamiya offers. The tall, firmish Blackfoot rubber doesn't do any favors either. Shorter, wider, softer Lunch Box/WW2 rubber and wheels would probably help both through more stability and lower CG. Overall though, it looks like a typical fun, knock-around Tamiya truck, which is just fine.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ziddan said:

Thats probably just because they are demoing it, zooming in on the end card, which looks like the box cover to me, doesnt say anything about bearings being included:

Oh, no surprises there then.

• Like 1

Think I’m going to cancel my pre order and transfer it to an Arrma Gorgon artr 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Busdriver said:

You could always buy a Squash Van body eventually and put it on the Gorgon, I guess. :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimBear said:

You could always buy a Squash Van body eventually and put it on the Gorgon, I guess. :D

Not sure about wheelbase? 

22 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

Not sure about wheelbase? 

The Gorgon has a 295 mm wheelbase, whereas the Squash is 267 mm apparently. So maybe not a good idea, then.

7 hours ago, Busdriver said:

I'm slowly leaning this way too.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2023 at 11:53 PM, smirk-racing said:

The new Pajero doesn't do it for me - I think the prior versions look excellent:

(from this page, which is kind of interesting in and of itself: http://www.technicopedia.com/RC/CW-01 Montero/montero2.html)

1884722355_ScreenShot2023-09-18at2_51_28PM.thumb.png.5ebb59506a4ab3550ec8f44cea4d12e7.png

Hadnt seen that model before, makes me want to build a non-lifted and sand blaster wheeled CW-01 as an alternative to use with my Pumpkin and Lunchbox shells.

On 9/26/2023 at 9:43 AM, Saito2 said:

Giving it some thought, watching the video, it does seem reminiscent of my old WR01Twin Detonator. The crazy scrub radius and offset wheels seem to be WR01 carry overs. There's probably little in the way of kick-up or caster in that front end. It all adds up to a darty, somewhat odd feel.

That's what I think, too.  TBH it's exactly what I expected, chassis-wise, and I think it's be perfectly good as a typical Tamiya fun-truck with plenty of scope for improvement.  It'll be lighter out of the box than a WR-02, and with modern motors there's no reason why it won't be just as fast (the WR-02 was always a tricky beast to power-up because of its reverse motor requirement).  The shorter wheelbase on the GF-02 should play nicer with existing Tamiya bodies - the Blackfoot 3 and Mud Blaster 2 never looked right on the WT-01.

The scrub radius is a side-effect of using those deep wheels, but I'll take that trade-off as the wheels look awesome, IMO monster truck wheels should be deep.  I'm not a fan of the flat-faced wheels on the big Traxxas basher trucks, they may well perform better but they don't look right.

Lack of kickup/caster is an odd one, I can't see the chassis close enough to be sure it hasn't been handled.  The caster issue can be solved with caster blocks (I'll go out on a limb and say this is going to have TL-01B arms and hubs) but some kickup would be nice for a truck that's supposed to bounce around in the dirt.

The body wobble isn't a good look but I can't say it's unexpected, and it'll be fun trying to fix that with clever interior builds.

I still like this truck, and still want one, I think it'll be good simple fun out of the box and has loads of scope for improvement.  Just for me personally I'm not happy about the pre-painted body.  I get that there are a growing number of Tamiya fans who want pre-painted bodies, but if Tamiya are going to go down this route, I'd like them to start offering bare chassis kits so I can pick my own body and not be left with yet another one that I don't want.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mad Ax said:

The scrub radius is a side-effect of using those deep wheels, but I'll take that trade-off as the wheels look awesome.

I can't help but think of this character from Toy Story, whenever I see those wheels. I'm sure that some buggies from back in the 90's had wheels like this too.

Sbcd32ac7b2354b448095d36b9b4fee335.png_6

• Like 1

On 9/25/2023 at 9:17 AM, simalarion said:

Note that the running Van in the Tamiya video has Brushless setup while the introduction on the setup in the video show standard silver can, that makes it much more “tippy” but also it have more power than stock, not sure if im ok with that “trick”:

spacer.png

If it comes with a brushless-ready esc I guess that would be less deceiving. But it'd be nice if it at least came with a Torque Tuned motor, that's about as fast as I'd run in it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

TamiyaUSA still reckons it comes with a clear shell...

Screenshot_20230927-124700.png

The painted shell might be a Japan only option. 

3 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

If it comes with a brushless-ready esc I guess that would be less deceiving. But it'd be nice if it at least came with a Torque Tuned motor, that's about as fast as I'd run in it.

I run my gf01 with a 13.5 brushless.. it’s great. My squash van will be very overpowered 😂

• Like 3

I think this one is growing on me.

I’m not massively keen on the colour scheme or the Blackfoot Xtreme wheels, although both are easily enough remedied. 

I do like that’s it’s 4WD, as it makes a decent alternative to a CW01.

I also like the gearing in the chassis and battery tray, which makes it like a 4 Wheel Konghead.