GTodd

Can I bash a Juggernaut 2?

Welp, just impulse bid on a Juggernaut 2 and won for less than 500 us. A bargain if you ask me. 

I love the Clodbuster, it's one of my gotos for running rc with my son in the backyard. IT hasn't broken yet, I just plug it in and it goes. 

Searching for a Bullhead so that we can drive together I found a listing for a Jugg2 here in the US. I posted a max bid of 510 and won it at 481!

Now the Question, can I drive it like a clod? Are the plastics, ie trans gears, axles, and other associated plastics the same as the TXT1/2? Other than some specific Jugg 2 parts can I drive this with abandon as my son and I do with the clod?

What spares should I stack up on?

• Like 1

I replied to your other thread, but in general the plastics are old and will crack if you run it.  If the leaf spring shackle mounts are not already broken they will be soon, but luckily there is a guy on Ebay who sells machined versions. 

Internal axle gears and trans gears are the same as TXT, but housings are different due to the leaf springs. 

They're meant to be driven so go ahead and use it, but there are some Jugg 2 parts that are hard to find.  If you do nothing else replace the stock driveshafts.  They're awful and will wear quickly.  Replace with Traxxas or Axial shafts. 

If I remember correctly it’s the outdrives for the axles, and then clod wheel hubs and clod wheels. 

I've had JConcepts wheels on mine for a while, but pretty sure Clod wheels bolt right up to a Jugg, no need to change the stub shafts.  I know on the TXT-2 the shafts need to be changed, but can't remember for sure on the Jugg.   I'll take a look when I get a chance.

30 minutes ago, 87lc2 said:

I've had JConcepts wheels on mine for a while, but pretty sure Clod wheels bolt right up to a Jugg, no need to change the stub shafts.  I know on the TXT-2 the shafts need to be changed, but can't remember for sure on the Jugg.   I'll take a look when I get a chance.

Ahhhhh maybe that's what I had confused!

1 hour ago, GTodd said:

Ahhhhh maybe that's what I had confused!

Yea, I can never remember the differences because I've had Clod tires/wheels on all of my trucks for so long, but I know for a fact the TXT-2 needs new stub shafts because of those goofy wheels they put on it, but I think the TXT-1 & Juggs are good to go.  May need new plastic adapters but other than that its a direct replacement.   I'm about 90% sure of that the more I think about it :) 

I’ve got Mammoth axles which are the same as Jugg I’m pretty sure and they don’t bolt up, they need shimmed/replaced with Clod outdrives. 

Dug up my RC - Caraction articles, review of the Jug states that the Clod wheels will bolt up, Ill know in about a week for sure!!!!

Is it recomended to use diff putty in the differentials in order to add some limmited diff effect to them?

I checked out my Jugg and afraid I can't be of much help here - mine is so modified I don't even know if I have the original stub shafts in or Clod shafts :)  Sorry about that.  Judging from that photo it looks like the short shaft and they should bolt up, but as @ad456 said the Mammoth uses long shafts and its technically the same as the Jugg - however, the Mammoth used its own wheels which may have used longer shafts...At this point I'm just as confused as anyone so let us know if they work!  If not you'll just need Clod stub shafts which are readily available.

Anyway - I wouldn't put putty in the diffs if you're going to be fun-running it in open spaces like your Clod.  No reason to put more stress on the fragile gears in there.  Plenty of guys have locked TXT diffs with putty/JB Weld but that's mostly on crawlers.  What will break gears is landing from jumps under power which would not be a consideration for a crawler type truck.

Excited to see what you think of it, definitely a different beast than the Clod, that's for sure.  I think if I had to choose I'd take a Jugg, its just a more interesting truck. 

If you really want to limit diff action but not hurt anything go ahead and pack them as full as possible with grease.  I think I have red & tacky loaded in the diffs of my basher TXT-2 and it performs well, definitely better than wide open diffs but not enough resistance to break anything.