curtmcgirt

Hard shell + Clear + decals

Building the Tyrrell F1 six-wheeler. Most of the discussion on the internet about "Tamiya clear coat and decals" is regarding static models with water slide decals. Obviously rc decals are thicker. Part of me wants to put the clear coat on after the decals and make the surface as smooth as possible with no decal edges. Is this realistic? Thoughts or tips? 

If you wack the clear coat on thick, the edge of the sticker will barely be visible. If you go really thick, it will disappear. However that carry the risk of runs and ruining all your work.

Stickers on the 1:10

hh5dZPa.jpg

Decals on the 1:20

yERPINR.jpg

(Zoom in)

There are no overcoat on the decals (just decal set solutions) but 3 or 4 heavy coats of clear on the stickers through an airbrush. Note that heavy coat from an airbrush will be about equal to a regular coat from a spray can.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you. On the 1/10, How long did you wait after base coat to add decals? How long did you wait to spray the first clear coat? How much time between clear coats? 

I see a lot of warnings about doing light coats of clear initially, in order to let the solvent evaporate before it "attacks" the decals - is that caveat really meant for static decals, as opposed to rc stickers, or does it apply to both? 

Note: I'm using ts13 cans. 

Edited by curtmcgirt

32 minutes ago, curtmcgirt said:

Thank you. On the 1/10, How long did you wait after base coat to add decals? How long did you wait to spray the first clear coat? How much time between clear coats? 

I see a lot of warnings about doing light coats of clear initially, in order to let the solvent evaporate before it "attacks" the decals - is that caveat really meant for static decals, as opposed to rc stickers, or does it apply to both? 

Note: I'm using ts13 cans. 

Decals or stickers? In most modelling circle, decals are the markings you soak in water to free them first before applying them. Stickers are, well, stickers. Peel and stick. Some will like to call them otherwise and this is when confusion arises. When I pointed out these terms shouldn't be misused, it upset some people. 🤷 

So with that out of the way, there are no decals in the 1:10. They are all stickers. Thick vinyl stickers.

The warning you see about decals, waiting and paint attacking applies for decals not stickers.

So there is no worries about paint attacking the stickers. What you need to worry about is spray paint applied from a spray can, can take a very long time to harden. This will be a problem as you will be handling the body, holding it rather firmly, when applying stickers. If it is not fully harden, can end up with fingerprints. Be careful that "touch dry" does not mean harden paint. Depending on your weather I will suggest leaving the base blue or white coat to harden fully for 3 - 7 days before applying the stickers. After that, just hit it with as much clear as you like/can without runs.

Further note: while there should be little need for the stickers to form to complex surfaces on the P34, if you have difficulties getting the stickers to the right position, flood the surface with warm water mixed with some washing up liquid. This will allow you to slide, lift and reposition the stickers into the final position. Once in position, soak up the water with a paper towel and hit it with a hair dryer while making sure no air bubbles get trapped below the sticker. The hair dryer will also help the sticker stick better.

Working with real decals will be a completely different process.

• Like 2

Yep. Sorry. Incorrectly equating decals and stickers, even in the post's title. I'm only working with *stickers here . Thanks again. I finished the base coats last night. So I'll let them sit. Curious what blue you used? Ts-15 (and ps-4 on lexan, for that matter) aways seem to turn out darker than I want. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, curtmcgirt said:

Curious what blue you used? Ts-15 (and ps-4 on lexan, for that matter) aways seem to turn out darker than I want. 

I used Mr Color C65 for the blue and C156 for the white on Mr Surfacer White 1000 base.

• Like 1