Jump to content
TURBOdrive

XV-02 Fully Functional Disc Brake, Handbrake and Redesigned Cooling System

Recommended Posts

After the Drum brake for Tamiya semi, a few gens of upgrade of my disc brake designs(I will post them up in these days), and the latest version is done.

Here's the finished pic:

image.thumb.png.35de5bd2255572f73d12b45116a542c2.pngimage.png.63bb2861a2dd945600243755a7d4f01e.png

 

and the road test video(I'm new to this forum, not sure if I shared correctly)

https://youtu.be/Us90L_eQiQg?si=UFM6fNTR_ckeXYAJ

 

Some designing and building process pics:

image.png.7abf272cd196b6e1843fe8178a405195.png

 The front space is very limited to fit the caliper and the mountings.

 

image.png.7098b8fec1b609690b70a34d29e4ad4a.png

2 servos mount on the rear, 1for front, 1 for the rear, and the rear braking servo can be controlled independently to act like the handbrake. And that's the reason I choose XV02 chassis, it can be upgraded the central-diff.   The lever on the servo horn is to balance the pulling force between 2 wheels.

image.png.c91896d66e761ac3df56847e5ba593b0.pngimage.png.d5fcf4941a1867db9deb4486e2e47fb3.png

the motor cover is for scure the "heat pipes" . Because the XV02 has the dust cover on the chassis may reduce the motor's cooling efficiency, so I designed the heat pipe colling system, and move the heat sink to the front.  

During in the test, the temp outside is 20℃, after 15 mins running,  the sensor on the motor cover indacated the temperature is 37, and when the car stopped, the temperature went up to 39 in less then 1 min, because the stopped car can't let the air run thrugh the heat sink.  And also means that this cooling system is very efficent. 

In fact there are also 2 cooling fans behind the heat sink , but the winter is comming, and I'm lazy, so I didn't connect it to the power supply.

image.png.788f27fd5c9fbd6300c54cd406229744.pngimage.png.66d58d7fdb804058bcdbbb8a440dd8b6.pngimage.png.ba313a6da9cc080086b2f35da7e45930.png

Finally try to add some details. (not very good at the paint job, try to do it better next time)

 

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TURBOdrive said:

 

image.png.63bb2861a2dd945600243755a7d4f01e.png

 

image.png.7abf272cd196b6e1843fe8178a405195.png

 

image.png.d5fcf4941a1867db9deb4486e2e47fb3.png

 

image.png.ba313a6da9cc080086b2f35da7e45930.png

Finally try to add some details. (not very good at the paint job, try to do it better next time)

 

Nice job, needs some LED's in there somewhere?. Sorry, couldn't remove unwanted pics in the quote.

iungMdn.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actual working disc brakes?! Amazing!

How do you control the brakes from the transmitter?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's always great to see engineering brought into the hobby. Cooling the motor is a great idea, what material did you use for the part that attaches to the motor? Aluminum or copper would be best.

Regarding the disc-brakes, how is their performance? DC motor braking is not particularly strong, I suspect that the disc-brakes would greatly improve the stopping distance by a large margin.

Try using Tamiya's M2 tires. This rubber compound makes amazing squealing sounds when cornering, similar to real road-cars, and I anticipate that when using your disc-brakes it would create an incredible experience.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, OoALEJOoO said:

It's always great to see engineering brought into the hobby. Cooling the motor is a great idea, what material did you use for the part that attaches to the motor? Aluminum or copper would be best.

Regarding the disc-brakes, how is their performance? DC motor braking is not particularly strong, I suspect that the disc-brakes would greatly improve the stopping distance by a large margin.

Try using Tamiya's M2 tires. This rubber compound makes amazing squealing sounds when cornering, similar to real road-cars, and I anticipate that when using your disc-brakes it would create an incredible experience.

Yes the motor  cooling cover is aluminum (3D printed);  and the braking force is iedal which all wheels can be locked on the high grip roads.

Thx for the tire advice and I'll try that.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Gebbly said:

Actual working disc brakes?! Amazing!

How do you control the brakes from the transmitter?

Thanks, the brake servos are connected to the 3rd and 4th channel and mix-controlled with the throttle channel, then choose another botton to control the handbrake servo.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2023 at 6:40 AM, TURBOdrive said:

After the Drum brake for Tamiya semi, a few gens of upgrade of my disc brake designs(I will post them up in these days), and the latest version is done.

image.png.63bb2861a2dd945600243755a7d4f01e.png

Holy Moly! Excellent work!👍🏻

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...