Sign in to follow this  
AndyjcClod

Konghead 6x6 motor upgrade

Hi Everyone I bought a Konghead 6x6 but its far too slow in stock. Whats a good brushed motor upgrade for this?   Oh and would I need to change pinion?

I watched a vid with a Superstock upgrade which looks punchier but wanted to check what you all thing is better before I part with money for a basher.

It is hard to find a better brushed motor than one of the Zs for reasonable money these days. I will say go with whatever (usually TZ) one of the Zs is cheapest. Their performance is broadly the same and unlikely to be noticed in such a basher.

• Like 1

Although I completely agree regarding the super stock upgrade I wOuld keep the smaller pinion as they can run hot with a lipo

• Like 2

I had a Dynamite branded 15T. Rushed in my King Yellow. It was pretty quick and punchy, it ran for years until it didn’t. Last weekend it just kinda just burned up and melted the motor wires while my wife was driving .

I replaced that with a spare Tamiya Torque tuned I had in spares and I am very pleased with it so far. 

• Like 1

Are you set on brushed? There are reasonably-priced brushless combos out there. I run a cheap brushless system in mine and it is excellent. Very long runtimes as well on a standard 5000 mah pack. 

• Like 1

I have an old Speed Passion Reventon Stock and a Hobbywing stock 10.5 in mine on 2S. It’s just right, fast enough to be fun (and funny!) without being silly. It has just enough rip to do a tiny wheelie.

• Like 1

I assume it's fully raced?  Tamiya 6x6s have so many bushings, they add a lot of resistance.  Replacing them all with bearings is like going from a silvercan to a Sport Tuned.  If you add a Sport Tuned to the bearing upgrade, it would be like a SuperStock without ball bearings. No damage on the axles either, since nylon bushings end up damaging axles in the long run.  If you go with a faster motor, I would use a steel pinion of the smaller size.  If you go with a brushless, you could use a steel pinion of the bigger size.  

• Like 2