Mad Ax

Hillwalking with an RC Truck

We found a fairy house.  Apparently this is number 2, but I couldn't find number 1.

sm_PB250261.jpeg

The moon came up just before sunset to help light our way into the evening.

sm_PB250267.jpeg

I spent a lot of time just taking moody artistic shots, which probably explains why my pace was only 2.1mph.

sm_PB250281.jpeg

sm_PB250282.jpeg

• Like 3

By the time I was out of the woods, the sun had set.  I was expecting a good sunset, and the horizon was looking nicely orange

sm_PB250284.jpeg

But some heavier cloud moved in and it never quite materialised

sm_PB250285.jpeg

Somehow I picked up some really heavy mud on the tyres, and this continued to grow until they were like giant donuts

sm_PB250286.jpeg

sm_PB250287.jpeg

• Like 2

This is about as good as the sunset got.  Sometimes the colours like that stretch up right over where the darkest clouds are

sm_PB250291.jpeg

A part of the field was still frosty, and the wheels picked it up and turned white.

sm_PB250292.jpeg

Not long after that it got completely dark, so I put the camera away.  I realised I'd been out longer than planned, and although I'd taken a shorter route I was still going to be back late, so I cut across the longer grass and harder terrain of the valley floor.  I was about a mile from the van when the battery dumped, having lasted only 5.8 miles - I got almost a mile more out of the same pack last time I was out.  This time I'd had the lights on since I left the van, which probably didn't help, plus some deep leaves and long grass to pass through, plus the cooler temps may play a part also.

Still, it was a good walk, the scenery was fantastic and my thermal leggings and Jack Wolfskin jacket kept me warm without wearing too much bulk.

Back at the van, I tried to remove some weird-looking goo from the truck, before I realised it was ice.

sm_PB250295.jpeg

Well, there it is, folks.  I'll probably be out for another walk this Friday, although I'm considering leaving the truck behind for a while and focussing on enjoying the countryside again.

• Like 3

I didn't head out walking this week, as I was busy with present wrapping, and what with bad weather and early sunsets, it just didn't seem worth the drive to the hills.

However, I did go out last week, when it was nicely fresh and the world was coated with a blanket of frost.  I took the BOM with me, but mostly got caught up in taking photos of the scenery.  All 84 photos are available here, if you want to see them:

https://tcphotos.net/album/Z2xl

Here are my favourites.  Looking south from the water tower where I park, across the military training ground.  This section is accessible to the public, and a while after taking this photo I'll be over where those frost-coated trees are.

sm_PC010003.jpeg

These are out-of-focus shots, but the mud here has a strange property, and it wants to stick to the tyres.  The whole area is a natural chalk ridge, I'm guessing the soil is clay?

sm_PC010005.jpeg

sm_PC010009.jpeg

There was a special quality to the light.  It wasn't long before sunset when I took this, but somehow it felt much earlier, as if the mist was retaining the light.

sm_PC010011.jpeg

• Like 1

That's one way to increase the gearing.

sm_PC010014.jpeg

Getting closer to those trees I mentioned

sm_PC010017.jpeg

sm_PC010022.jpeg

Good job I didn't bring any military vehicles

sm_PC010025.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

sm_PC010029.jpeg

sm_PC010030.jpeg

sm_PC010044.jpeg

Those white trees I mentioned earlier?  Here we're entering the copse from the north side

sm_PC010048.jpeg

Once we're on the south side, there's no frost.  This is British weather in a nutshell.  Hovering constantly on the brink of two opposites.

sm_PC010050.jpeg

• Like 2

I very almost got the truck stuck in the middle of here...

sm_PC010051.jpeg

sm_PC010055.jpeg

sm_PC010057.jpeg

Just outside the woods I found some frozen puddles.  On the previous week's walk the ice wasn't strong enough to support an RC truck, but it was just a little cooler this week.

sm_PC010058.jpeg

sm_PC010062.jpeg

• Like 2

It was only just strong enough here, and cracked in a few places.

sm_PC010066.jpeg

sm_PC010068.jpeg

I wonder if anyone was confused by these trails?

sm_PC010070.jpeg

As the light faded and the mist descended, it got harder to take pics that weren't blurred.  There's something special about a misty landscape, especially one as empty as a military training ground.  Here we're right up against the border.  Those little white marks by the trees are the Keep Out signs.

sm_PC010074.jpeg

sm_PC010075.jpeg

• Like 1

I put the camera away shortly after, as the sun had set and it soon got too dark to even see clearly.

At the end of the night I'd find some more ice.  This was quite a big puddle and it was well frozen.

sm_PC010085.jpeg

sm_PC010086.jpeg

Sadly even on 3S the BOM doesn't have the wheelspeed for proper donuts, but I did a few cheeky slides before I headed for home.  Only around 4ish miles this week, but with the mist descending it really was too dark to enjoy it, so I headed back early and smashed down a pizza instead.

• Like 3

Another fine documented BOM adventure. Thanks. 

Would you mind other people posting pics of their "Hill climbing and other RC adventures" in this thread?

10 hours ago, Tamiyastef said:

Would you mind other people posting pics of their "Hill climbing and other RC adventures" in this thread?

Not at all, let's make it a combined "where I went with my truck" thread :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1