stockae92

About to start building my Astute 2022, any tips?

About to start building my Astute 2022, any tips?

Building it stock, looking to build it with mild brushless. haven't decided yet. 

Just for bashing, not racing.

I've not built mine yet, but you'll want the aluminum diff nut hop up (22029) to avoid stripping the car down after the first 5 minutes of running...

• Like 1

As @Twinfan said, the aluminum diff nut is the only "must have"..... that and a bit of patience for your electronics/wiring install.

• Like 1

The brushless motors with the wires sticking straight out the side may be difficult to fit - they didn't put enough room for motor wiring access.

You’ll need the diff nut, the ball diff is basically identical to a trf201x ball diff, I run a season racing stock and never needed to touch it, it’s a very good ball diff. 

a slipper clutch is a good idea to help on slippery surfaces and reduces wheelies when landing jumps with the power on. 

I ran a hobbywing v10 g4 in stock class, i had no issues mounting it with its top mounted binding posts. I’m not sure why people keep saying that top wire motors can’t fit, although there may not be enough room if you want to run tubes on the motor instead of directly soldering. 

It’s a good little car, I enjoyed racing it in stock class last season. 

4 hours ago, Juls1 said:

I ran a hobbywing v10 g4 in stock class, i had no issues mounting it with its top mounted binding posts. I’m not sure why people keep saying that top wire motors can’t fit, although there may not be enough room if you want to run tubes on the motor instead of directly soldering. 

I had to file the tabs on my Trackstar down and re-solder the wires to angle away from the chassis.  With the stock spur and pinion the motor sits in just the wrong position, without good clearance to one side or the other.  It sounds like with the slipper, maybe the motor went off to one side enough to help with wire routing?

16 hours ago, SlideWRX said:

I had to file the tabs on my Trackstar down and re-solder the wires to angle away from the chassis.  With the stock spur and pinion the motor sits in just the wrong position, without good clearance to one side or the other.  It sounds like with the slipper, maybe the motor went off to one side enough to help with wire routing?

The xerun motors. Have 6 mount holes, so technically 6 different directions the motor can mount. I now realise if you only have 2 mount holes in the motor, then yes you could struggle to find the sweet spot.