2Dover3D

Do you run shelf queens and what season is your favorite?

I enjoy running my cars even tho people call me crazy for running "shelf queens," but I just love vintage RC cars and trucks. That's why I dont bash. I usually just do some light runs here and there, then put it on the shelf. I just started collecting in April 2022, so yeah, I am late, but I was able to run in all seasons and conditions from summer heat to winter snow, and I found myself loving the fall season. I recently ran my blackfoot III the other day, and I just loved the crisp Kool Air and running wild in the leaves. I had a lot of fun. Plus, your motor doesn’t get as hot like the summer runs, lol. Wich season and weather conditions do you prefer to run? Lets see some pics!

Screenshot_20231027_145554_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20231028_142554_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20231027_150134_Instagram.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, 2Dover3D said:

I enjoy running my cars even tho people call me crazy for running "shelf queens," but I just love vintage RC cars and trucks. That's why I dont bash. I usually just do some light runs here and there, then put it on the shelf. I just started collecting in April 2022, so yeah, I am late, but I was able to run in all seasons and conditions from summer heat to winter snow, and I found myself loving the fall season. I recently ran my blackfoot III the other day, and I just loved the crisp Kool Air and running wild in the leaves. I had a lot of fun. Plus, your motor doesn’t get as hot like the summer runs, lol. Wich season and weather conditions do you prefer to run? Lets see some pics!

Screenshot_20231027_145554_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20231028_142554_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20231027_150134_Instagram.jpg

Nice rc!I bash all my rc cars,but they are pretty common so if something (rarely) breaks then i have a way to fix it.Because all my rc cars are offroad and rally then it doesnt really matter what season.rc 24/7!!!

• Like 1

Other than the "Hot Trick" Fox, I run all of my stuff. But I hardly ever "bash" or beat my stuff up anymore, it just seems foolish. I'm more interested in improving my skills as a driver.

If you ask me, it's crazy if you DON'T occasionally run your shelf queens!

• Like 3

I only have one shelf queen an original never run fox which i am afraid of breaking parts on because the plastic will be brittle.

• Like 3

I don't do shelf queens. Racing an Avante Black is a cringe moment whenever I crash it. But I'd sooner that than not run it at all.

• Like 4

I run all my cars as well.  The ones that get dirty I make duplicates and run those outdoors.  

IMG_2023-5-7-162849.jpg.8aa03fab6af0976c1fa4ca166e15aa05.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Willy iine said:

I run all my cars as well.  The ones that get dirty I make duplicates and run those outdoors.  

The dirt is not my concern (for shelf queens), it‘s more the scratches on the chassis, suspension arms, front bumper… especially if these parts are not longer available.
So I protect all these part with fiber reinforced tape before I run my cars.

Or for racing I create a „duplicate“ by using 3D printed plastic or carbon parts to save the original ones as I have done (or exaggerated) with my Dyna Blaster…

img_9170dziyu.jpeg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, twaleta said:

Nice rc!I bash all my rc cars,but they are pretty common so if something (rarely) breaks then i have a way to fix it.Because all my rc cars are offroad and rally then it doesnt really matter what season.rc 24/7!!!

Thanks! 

11 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

Other than the "Hot Trick" Fox, I run all of my stuff. But I hardly ever "bash" or beat my stuff up anymore, it just seems foolish. I'm more interested in improving my skills as a driver.

If you ask me, it's crazy if you DON'T occasionally run your shelf queens!

Thats exactly what I say. Why build it of you cant run it? Lol

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Super ally said:

I only have one shelf queen an original never run fox which i am afraid of breaking parts on because the plastic will be brittle.

I hear you ok that one!

10 hours ago, naturbo2000 said:

I don't do shelf queens. Racing an Avante Black is a cringe moment whenever I crash it. But I'd sooner that than not run it at all.

Yeah that avante black is a gem!

10 hours ago, Willy iine said:

IMG_2023-5-7-162849.jpg.8aa03fab6af0976c1fa4ca166e15aa05.jpg

Thats big money talk right there! Love those kyosho bugs I have to get one one day! 

26 minutes ago, 2Dover3D said:

Thats big money talk right there! Love those kyosho bugs I have to get one one day! 

Thanks, yeah, these Beetles are fantastic cars for bashing outside.  They drive so well out of the box and my favorite RWD buggy.  It's really that body's aero and added weight that help tame things down.  It drives night day better than its little sister, the Scorpion.  I highly recommend the car.. and they're friendly to the wallet too as it's such a simple design they don't require much to maintain.. basically just damper oil and tires.  B)

I make it a point to run everything at least once. No point in letting all that mechanical goodness sit around unused, just because the rest of the car is too pretty or rare to mess up. But I sometimes have sacrifical "runner" tires or bodies I use, to keep the originals fresh.

That said, I do have quite a few cars I haven't driven yet. Usually because of mechanical failures I haven't yet straightened out, like the DOA original Acoms radio gear that's still in the heavily-modified Striker I bought last year. But it looks great on the shelf, so I'm in no hurry. Or the Kyosho Progress I painstakingly rebuilt from a basket case, trying to keep as much original as I could, including the original "spot-welder special" MSC, which, the moment I first switched it on, shorted out and started smoking, true to its reputation. I have a newer "Heavy Duty" Kyosho MSC to install in its place; I just haven't done it yet.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, naturbo2000 said:

Agree with this. I don't have any shelf queens. I have runners that spend some of their time on a shelf. I'd never buy a car with the sole intention of just sticking it on a shelf.

• Like 2

I don't have any off-road shelf queens, I did don't think that makes sense unless it's a got some sentimental value (or is irreplaceable). The buggies all have a decent amount of ground clearance that you can run them in a big enough open space.

My touring cars however... Some are set up for "that shelf life" with like 1mm of ground clearance :lol: so no, I'm not running those bodyshells. I'm less prescious about on-road chassis, with the exception of the carbon fibre plated ones. In my collection I have a custom F103GT, TA02SW and a TA03F all with carbon plates... Yes I'm scared to run those. I have found a local basketball court which is incredibly smooth so I might bite the bullet. But then I'm scared of being spotted playing with toy cars in such a public place :lol:

All mine are shelf queens In the winter!;)  I don’t normally use them in the cold weather I just hibernate but this winter (well next year actually) I’m dipping my toes into racing again just once a month on a Sunday on a fun casual get together basis so the cougar LD2 is out for upgrading!

IMG_0293.jpeg

There's only 2 cars on the planet (maybe...) that I would have as shelf queens. My original Ultima and Optima mid I raced bitd. I've spoken to both the people I sold them to 30+ years ago, the Mid was left in the loft, at a house where he had to do a midnight flit (might still be there, might be getting used, might be decomposing in land fill....), the Ultima is seemingly still in his loft, I offered decent money for it back, but he's not got in touch again, so....🤷‍♂️.

This year I've not done much RC'ing, but usually run in all weather's. Pretty much run everything in the summer, either at the club on Astro, or the local park on grass, then switch to a carpet set up for the indoor racing, winter months.

The Bullhead is good fun in the snow, attaching a sledge, and pulling the kids about (needed a bit of a push, to get going), and tried paddle tyres on the Yokomo racing truck, and......🫣

2022-01-16_06-10-58

• Like 1

Mine are more "junkyard queens" than shelf queens and they've all been driven, some just get driven more frequently or more carefully than others.

For me, I think I like winter and spring the best because of a lack of annoying insects. We're kind of surrounded by lakes and swamps here, so summertime is too buggy to stand in one spot for too long, and it's definitely way too buggy to walk slowly through the woods. Fall is better, but can be tough with leaves getting caught in the driveshafts etc.

Only two of my cars are "winterized" but that's enough for long challenging trail walks and drifting in fresh powder :D

• Like 1

I drive all of my cars. Some get kid gloves to the max though. It seems that something inevitably flips over no matter how careful I drive.

I like driving off road in the Fall. The ground is typically drier and the grass has gone dormant so it isn't as thick. The leaves can be annoying though for sure. I don't like driving in mud and I avoid the cold because the plastic gets too brittle. I run on road any time of year as long as it is dry and there is no salt residue on the surface.

If I run a shelf queen is no more a shelf queen, it's a runner.
If I build a NIB is no more a NIB, is a new built.

Max

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1