Grumpy pants

XV-01T Rebuild - Slow with Q’s! 😂

7 minutes ago, skom25 said:

I really still do not understand, how it is possible that it is so badly damaged.

It really looks like fake Asian videos, where they found rusty motorcycle in forest and try to restore it. These videos are quite funny, because they remove "rust" even from plastic elements :D

Just to be clear: I do not suspect that you want to be Forum star. I just do not have idea, how someone spend so much money, then throw it somewhere ( salt water?) and leave like a garbage. 

I am not saint, because in anger I threw TT-02 on the ground few times, but at least I "recycled" around 80% of parts and cheaply can rebuild it.

To me the XV looked to been well built 10 years ago, run once on the beach through sand and salt.

I suspect the electrics failed and it was put away wet and sandy and then left for another day.

When it came to me, all the electrics were dead and beyond that the damage is the metal parts, as expected all the plastics, shell, wheels and tyres are all in great order, just dirty and sandy.

Hope that helps a bit. 

@skom25 you maybe be able to help me with my motor choice as you have good experience with the XV01 chassis.

I have a choice of motors of which I’ll use -

Silver can

Torque tuned

Sport tuned

Tuned Machine Modified 

NiMH batteries on a lawned garden. 

I’m not sure what the 3rd motor down is! 

image.jpg

To be honest, I have not ran my XV-01 yet. I am still waiting to paint body and solve Radio issues 😟

Torque Tuned or Sport Tuned is safe choice, to have fun and do not think too much about maintenance. Stock Silver Can can be too slow.

Are you aware that XV-01 requires really long cables and stock Silver Can has longer cables than other motors?

XV-01 is the reason, why I learned to solder!

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, skom25 said:

To be honest, I have not ran my XV-01 yet. I am still waiting to paint body and solve Radio issues 😟

Torque Tuned or Sport Tuned is safe choice, to have fun and do not think too much about maintenance. Stock Silver Can can be too slow.

Are you aware that XV-01 requires really long cables and stock Silver Can has longer cables than other motors?

XV-01 is the reason, why I learned to solder!

Excellent, thank you 👍

Ok so I feel like I’m in a good place now with this project, all parts have been thoroughly cleaned, even if they are just for the bin.

Still some bits to work on, bearings stuck on drive cups, metal parts that will need to be polished.

There will be no doubt some parts casualties on the way, I’ll do my best to keep this to a minimum and use spares I already have. 

It’s been a lovely ‘T’ morning, but the real world beckons now 😂

image.jpg

• Like 2

Be really careful with metal parts. Sometimes is better to say stop even if result is not perfect, than make one step too much and damage parts.

Few days ago I destroyed to sets of bearings and few Hex Ball Connectors because of that 🙄

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, skom25 said:

Be really careful with metal parts. Sometimes is better to say stop even if result is not perfect, than make one step too much and damage parts.

Few days ago I destroyed to sets of bearings and few Hex Ball Connectors because of that 🙄

I’ve had good success with this polish - 

image.jpg

• Like 1

Are you sure that you need to polish parts, if they are not rusty?

Most of them have that black coating, which should not be removed I believe.

27 minutes ago, skom25 said:

Are you sure that you need to polish parts, if they are not rusty?

Most of them have that black coating, which should not be removed I believe.

I’m just going to polish any stainless steel or chrome parts that have traces of rust on the still.

Shock rods, shock springs, those type of items. 

If it’s not rusty or black coated I’ll leave it alone 👍

• Like 1