Dakratfink

Squash Van

Looks like it has the sort of medium length CB arms?

Would have preferred the longer arms like WR01/01B etc. Would have been less tippy and you could have more articulation. Looks like the tyres are right on the limit or scraping the archers with the stock setup.

Still like it, though!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, nowinaminute said:

Looks like it has the sort of medium length CB arms?

That's what I'm thinking.

11 minutes ago, nowinaminute said:

Would have preferred the longer arms like WR01/01B etc. Would have been less tippy and you could have more articulation.

I've been thinking of that as a possible build scenario myself. With my old Twin Detonator simply worn out, this looks like it could be made into a single motor replacement. A hot motor, long arms and some form of taller shock towers would get it there. The problem is, I'm usually not happy with vehicles that I envision reconfiguring before I even build them stock.  

If it does have a clear body (T-USA still claims it does), I could conceivably see picking one of these up, if I don't get lured away by the 2wd Arrma Gorgon. Either way, my Stampede has to go to make room.  

• Like 1

Theres a nice “in the flesh shot” here on Harley Designs report (which is very good too).

IMG_5318.thumb.jpeg.d6bc2b2be88eb6710ba7f724fa701b2d.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shergar said:

Theres a nice “in the flesh shot” here on Harley Designs report (which is very good too).

IMG_5318.thumb.jpeg.d6bc2b2be88eb6710ba7f724fa701b2d.jpeg

Slightly OT, but I was impressed with Redcats booth. They're releasing some pretty detailed stuff compared to the re-branded HSP stuff that they used to put out.

• Like 1

Yeah I though that too - some impressive detailing and engineering on the wagon. I did chuckle at the TRX4 “hommage” too, i can hear the lawsuits now 🤣

Apologies for the thread drift 👍

Bearing ( no pun intended) in mind this is due for November release I haven’t seen a single review of it, other than official Tamiya press video? I would have thought Tomeley would have had one by now? Or have I missed something!!!

Oh dear. I hope they haven't cancelled it like they did with the original MB-01 which also appeared at a show and was never seen again.

31 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Oh dear. I hope they haven't cancelled it like they did with the original MB-01 which also appeared at a show and was never seen again.

Usually I get pulled to comical cars by Tamiya, (like M38, WW2, Wheeler, CityTurbo, all the Comcal buggies and @Nikko85 based Pumpkin)..but not sure about this one..   

This is what a comical Pumpkin should look like dimensionally..?

IMG_Dec162021at50712PM.jpg.0308642adbd6e8ab696a28a3f840fd49.jpg

• Like 4

On 11/11/2023 at 6:37 PM, chris.alex said:

I have a question: Is it true that you can install two servos?

It says that you can build it with 4WS on the box, and the closely related G6-01 uses two servos to achieve 4WS, so I think it is logical to assume that the GF-02 also uses two servos for 4WS.

On 10/23/2023 at 5:06 AM, Busdriver said:

Bearing ( no pun intended) in mind this is due for November release I haven’t seen a single review of it, other than official Tamiya press video? 

I've seen a few reviewers recently cover the CW-01 Pajero, I guess Tamiya doesn't want one model taking the hype from the other.

No idea why, but I all of the sudden want this thing :)  Didn't think much of it when it was announced, but this will be absolutely perfect for some light running on the ball field in loose dirt like I do with my other stock Tamiyas.  Can't wait until its released.  Now to decide on a color...I actually like the box art color, but unless its vintage/iconic I tend to go with different colors on the newer stuff.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, 87lc2 said:

Now to decide on a color...I actually like the box art color

Me too. I like how the name is tied to the Midnight Pumpkin even if it is kinda weird. Squash Van. Maybe a cucumber truck is in the works. I guess if someone said "Midnight Pumpkin" to me today for the first time, I'd think it odd, but being ingrained in my mind for decades (and being exposed to it at an early impressionable age), it rolls of the tongue.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Saito2 said:

Me too. I like how the name is tied to the Midnight Pumpkin even if it is kinda weird. Squash Van. Maybe a cucumber truck is in the works. I guess if someone said "Midnight Pumpkin" to me today for the first time, I'd think it odd, but being ingrained in my mind for decades (and being exposed to it at an early impressionable age), it rolls of the tongue.

Yes, exactly.  I do all of the classics in box art because they are so ingrained in my head I can't see them any other way.  I always do the newer stuff in my own style.  Funny how that works, isn't it? 

It's funny you mention them sounding a bit weird to outsiders.  My wife always gives me a funny look when she hears me say ClodBuster, but to me it can't be a more "normal" word. 

• Like 1

On 11/13/2023 at 8:04 PM, 87lc2 said:

No idea why, but I all of the sudden want this thing :)  Didn't think much of it when it was announced, but this will be absolutely perfect for some light running on the ball field in loose dirt like I do with my other stock Tamiyas.  Can't wait until its released.  Now to decide on a color...I actually like the box art color, but unless its vintage/iconic I tend to go with different colors on the newer stuff.

You might have an issue with non box art because it seems that the body is pre painted? The lack of any reviews perturbs me slightly. I cancelled my pre order and bought a Gorgon. A lot cheaper and a lot of fun, I’m also looking at the Losi mini Gravedigger, which probably won’t be any more expensive once you factor in bearings etc on the Squash Van!! If any decent reviews come out I may change my mind especially if it transpires that the body is actually clear??

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

You might have an issue with non box art because it seems that the body is pre painted? The lack of any reviews perturbs me slightly. I cancelled my pre order and bought a Gorgon. A lot cheaper and a lot of fun, I’m also looking at the Losi mini Gravedigger, which probably won’t be any more expensive once you factor in bearings etc on the Squash Van!! If any decent reviews come out I may change my mind especially if it transpires that the body is actually clear??

Oh really?  Hmm...I don't hate the box art color but I do enjoy painting my own bodies.  I'd probably still get it, who knows. 

Of course there are much better trucks than this van for the money, but I think every Tamiya I've ever bought was "overpriced" when compared to the competition :)   One of the greatest joys in my RC life is building a Tamiya kit bone stock and taking it for a run around the local ball fields.  I just love the imperfect perfection (if that makes sense) of a Tamiya kit. 

That mini LMT seems a bit expensive for a brushed mini-truck, but I think everyone I know has pre-ordered one already.  I'm not a fan of small scale RC stuff for some reason.  Not sure why but they've never grabbed my interest. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 87lc2 said:

love the imperfect perfection (if that makes sense) of a Tamiya kit

I second that, that's why I love my Grasshopper (next to pure nostalgia of course)

13 minutes ago, 87lc2 said:

I'm not a fan of small scale RC stuff

I second that too. If I see them on YouTube they seem fun but I've seen them several times in my LHS and I'd rather put that money in another imperfect Tamiya than in a small crawler for some reason. Maybe I just idolise my 1/10 scale crawler/trail trucks :D 

• Like 1

I definitely get the size / scale thing for the Losi. It is quite small, would have been nicer at maybe 1/12-1/14 scale. For me the issue with the big one is the size!!!

22 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

I definitely get the size / scale thing for the Losi. It is quite small, would have been nicer at maybe 1/12-1/14 scale. For me the issue with the big one is the size!!!

Yea, the 1/8 LMTs are big and heavy - which is why I like them :)   I'm sure I'll grab one of the little guys at some point, its just not my thing.  They're already talking about adding them to the race programs here so I'll give in at some point.

30 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

Yes. I am biased towards 1/12 - but I'd love to see Monster trucks in that kind of size (200 - 240 mm wheelbase).

A modern monster truck that was Pumpkin sized or even Blackfoot sized would be great - the modern 1/10 is bigger than a Clod, which at the time was stupidly big! 

Squash Van showing as available at Tamiya USA (full MSRP of course), but must mean it will be available in the US very soon.  Get your bearings ready!!

• Like 3

On 11/13/2023 at 12:38 PM, Saito2 said:

At least a Cucumber Truck would be more aero than this hot turd of a body shape....

Oh Jesus, maybe the next one will be the "Midnight Cucumber" ! I don't know if that discussion is within the scope of this forum~ ha ha!

Looks pretty cool but I'm gonna hold out for the "Afternoon Watermelon" version. 

• Haha 1