Grumpy pants

XV-01T Rebuild - Slow with Q’s! 😂

I have spectacularly under estimated the damage to my recently purchased XV01.

The car looks like it was built, run on the beach once, and then put away for many years.

Every single metal component is rusty and heavily corroded.

I took what I could apart last night, however crusty, rusty screws mean I’m only 45% through the strip down - the rest is stuck tight!

Apart from drilling the screws out, what else can I do?

My sonic cleaner is too small to fit the chassis in. 

I feel like leaving it in a bowl of something might help?  

4-F9-AB136-D2-B0-4-B9-D-AFF5-006832-D0-B

• Sad 1

Stuck, means that you cannot move them or slots are so damaged, that you do not have even chance to move screws?

19 minutes ago, skom25 said:

Stuck, means that you cannot move them or slots are so damaged, that you do not have even chance to move screws?

Exactly - 100% Correct ⬆️

If the heads are rounded then slot them with a dremel cut off wheel and they might unscrew.
Warming(I don’t meant hot) up the plastic a bit might help them not be so tight. 

Those look like they may disintegrate from a wrong look though so hopefully a “Pro Restorer” will have some better ideas than me  

• Thanks 1

Oooooft - that's been sat in a sea water bath for several years and had strategically placed cups of sand emptied over it at regular intervals!!!! :wacko:

My advice would be to wrap it up in a blanket with a brick, put it in a plastic bag, drive to the nearest river and lob it over the edge as you drive over without slowing down.

Alternatively......

Get your Dremel (other rotary tools are available) with a wire brush attachment and clean off as much of the rust and sand from the heads as possible. I reckon you will be surprised by how much of it sand grains rather than rust in there. Hopefully this will remove enough debris to get a screw driver in the heads. If you are strategic with which heads to attack, you might be able to just break down the chassis into smaller parts so you can get subassemblies in your sonic cleaner.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Distilled vinegar will dissolve rust too. Me and my mate use it to clean up old tools. I’m not gonna say it won’t damage the plastic as I can’t guarantee it but I don’t think that it will. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There are also tools, to remove damaged screws. It rotates opposite to thread rotation and unscrew it. I am just not sure, if so small diameter exists.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On real cars I use WD40/PB Blaster, 4-5 hours soak time, and heat.  But heat might melt plastic.. 

• Thanks 2

BTW. Someone has too much money, to leave model like that. It is not the cheapest RC on market...

• Like 1

I've dealt with some pretty rusty Traxxas stuff, rust is about as bad if not worse than dealing with brittle ABS.

You might be able to get away with some WD40, but otherwise this will be a lot of work. And you'll need new bearings, axles, etc 

• Thanks 1

Grinding the entire heads off of certain screws to free other parts to slip off might be a way to go in certain areas. You should be able to wind off the leftover screws with some pliers on the shafts. Not the cleverest but sometimes it’s down to what works. 

• Thanks 1

Those "easy out" things I've used with success but not on so small a screw and certainly not on so many (like lifetime about 3 uses, probably ~M5 size). I don't think it'll be easy to use them with consistent success over many M3 screws in plastic. But you never know. You might find the screws budge enough just on drilling them with a left hand bit that you can then get them out with screwdriver if your hole is small and only affects the very centre? I think if it were mine I'd do everything I could to try to get a screwdriver engaging well and get as many out as possible. Once you've treated the rust as much as possible a brand new JIS screwdriver might be a good start point. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you everyone for some great tips.

My thoughts are - 

Try vinegar 

Try Coke a Cola 

Then WD40

We got oven cleaner will it damage the plastic’s?

Maybe put it through the dishwasher? 

Any further thoughts anyone? 

Sorry you got a car in such poor condition - but it's a nice challenge and it will be all the more satisfying when you give it its second life!

If you feel like the screws are actually stuck i.e. harder than normal to remove (it's pretty clear that the original builder didn't care enough to use a thread rolling tap and grease, right? :D) you can try boiling water. 100deg is not enough to damage the plastic. The change in temperature has a tendency to unstuck any assembly as the plastic dilates around the screw - more than the screw itself. Roughly, plastic dilates about 10 times more than metal so there are reasons to be hopeful with this method.

Now regarding the screw heads: you have to deal with very damaged heads and the risk of stripping the heads when you try turning the screws :( I don't think you need to remove the rust with something acidic. There is enough material missing as it is. Making the damaged screws pretty won't return the missing metal. Instead I would simply try turning the screws carefully - some might come out. When you strip a head just STOP and make a slot with a Dremel. The sharper and thinner the slot the better! Then pick the flat screwdriver with the best fit (one that best 'clicks' in the slot) and try turning the screw again. If even that fails, or if there is no room to fit a Dremel without damaging the plastic, try drilling the head off. A drill press will be required to do any kind of accurate work unfortunately. I would use a 4mm bit and aim down the center obviously. Once you have snapped the drilled head off and disassembled the plastic parts you will still have to deal with the screw stubs left in the plastic. The best tool for that last part of the ordeal will be a very small pair of ViceGrip pliers to snap onto the stub and then slowly turn the screw out. Trying to hold pliers as you turn them will only cause more damage.

Let us know how it goes!

• Thanks 1

Wow, I think an MOT failure VW Beetle I restored had less rust on it than that 😱

Good luck with it

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

A bit more progress tonight 🐌 😂

image.jpg

Pepsi? I thought it is is Coca Cola that removes rust? 😁

• Haha 3

I put the chassis, etc through the dishwasher last night to try and remove some of the sand, salt and rusty crud. 
Not sure if it’s going to make any difference, but certainly worth a try 👍

image.jpg

Fingers crossed you can get those screws out. Assuming you can it looks pretty clean. Is this the truck version? Different arms and bumper. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

Fingers crossed you can get those screws out. Assuming you can it looks pretty clean. Is this the truck version? Different arms and bumper. 

You got it, the truck version 👍

Shifted 10 more screws today, so making progress 🐌

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Grumpy pants said:

You got it, the truck version 👍

Shifted 10 more screws today, so making progress 🐌

Fun. Looking forward to seeing what you turn it into. What plans? 

15 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

Fun. Looking forward to seeing what you turn it into. What plans? 

It came with the Asterion body and wheels, so for now I’ll use what I have.

Longer term it would be great to liberate the rally driver in me and reshell it as an Audi or something similar.