LongCatisReal

Classic Body rebuild : vr6 Golf

While looking for body's for my ff-03 I came across a vr6 body , completely painted black, missing stickers and broken bits that fell off later while stripping the paint. 

Nice thing is that it came in the original body box. 

I have stripped the paint
Sanded windows and few parts that had glue on them or had to much haze ( I would love to leave the windows clear ) 
Unable to find any decals for the car but like my Opel Vectra I might be able to build lights and paint the trim parts. 

I am unsure what color to use, I would love the original purple/aubergine color ( PS18 looks neat ) otherwise it will be the same as my Opel ( gun grey I think it was ) 

Again for some reason I am unable to add many pictures, I will try and figure if I can hyperlink them on here to share the process of this nice find. 

IMG_8366-min.JPG

• Like 4

Many bits are brittle and came off as said before. 

I feel like repairing the body with reinforcing cement from the inside and paint from the outside. 
Any one here got tips for painting from the outside ? also do I need clear coat on top of it ?

IMG_8368-min.JPG

A little bit of process ( very hard as its missing small parts in corners and such ) 

If anyone can help, I would love to know what kind of filler I can use for the small holes in polycarbonate. 
The reinforcing cement is not great for fills but good to keep the body flexible and in piece. 

IMG_8408-min.JPG

The body came in box and the original cutout underneath ( which helped in this case to keep the car in shape while reconstructing the broken bits ) 

The black stuff in the corner is sadly enough some strong type of glue I could not get rid of ( might grind it off later when the corners are sturdy as I want to create realistic lights on this model ) 
The other black bits are outside the body ( from the paint killer ) so when it is all dry and sturdy I will be able to wipe it off safely ( back window is going to be tough as you can see in the pic the top is missing bits / very brittle ) 

IMG_8406-min.JPG

Here is a early result of sanding the front window ( kovax sandpaper and polishing with compound ) 
|I have restored my dad's headlights of his car so pretty much the same process only need to be more careful.

Sandpaper Kovax k800 / k1200 / k1500 
Compound 3m heavy cut 

Polishing by hand & machine ( the machine can only get the front window as the pads are too big ) 

When the restore process of the broken / brittle parts are done I will polish all the windows and hopefully get them clear as new ( normally possible but with this body it is atm way too brittle ) 

IMG_8394-min.JPG

• Like 3

You are doing a fantastic job of bringing this back to life 👏

Hopefully some other TC’ers can help with your question about filler types.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LongCatisReal said:

Any one here got tips for painting from the outside ? also do I need clear coat on top of it ?

What a nice and ambitious project! For painting from the outside you could use PS paint as a primer and TS paint for finishing. I've didn't tried it yet by myself but read about it several times.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info guys. 

I guess for it to stick I will use ps paint on outside, but I wont TS over it ( just secondary layer for the color effect & ps clear ) I have tried acryllic but that has not good flex and chips loose 'inside painted'

It was not my intention to completely rebuild all broken bits, but while cleaning most of them broke off ( paint was holding up most of the brittle areas ) 

Here so progress pics of what I have done. 

IMG_8406-min.JPG

IMG_8407-min.JPG

I think we are halfway there. 

Most side parts reinforced ( holding the cracks ) 
Rear bumper and side alignment looks good ( no weird curves or shapes, but at the final paint job this will be visible ) 
The rear bumper also has a thicker lexan strip across for rigidity ( the flex is not too huge so holds up nice ) 
Need to fix front bumper lip/lower ( 75% of the bits are recovered ) otherwise I will add lexan from old bodies and cutouts

I did find my gtr spoke wheels with 1 offset, so if they match nice I wont need to buy new ones. 

Finally
While it was not the real plan to restore the body this much it just happened like that and I am stubborn, I really feel like it would be a great loss not to revive this body as its from 95 I guess. 

IMG_8431-min.JPG

IMG_8436-min.JPG

• Like 1

The body can be considered done. 

I will look for some type of bondo or epoxy for the small holes ( there are few on bumper / corners / licence plate area etc )

The original parts were like a puzzle and missing bits like explained before, I am unable to post some pics as I get a -200 error. 

The lower part of the front bumper was cut clean so I could insert a strip of lexan ( first pic ) and a flat one later below that. 
It looks good enough for me now, after bondo/filler and paint we will see if any more details are needed. 

IMG_8442-min.JPG

IMG_8444-min.JPG

IMG_8447-min.JPG

IMG_8449-min.JPG

IMG_8451-min.JPG

The cutout of the original golf can be seen under and I used that one as a reference for the body shape

Edited by LongCatisReal
added info
  • Like 2

Yesterday I was unable to find me some good filler for the holes so I ordered some transparent epoxy ( hopefully this will do the job ) 
The last big bit I have finished is the spoiler / window area. 

The spoiler holds most of the lexan and the rear window is the thinnest piece of lexan you can find on this model, I have filled the gap with reinforcing cement and added fiber to hold it. 
If the epoxy arrives I can fill the gap ( the spoiler ) and it will have a strong hold on the rear window, finally giving me the chance to buff / sand that rear window. 

This should be the final bit of completing the body / holes , when this is done I will paint the body white so it will have a base layer of PS paint. 

IMG_8463-min.JPG

IMG_8464-min.JPG

IMG_8465-min.JPG

IMG_8466-min.JPG

• Like 1

Got me the following done lately 

Paint body lightly where needed to see what areas need fixing or adding material to. 

Try out tamiya cement ( too soft )  not the one on the picture
Try out epoxy for plastics ( a bit harder ) 
Try out uv hardened glue set ( hard like lexan can be used to even fill a body post hole ) this means I can also fix my opel vectra body holes as mine are not evenly drilled I fear. 

Cleaned up also old black glue that was behind the taillight corner

The green areas that light up under uv is the epoxy glue glowing. 

I feel like this body can be rebuild really good now ( if those parts do hold up ) 

When this is done I will be picking the colors. 

( I do want the bumper and plastic trims to be black so doing the car completely black will hide those details. 

IMG_8479-min.JPG

IMG_8478-min.JPG

IMG_8509-min.JPG

IMG_8507-min.JPG

IMG_8510-min.JPG

IMG_8511-min.JPG

IMG_8521-min.JPG

IMG_8523-min.JPG

IMG_8513-min.JPG

IMG_8516-min.JPG

IMG_8518-min.JPG

Edited by LongCatisReal
added info glue
  • Like 1

If anyone is looking a good glue to close off holes / body post holes in their body I would say this is the way to go. 
I just added tape from the inside on 3 holes behind my golf vr6 body and filled/dripped from the top and put the uv on. 
Sand it down and add again if more is needed. 

Really good stuff, and it stays transparent. 

71fvNGCvRUL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 2

Sanding down the correct shapes/contours from outside with uv glue

It still needs work as the alignment of the rear is not perfect ( you can see I closed the body holes in the back ) the glue looks like a miracle ( it has flex but is like glass ) 
Please mind that the angle does make it look good but the rear bumper is too close to the wheels ( just scraping or 1mm )  I did everything I could with the ff-03 to  L / M / S but still cannot find a sweet spot. 

Is it possible that the body fit a ff-01 better then my ff-03 ? ( I feel like my body posts are crooked  ) 

And the box underneath is a complete original TL-01 I bought today ( missing body only ) 
I think finding the original body with stickers is going to be the hardest part ...

IMG_8564-min.JPG

IMG_8563-min.JPG

I.JPG

Edited by LongCatisReal
Could not upload last image ( renamed / retried )
  • Like 1

I'm loving this restore project, I have a couple of old bodies I'd like to repair too and this is giving me lots of ideas.

Adding material / sanding / polishing 'windows' etc 

IMG_8611-min.JPG

Rear window was sanded down and polished  ( it is still not as good as front or sides but acceptable ) there is not much material to work with

IMG_8612-min.JPG

Many spots are added and raised with uv glue ( pretty fun stuff, going to snap 100% if you hit the body ) 

IMG_8623-min.JPG

I used light coat Tamiya PS-1 to act as a cover to display the lines and bad spots  ( this could be a crack or uneven filled area as its transparent )

IMG_8624-min.JPG

The raised spots are reinforcing cement ( as I sanded it all down ) its too flexible/soft on the outside. 

IMG_8629-min.JPG

Sanded state

IMG_8631-min.JPG

Front corner has the most material added, so either this will survive everything or will be the first spot to completely break off the body. 
The more I try to fix, the less I think I will take it out ( if all goes well )

• Like 1