LongCatisReal

Classic Body rebuild : vr6 Golf

Most bits are filed down, or used a dremel for the heavy works and finally sanded down with 1500 for a smooth surface. 

It will not be perfect ( still testing and checking results ) it would be a waste to buy everything to fix it, but in my case I had 4 spray cans left ( ps-1 ps-5 ) 

The only thing I want to buy for this is some 3d stickers ( for the lights ) and matte ps spray as these will be used for the bumper parts ( maybe also window trims ) 

IMG_8638.jpg

• Like 5

It is not perfect, I can repeat the process of adding material and sanding down. 

I think I will try and find some matte ps paint of finish for the bumper parts.  

The results are approximately 2 thick layers of ps-5  

IMG_8639.jpg

IMG_8640.jpg

• Like 3

Your stubbornness is really paying off. In a world where people throw away first then buy something else this is a very refreshing thread.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Pylon80 said:

Your stubbornness is really paying off. In a world where people throw away first then buy something else this is a very refreshing thread.

Thank you, I have been creative all my life so restoring something is always an option. 
In this case it's a classic car body you cannot find easily. 

If the restore would be 100% with no marks or faults I would not dare to use it and even sell it off maybe, but in this case I think it will be a nice addition to my ff-03(now ff-03s )

• Like 2

You've done a great job on this - I am really surprised how much one actually can do (obviously with a lot of patience and skill). Future reference material. :)

• Like 1

Just wow, incredible save. And great taste of shell to do it to. Don’t see many of these.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, LongCatisReal said:

Thank you, I have been creative all my life so restoring something is always an option. 
In this case it's a classic car body you cannot find easily. 

If the restore would be 100% with no marks or faults I would not dare to use it and even sell it off maybe, but in this case I think it will be a nice addition to my ff-03(now ff-03s )

I admit that reading your thread made me wish for a really beat up, damaged, Porsche 911 GT2 shell (very rare) that someone would give away. That won't happen :D but it would be something I would love to try.

• Like 1

I am happy with the results. 

Windows are still not perfect other than the front window. 
There are still small areas that might need a good sanding down. 

Best  I can do now is to leave it to cure / dry completely, the paint is unevenly structured ( because of the weather ) so some areas look matte while some look shiny. 
I will leave it for 24/48 hours and then give the body a good twist and maybe few taps to see how it all holds up. 

What really bothers me is the following : 

Rear wheels are close to back bumper, leaving an unusual gap in front area & the sides bulging out ( I have had this issue with a off brand body where the structure is not that great and the sides would pop out more ) 

Other then that I will try and create light buckets for the car and see if I can get that sorted. 

IMG_8646.jpg

IMG_8647.jpg

IMG_8645.jpg

IMG_8643.jpg

IMG_8644.jpg

• Like 2

So lets start with the list : 

Repolishing windows with smaller tools 'great results' 
only cons rear window will need a harder buff / but it comes with a risk to deform it if it gets too hot so its a no go 

After that I found a suitable damper set for my ff-03 ( for outside runs ) I do not wanna damage the TRF Damper set. 

The body has been sanded again on the areas it needed and reworking ( for example creating the lines of the bumper in the front left corner ) 
Redid the body holes as I ( again ) did not get it correct first time. 
The rear of the body does have more flex inward if I say it correct but I have added some stronger points with glue and reinforcing tape so the body does not pull weird ( the sides budging outward is fixed a little for no ) 

Only thing I want to make is a inbuild mudflap for the wheels so the inside will stay nice ( there will be a pov camera from the inside ) 

I still need to swap the front steering set for upgrade/carbon and alu as there is too much slop in front. 

IMG_8674[1].jpg

IMG_8729[1].jpg

IMG_8731[1].jpg

IMG_8780.jpg

• Like 2

I also got to rebuild the TL-01 also a very practical chassis for its time and in really good condition only added new rubbers and removed servo speed controller. 

46ECF51E-71D9-488E-8B36-476D29497415.thumb.jpeg.4727312a4f3183f9bdef4bfb2d038260.jpeg

• Like 1

Final results. 

It is all covered with PS-55 

I used XF-85 for the bumper & trim parts but there are not visible that good after the PS layer. 

Most of the body is done with PS-5 and on top of it brushed with TS black and XF-85 for the trims. 

To be fair I am very happy with the result as I put a ton of glue and time in this body but there are many spots where I am not happy but just cannot put too much time in it anymore. 
I did found a new in box FF-01 vr6 set on a second hand site so there is a change I might buy and build the real deal later on.

As for now only thing left are creating running lights and that it for the vr6 body. 

IMG_8826-min.JPG

IMG_8832-min.JPG

• Like 4