RichieRich

Grasshopper II maybe?

Years ago when I lived in the Bay Area, I bought a load of Tamiya parts for pennies on the dollar from a hobby shop that was closing down. There was a brand new Grasshopper II chassis in there along with with the A and C parts tree, a brand new set of transmission gears and some other random parts. These parts have been sitting in a box for 20+ years and made several moves with me. I thought I would eventually sell them but here we are.

This past Spring my oldest daughter decided she wants to 3D print stuff for her cosplay at Los Angeles ComicCon. So, I purchased a 3D printer with a 300 mm x 300 mm bed because we want to be able to print Mandalorian helmets. As I'm searching for random things to print in Thingiverse, I ran across YongHee Han from Korea. He has made some rather innovative parts to modify his Grasshopper II.

I'm like, wait, don't I have a brand new Grasshopper II chassis with assorted parts to play with? I do! As you can see, I've printed all the parts of YongHee's Mark 3 design which consists of a new gearbox, two trailing arms and two side mounts. I've printed in basic PLA+ just for fun. I think with the parts I have, I can assemble 90% of a functioning car minus a body. There are some bits I need such as spindles, a battery door and some other small parts. We'll see how this goes.

grasshopper2.jpg

• Like 11

Great idea for a build.  It's a kind of classic style.   Do you need to get some metal parts, dampers, gears etc?   Are you planning to use the Grasshopper body shell?

14 hours ago, Wheel_Nut said:

Great idea for a build.  It's a kind of classic style.   Do you need to get some metal parts, dampers, gears etc?   Are you planning to use the Grasshopper body shell?

I have dampers, gears, drive shafts, bearings. I have not made a comprehensive list of what I need. I'm not sure what body shell I will use. I do like the original Grasshopper body but since I'm not familiar with this series of buggies, I don't know if it will fit.

I took a pic of all the printed parts fitted to make sure they went together without any issues. Nothing is bolted together other than the bumper and front suspension arms. I think it looks kinda cool.

grasshopper3.jpg

• Like 9

Looks good!   Hopefully the rear suspension is tough enough.   I'm interested to see how you will connect the drive shafts and differential components etc.   I'm only visiting this site occasionally, but I will be back when I'm able to.

8 hours ago, RichieRich said:

I do like the original Grasshopper body but since I'm not familiar with this series of buggies, I don't know if it will fit.

I don't believe that the original Grasshopper body would work, it screws on. But if you want to run a custom lexan shell, that's fairly easy with just a few CC-01 body mounts and screws.

• Thanks 1

With it being the classic tamiya 3 post layout, quite a few bodies will fit. All of the Coro Coro Dragon bodies, for example. The Hornet body kinda fits. It's a little gappy at the front.

If you want that look the Rising Fighter fits perfectly, and can be painted and dressed up as a Hornet or Super Hornet very easily. 

I am one of the few people it seems who really likes the GH2 body. There are lots of options to make that your own too. The last rere Black Edition had some cool orange decals of the original design. I also helped MCI work out the Jnr Dress Up Decals to fit 10th scale, so there ard 3 sets of different designs on MCI if you search grasshopper 2. Would love to see that. 

• Like 3

After making sure everything fits correctly, I've gathered all of the parts to assemble the rear. There was a tiny bit of filing required to make sure bearings fit and that everything slotted together correctly. Mostly issues due to supports not coming off cleanly. In YongHee's build, he uses a Frog CVD set for the driveshafts. Since I added a Frog CVD set to my re-release Frog, I have a complete dogbone set that is not being used. Hopefully, using the dogbone set does not create any issues.

I the picture, there's a set of CC-01 shocks. These are about 70mm long which I think is about right for the rear. If I need anything longer, I have a complete set of 50520s that I can use. I just noticed I will have to replace the ball ends on the shock shafts with ones that work with the 5mm gold balls. I know I have a ton of those. Next picture should be a completely assembled rear end aside from wheels/tires. Also, I'm going to attach the resistor heat sink. Why not? :D

grasshopper4.jpg

• Like 4

On 10/24/2023 at 1:45 AM, ThunderDragonCy said:

With it being the classic tamiya 3 post layout, quite a few bodies will fit. All of the Coro Coro Dragon bodies, for example. The Hornet body kinda fits. It's a little gappy at the front.

If you want that look the Rising Fighter fits perfectly, and can be painted and dressed up as a Hornet or Super Hornet very easily. 

I am one of the few people it seems who really likes the GH2 body. There are lots of options to make that your own too.

Another alternative is to screw on some CC-01 body mounts, two at the back on the other side of the screw that holds the shocks (in place of the nuts), one up front.

Then, you can mount about a nice variety of lexan shells if you want something different. Thats how I made up a baja bug Frog.20231009_191411.thumb.jpg.83b1ad0b398b0e3d3c432f1b6fcc6a31.jpg

• Like 3

The rear end has been assembled. Everything seems to in order as the gears spin with no binding and the Frog dogbone/axle combo works with no issues. One thing I did notice is that this chassis is ridiculously flexy. I changed the CC-01 springs to something a little softer since I thought they were too hard. I may replace the integrated piston/shaft with a proper shock shaft and piston. For now, I just want to get this thing rolling.

One question for you guys, I could go three different ways with regards to wheels and tires:

1) Vintage Frog/Hornet five spokes

2) Original Grasshopper II/Striker eight spokes

3) More modern star-dish wheels

I don't own the eight spokes so I'd have to order those. What do you think? 1, 2 or 3?

grasshopper5.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, RichieRich said:

The rear end has been assembled. Everything seems to in order as the gears spin with no binding and the Frog dogbone/axle combo works with no issues. One thing I did notice is that this chassis is ridiculously flexy. I changed the CC-01 springs to something a little softer since I thought they were too hard. I may replace the integrated piston/shaft with a proper shock shaft and piston. For now, I just want to get this thing rolling.

One question for you guys, I could go three different ways with regards to wheels and tires:

1) Vintage Frog/Hornet five spokes

2) Original Grasshopper II/Striker eight spokes

3) More modern star-dish wheels

I don't own the eight spokes so I'd have to order those. What do you think? 1, 2 or 3?

grasshopper5.jpg

1 or these https://www.jcracingproducts.co.uk/tamiya/wild-one

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I really like JC Wheels. I have full sets on my Losi XX4 and my Ultima build. I don't normally order from there because they charge £18.00 for shipping. Not their fault, but for the price of their wheels and shipping, I can buy a complete set of wheels plus tires. Plus, this build is mostly stuff I already have.

This looks great! Looking forward to hearing how it runs. 

If you have the star dish and five spokes maybe give them both a go? Having extensively messed about with grasshopper 2s I find the stock type wheels look weird and too small to my eyes, because I always have 2.2s on mine. So, although not a massive fan of the star dish design I suspect they might look and work better.

However, for the sleeper look of it seeming fairly stock to the casual eye, but working much better because of the upgrades, there is probably something to be said for going old school. I had regular Super G wheels on Ultra G when I first ran it at the track. After 5 mins guy next to me on the rostrum said "I can't BELIEVE how well that Grasshopper moves. I remember them being rubbish!" I had to come clean but it made me smile. 

Pop up a pic of both. 

• Like 1

Oh and regarding chassis flex, it's fine once you have the hard shell on. Even using the body clips on the grasshopper 2 it's noticeably more stout with body on. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I had regular Super G wheels on Ultra G when I first ran it at the track.

I totally forgot about the Super G wheels! I like the way those look. What tires did you use with them? I will at least post a pic with the two sets of wheels that I currently have. If I don't like the way those look, I may have to buy the Super G or Striker wheels.

10 minutes ago, RichieRich said:

I totally forgot about the Super G wheels! I like the way those look. What tires did you use with them? I will at least post a pic with the two sets of wheels that I currently have. If I don't like the way those look, I may have to buy the Super G or Striker wheels.

Super G wheels are almost impossible to find in the neon colours, but the wheels themselves are just Wild One / Novafox type and bolt straight on. They are 2" rear so they work with any of the Hotshot series tyres or Manta Ray ones. The fronts are that weird 2.1 size and mine originally came with the rib/Spike which I think are Super Astute. The Wild One front tyres would work 

Did you decide on wheels yet?   For my Hornet build, I'm thinking to use 12mm hex adapters and some vintage Kyosho wheels.  

EDIT: After more investigation I discovered "JC Racing products" make a set of 2.2" wheels for vintage Tamiya cars such as Fox, Wild One, Grasshopper.   I ordered a set of those from the UK.

kyosho pepperpot wheel.jpg

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Saito2 said:

Hmmm, that pic looks familiar ;)

There probably aren't too many around with that body.  I hope you don't mind me borrowing part of your pic.

Do you think the Kyosho tyres and wheels would work well on a Hornet or Grasshopper?

1 hour ago, Wheel_Nut said:

There probably aren't too many around with that body.  I hope you don't mind me borrowing part of your pic.

Nah, I don't mind a bit. Glad it was useful to someone.

• Like 1

I have a question about the differential.    It appears to use the stock Grasshopper gear set, but the bevel output gear seems to be PLA custom build.   Is it simple a force-fit to the splines on the Frog output shafts?

If designing a custom gearbox, would it be better to use TA-01 gear set, or otherwise based on the complete Frog gear set?

2 hours ago, Wheel_Nut said:

I have a question about the differential.    It appears to use the stock Grasshopper gear set, but the bevel output gear seems to be PLA custom build.   Is it simple a force-fit to the splines on the Frog output shafts?

If designing a custom gearbox, would it be better to use TA-01 gear set, or otherwise based on the complete Frog gear set?

Yes, the build calls for the use of the stock Grasshopper gear set. The designer created a custom output bevel gear that needs to be printed. The new bevel gear has splines so it fits on the Frog output shafts. There's also I really small tube spacer that has to be printed to fit around the thin shaft attached to the output shaft and fit into the grasshopper diff gear.

I have no idea why the designer did not use a TA-01 or Frog gearset. I think he just wanted to use what he had on hand. Here's the link to his thingiverse page: https://www.thingiverse.com/miniguy71/designs

There's message option there. Also, I have not decided on what wheels to use yet. Right now, I'm building shocks as the CC01 CVAs I have on the back are too short. Need to move to a longer 50520 CVA.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your reply.   As you said, it makes sense to use the parts on hand!   I suppose there are endless possibilities for designers to try something new.

Here's where I am at now. I have pretty much used all the parts I have on hand. I removed the CC01 shocks in the rear and replaced them with the longer CVAs. I need to order a C parts tree and a set of front uprights. In my original post I said I had an A and C parts tree when I really had an A and B parts tree. For wheels and tires, I may just go with the stock set. That way it will look like a standard Grasshopper II but people will have to take a second look to realize that it's different.

grasshopper6.jpg

• Like 5

New parts came in a few days ago. Just needs electronics and a body then I can see how well these printed parts work. The only thing is that I have never driven a Grasshopper or Hornet before so I have no idea how to tell if drives better/worse than the original. Also, when I got the wheels and tires, I laughed. They are so small compared to today's 2.2 combos.

grasshopper8.jpg

grasshopper7.jpg

• Like 7