joshuaT

TT02 build quality

Someone mentioned in another thread that Tamiya even called the Grasshopper a "high performance" off roader so I decided to have a quick look up the various TT-02 boxings.

TT-02D/R/RR/S/SR - 4WD Racing Car

TT-02 base/SRX - 4WD High Performance Racing Car.

Make of it what you will. 🤷

• Like 1

Probobably if you compare performance/ price ratio, basic TT-02 will be better. Maybe that is the reason why base is high performance :D

• Like 1

Maybe it's high-performance for their sales department :)

I really like the TT-02. I've bought 15 of them over the years (plus 5 TT-01). They offer something other Tamiya cars don't: carefree running.

Do you want to approach that turn surrounded by concrete curbs at high-speed with a rally power-slide? I'll do it on my TT-02 but not on any of my other more expensive cars. The TT-02 is probably about as tough as the others, but if it breaks it's way cheaper and parts easier to find. TT-01/2 can fit hefty foam bumpers front & back.

How about trying modifications that chop/sacrifice parts? Same as above, you can do it without fear, remorse or regret.

I find the issue of suspension slop overrated. Yes, it does look sloppy when you have it in your hands, but in real-world practice it is not that bad. I also find the alloy suspension upgrade while helpful, not essential. You get very similar improvements by shimming the stock step-screws with aluminium foil (albeit with lower reliability). Replacing the links with turnbuckles + adding braces does help further, which I've done in all my cars for small cost.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alvinlwh said:

Someone mentioned in another thread that Tamiya even called the Grasshopper a "high performance" off roader so I decided to have a quick look up the various TT-02 boxings.

TT-02D/R/RR/S/SR - 4WD Racing Car

TT-02 base/SRX - 4WD High Performance Racing Car.

Make of it what you will. 🤷

That was me, but I doubt that any of those TT02s will "put me in the winners circle" like a re-re Brat! (Yes it really did say something silly about that).

Honestly, unless if a really good deal shows up, I'm done with on-road Tamiyas. It's just not my thing.

55 minutes ago, OoALEJOoO said:

Maybe it's high-performance for their sales department :)

I really like the TT-02. I've bought 15 of them over the years (plus 5 TT-01). They offer something other Tamiya cars don't: carefree running.

Do you want to approach that turn surrounded by concrete curbs at high-speed with a rally power-slide? I'll do it on my TT-02 but not on any of my other more expensive cars.

Oh I'm sure, the hop up department will likely attest to their own "high performance" too!

The thing is, for carefree bashing I can do all of that with plenty of other cheap Tamiyas, but without fiddling about steering or searching for lost dog bones.

2 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

But the OP wants to stick with Tamiya.

Which when the same parts are  totalled up, will cost more than a base TT-02 kit.

He did mention that, but others also mentioned that it would cost a lot of money “to make a TT-02 hobby-grade”. Those people did not mention sticking with Tamiya parts. I’m here telling you guys that a TT-02 can be made into a decent runner for cheap. 

• Like 1

I can't vouch for off-brand parts, but I know that someone gave them a shot and compared them to name-brand parts.

I can say that Yeah Racing stuff is generally decent, my one and only gripe is whatever plastic they use for the eyelets on their shocks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kowalski86 said:

I can't vouch for off-brand parts, but I know that someone gave them a shot and compared them to name-brand parts.

IMHO, that experiment had gone too far with no brand stuff. At a very minimum, I will stick with stuff with some branding, like GPM, Xtra Speed... But still far cheaper than Tamiya.

• Like 1

While the steering on the base TT02 does feel very loose, it actually works just fine with a solid arm or high torque saver - even better when shimmed properly.  I run the expensive Hop-Up steering kit on  my Pro Spec car and the stock "shimmed" plastic steering on my Production class car and there's not much difference in the steering.  Of course the aluminum, bearing mounted setup is better but its not exponentially better.  It does bother me with how loose it feels, but when driving its not that noticeable. 

I like my SRX as well and that has the stock plastic setup but with adjustable links.  A bit less slop, but its still there.  When shimmed properly it works very well in that car.  Well enough that have haven't felt the need to upgrade to the expensive Tamiya kit to this point. 

I will say the stock TT02 Type E steering is nice and tight when shimmed properly.  I much prefer the TT01 E to the TT02 stock vs stock.  When you start upgrading though, the TT02 is the better performer.

• Like 4

I’m a big fan of the TT02 in all it’s forms.

The only upgrades that are needed are bearings and glueing the servo saver so it’s basically like a servo horn (cheap option), or buying a high torque servo saver. You can treat yourself to CVA shocks if running anywhere bumpy. Otherwise a little thick grease or packing in the pogos can go a long way.

I’ve raced a TT02 with just those extras and have beaten a range of  carbon top end touring cars at my local club. 

The slop really isn’t an issue. It makes the car feel slightly numb, but that is fine for bashing about on the street.  

As mentioned before you can shim the arms and add turnbuckles etc to reduce it if you want a more responsive feel. Also critically a car with minimal slop will be more susceptible to bad set-up decisions. 

I’ve seen many drivers struggle when moving up from a TT02 as a beginners car to racing an exact top end TC.  Usually I try to set the car up for them as a nice base carpet set-up, but they have to be on the maintenance as sometimes even the lightest tap can knock a cars alignment out of shape.

As to modifications there are loads for the TT02.. It can be a lot of different things for a lot of different people with a range of different budgets. IMHO this makes it the best Rc car out there.

In stock kit form your scale looking mustang will be great at sliding around on the street. My advice is to just run it and sample the pure unadulterated fun a TT02 can give.

• Like 10
  • Confused 1

There you go, stamp of approval from The RC Racer himself. I find it funny that most of the complaints are from those who don’t race or run at the track, or those with limited experience with other chassis to actually make a valid comparison. There is a young girl at our local track who smokes guys running expensive carbon chassis cars using only a TT-01. Practice makes you a better driver, not hopups. As the saying goes, it’s the indian, not the arrow. 

• Like 6

don't bring it anywhere near a carpet track

That was really interesting to watch to see the sorts of things people watch for when on a track and some of the alterations that can be made to alter the handling of a car. Thanks.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Gebbly said:

That was really interesting to watch to see the sorts of things people watch for when on a track and some of the alterations that can be made to alter the handling of a car. Thanks.

Anytime, I do like Rex's carpet track series myself. Hope he tries it with a Fazer or V100 sometime.

Just don't bring it anywhere near a carpet track.

I guess I should tell that to the bunch of guys here who run in the TT02 class on carpet. But then again they might think I’m crazy because none of them encounter any problems on carpet

What's wrong with a TT02 on carpet?  I run in both the Pro Spec & TT02 Production class and the cars handle great on carpet.   As long as you get the sidewall glue right, but that goes for any car on carpet.

19 minutes ago, 87lc2 said:

What's wrong with a TT02 on carpet?

Dogbones popping out if you hit anything, and the "walk of shame" to retrieve them. That's what I wanted to highlight with that video.

A lot of the handling issues were from running a spool up front, which I can say from experience does cause some unwanted side effects without the right setup.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

Dogbones popping out if you hit anything, and the "walk of shame" to retrieve them.

True, I'd never run a TT02 without universals in a race setting, haha.  Even in the Production (stock) class we run front universals.  With that and an old shock piston used in place of the lower knuckle spacer no more losing dogbones/outputs or having the knuckles pop out. 

I would agree that running a stock TT02 is an exercise in frustration...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, 87lc2 said:

I would agree that running a stock TT02 is an exercise in frustration...

Probably, unless if it's some sort of wacky "rwd" class.

On the other hand, they ran a TT01E in that series that popped one dogbone, but was otherwise fairly bulletproof iirc.

The way I see it, there are two school of thoughts for the supporters to this. The TT-02 can be:

1) Great race car that is can be very modified and tuned to be exceptional. Yes, I had seen The RC Racer guide and quite frankly, the amount of cost to put everything right based on that guide on the TT-02 is hilarious.

2) Great budget car that don't need anything except bearings.

Then there are the non- supporters who will never see this as more than a toy grade chassis.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

Probably, unless if it's some sort of wacky "rwd" class.

On the other hand, they ran a TT01E in that series that popped one dogbone, but was otherwise fairly bulletproof iirc.

My Euro Truck is a TT01 Type E and have not had a single issue with it.  I have said it before - I think stock vs stock the TT01 E is better (and more reliable) than the TT02.  In fact, I just bought another TT01 E kit to run in the production class to see if its actually better than the TT02.  Will definitely need less upgrades out of the box, but will it be as quick?  I guess we'll see :) 

• Like 3

I just recently built the TT-02 Mustang kit. I am not a racer, but I do like to tinker. I also struggled forever to get my TT-01E and TT-02 cars to handle the way I wanted.

I rated the hop up impact (High, Medium, Low) of the steering, stability, and drivability of my TT-01E & TT-02 from my experience.

* Low - 64T Spur (TB03 I believe - I had to order from HK) and 29T Pinion - 5.74 FDR
* Low - 12KG high torque servo (Amazon Special)
* Low - Hobbywing Quicrun ESC with 13.5T motor
* Low - Tamiya Aluminum motor mount
* Low - Tamiya aluminum hex hubs

* Medium - Yeah racing universals/outdrives
* Medium - Tamiya Aluminum propeller shaft and drive cups
* Medium - Tamiya aluminum steering w/turnbuckles 
* Medium - Tamiya high torque servo saver
* Medium - Tamiya aluminum server mount
* Medium - Full ball bearings

* High - Yeah Racing 2 Degree Toe in rear uprights
* High - Tamiya TT-02 Mini CVAs with 2 hole piston up front and 3 hole piston in the rear with around 2MM of rear droop 
* High - Contact 26MM foam tires (37)  in front and 30MM (35) tires in rear (you have to use some 5MM shims to get the tires to clear the rear arms)
* High - Shims everywhere I could find steering slop

Amazing handling in the straights, for the kind of cornering I do it is sufficient - definitely not a suited for a highly technical short track. My diff is completely stock.

Having gone through enormous expense, trial and error, I would recommended the following for a street racer: ball bearings, CVA shocks, foam tires, and shims. The kit included HW1060 is great. I think the Torque Tuned (and Sport Tuned) motor is underrated, especially if you use a 3S lipo!

• Like 6

On 9/24/2023 at 4:03 PM, TurnipJF said:

I think the TT-02 gets a lot of hate because of how basic the base spec version is - and I agree, it is very basic indeed. 

Having learned my lesson from having spent way too much upgrading base spec TT-01s, I went straight to the TT-02 Type S, which doesn't need much to bring it to the same level of performance as a TB-03 - quite a respectable club level racer. 

I too run a Type S; only a few upgrades here and there (ie aluminum driveshaft/drive cup, YeahRacing motor mount, a differential locker, etc.

• Like 1

Just today I had an amusing discussion on TT-02s with a chap at a hobby store.

So when people buy TT-02s at the shop, they don't always know that they're kits, their solution? Pay tthe shop $150 to build it.

$150 Can get you a lot of hop-ups...or a second TT-02.

51 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

Just today I had an amusing discussion on TT-02s with a chap at a hobby store.

So when people buy TT-02s at the shop, they don't always know that they're kits, their solution? Pay tthe shop $150 to build it.

$150 Can get you a lot of hop-ups...or a second TT-02.

Local shop by me is like that.  Owner tells me 7/10 kits they sell the customer pays them to build/paint.  Seems crazy to me but I guess everyone's different.  I specifically seek out kits so I can build them, I'd never buy an RTR. 

• Like 1